Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Qwest thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
My mother Amina Laila really stood behind me. She sacrificed a lot.' -- RUNA LAILA How was life as a child star?
Combining music and studies was tough, but it paid dividends. At times I would feel upset at not being able to play with my friends and so on. My mother Amina Laila really stood behind me. She sacrificed a lot. I didn't have the patience for riyaaz, etc., and she would explain that I would reap the benefit later. I have a younger brother and a sister. But I was never a star at home and am still not, and I like it that way.

How did you start singing playback?

We lived in Karachi at the time. My dad was in the Civil Services. I had won an inter-school competition organised by Radio Pakistan in Karachi when I was nine, and when a producer came from Lahore looking for a child who could sing for a 12-year-old boy, they were told they could ask my parents!

How easy was it to take popular music as a profession?

There are pre-conceived notions that people in these industry is 'bad'. But you come to know it is work like any other. At first my parents were quite reluctant, but I had always cherished a dream of becoming a playback singer. My mum used to go with me everywhere. My dad was supportive.

Later you added your brand of visual delight to your performances...

Earlier, a male or female singer would just sit and sing. But when I started singing on TV I realised people first see you, not just hear you, so you have to put some mood in it. I had a fortnightly show called Bazme-Laila, in which I sang ghazal, pop, folk, all in Urdu. I started experimenting. For every song I had a different hairstyle, different outfit. Initially it got panned quite a bit. But then the younger set started liking it.

For tickets

Daily tickets priced at Rs. 300, Rs. 200 and Rs. 100 and season tickets priced at Rs. 2,500 and Rs. 1,500 are available at Sri Krishna Sweets (Purasawalkam, Ashok Nagar and T. Nagar), Landmark (Nungambakkam), Odyssey (Adyar), Worldspace (Spencer Plaza), Music World (Anna Nagar and Spencer Plaza) and Fountainhead (Mylapore). Also at Pureit Safe Water Zone — New No. 1, Old No. 9, Anu Arcade, 1st Cross Street, Shastri Nagar. (Helpline - 2823 7373).

For online booking log on to www.thehindu.com/novemberfest

What to expect

Runa Laila's silken voice is associated with a range of songs. Though she is singing at a public performance in India after quite a gap, her fans have not forgotten her. So she promises all the old favourites like "Damadam Mast Kalandar", "Ranjish Hi Sahi", "Mera Babu Chhail Chhabila" and others. Runa brings her orchestra with her from Bangladesh. The accompaniment includes two keyboards, a tabla, an electric guitar, a bass guitar and an octopad.

Qwest thumbnail

Runa Laila

Born in a family of music lovers in Bangladesh, Runa started learning classical music at a very early age, and received vigorous training from Ustad Habibiddin Khan. She made her first public debut as a singer at the age of six and cut her first disc for a Pakistani film called "Jugnu" at the age of twelve. Runa's carrier as a singer came by accident. It was her elder sister Dina who first got the break, but on the day of her performance, she developed a sore throat and Runa was asked to stand in. She was so little that she could not hold the 'tanpura'. She held it horizontally and sang a 'kheyal'. And she became an instant hit. Sister Dina would have followed in her footsteps, but she had to give up singing when she married. She later died of cancer. In memory of her sister, Runa held six concerts in Bangladesh and donated the entire proceeds to a children's hospital in Dhaka to build a cancer ward which has been named after her sister.

Runa can sing in seventeen languages. Besides her native Bengali, she is also proficient in Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Sindi, Gujrati, Poshtu, Baluchi, Arabic, Persian, Malay, Nepalese, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French and of course in the English language. Runa Laila has also earned wide fame for her stage and TV performances, specially in Pakistan, where Runa Laila is considered as their own. She has been immensely popular with film goers as well in that country. She has had her own television series fortnightly in Pakistan called Bazme-Laila which had been widely acclaimed by critics and audience. She appeared in the popular Pakistan series Yes Sir - No Sir in which she proved to be able match to Moen Akhtar, the celebrated host of the chat show.

Runa has sung and recorded well over 5000 songs to date. She will feature in the Guiness Book of Records for recording the largest number of songs in a single day. This happened in Bombay, where she cut four albums recording 40 songs: 30 of these in three days.

Besides being a household name in her home country, Bangladesh, she is famous in neighboring India and Pakistan too. She is also well known among the Asian expatriates all over the world, including the United States, Europe and the Middle East and Far East.

In India, she is the Dama dam girl, who almost posed a threat to the near-monopoly of the invincible singing sisters of Lata Mangeskar and Asha Bhosle. Runa was an over-night hit when she made a sensational entry into the Hindi filmdom with her Ek Se Badkar Ek which she sang for the film Ek Se Badkar Ek in 1974. Music lovers all over India were swinging to the rhythmic beat of Dama Dam Mast Qalander. Her songs in Gharonda, which was released later, also went down very well with Indian audience. After that she withdrew from Bombay, but still remained popular in the south Asian country. She has since made occasional forays to the "Hollywood of the East" to make albums, all of which turned out to be best-sellers. Her toe-tapping "Super-Runa", which she cut for EMI Music Company along with Bappi Lahiri, has won her gold and platinum discs. She recorded "Loves of RUna Laila", with celebrated film music director of Pakistan Nayyar which has gone double platinum. She has recorded in some more Hindi films since including "Jane-Bahar", "Sapan Ka Mandir" and the Amitabh Bachchan starred "Agni Path".

Runa has travelled to several parts of the world to give performances. She has had concerts in North America and Canada many times and had given recitals at the Kennedy Center in Washington and at the Lincoln Center and Madison Square Gardens in New York. In London, Royal Albert Hall, Wembley Arena and Wembley Conference Center have been venues for her successful programs many times. She has also performed in many other parts of the world, including Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Nepal, Malaysia, Holland, Singapore, Hong Kong, Sweden, Oman, Doha, India and Pakistan. She has also done a lot of charity concerts all over the world for several worthwhile causes.

During her long and distinguished career in music, she has received around 150 awards in various countries. They include the Saigal Award in India, Nigar Award (twice), Critics Award, Graduate Award (twice) as well as gold medals by the National Council of Music as the best singer of the year in Pakistan and the Independence Day Award and National Film Award (twice) in Bangladesh.

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
Qwest thumbnail

</>

1. Kya Aese Kam

2. Aese Chup Hain

3. Tham tham Kar

4. Tu Khafa Hai

5. Zakhm Ko Phool

6. Piya Aaja Sawan

7. Badra Le Ja Neer

8. To Aaja Sanwariya

9. Kahe Kiya Maine

10. Saiyyan Ja Re Ja

11. Mera Bhola Sanwariya

Qwest thumbnail
Hindi Song Title: Do diwaane shahar me
Hindi Movie/Album Name:
GHARONDA
Singer(s): RUNA LAILA & BHUPENDRA

Hindi Lyrics: do diwaane shahar me, raat mein yaa dopahar mein
aabodaanaa dhoondhate hai, yek aashiyaanaa dhoondhate hain

in bhoolabhoolaiyyaa galiyon mein apanaa bhee koee yek ghar hogaa
anbar pe khoolegee khidakee, yaa khidakee pe khulaa anbar hogaa
asamaanee rang kee aakhon me, basane kaa bahaanaa dhoondhate hain

jab taare jameen par jalate hain, aakaash jameen ho jaataa hain
us raat naheen fir ghar jaataa, wo chaand yahee so jaataa hain
palabhar ke liye in aakhon mein, hum yek jamaanaa dhoondhate hain

Qwest thumbnail

Committed to PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW

A fte of classics
Picture

(L-R) Khairul Anam Shakil, Mahiuzzaman Chowdhury, Shaheen Samad, Mita Haq and Chandana Majumdar rendering the national anthem(top), Sabina Yasmeen performing at the event(bottom). PHOTO: STAR

A fte of classics
Celebrating timeless Bangla songs of last 100 years
Karim Waheed

Although Bangla music embarked on its journey centuries ago, the last 100 years have been particularly momentous for the medium. This epoch saw the emergence of titanic talents such as Rabindranath Tagore, Kazi Nazrul Islam, DL Roy, Atul Prasad, Rajnikant, Hason Raja and many more.
These immensely talented poets and musicians have enriched Bangla music in a way that decades after, it's still considered to be a source of pride for Bangalees. Few nations in the world can boast of an opulent heritage in music like Bangalees can. Incidentally, in 1905, inspired by a Baul song Ami kothae pabo tarey, Tagore composed a remarkable song that extols the splendor of our motherland. That song, Amar shonar Bangla ami tomae bhalobashi went on to become our national anthem. In 2005 Amar shonar Bangla completed its 100 years of existence.

To celebrate the last 100 years of Bangla music, the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd (HSBC) put together a musical soiree at Bangladesh-China Friendship Conference, Dhaka on February 24.

The colossal event pulled in the who's who in the social and cultural scene. The line-up of performers was impressive. Including several A-listed artistes to perform Bangla songs, composed over the last 100 years that have attained the status of 'classics' back to back, is no trivial achievement. HSBC deserves kudos for that.

In his speech, corporate banking head of HSBC, Mahbub-ur-Rahman said, "This programme is a reflection of HSBC's intention to promote local culture and heritage as well as diversity." Steve Banner, CEO of the bank said, "This event couldn't have been possible without involvement of the country's noted singers, musicians and researchers." Music exponent Dr Karunamoy Goswami and educationist Professor Abdullah Abu Syed also spoke at the event. Dr Goswami, Professor Abu Syed and Abus Shakur selected the songs performed at the event.

The main event started with an instrumental presentation of DL Roy's Dhanodhanyo pushpobhora amader ei bashundhora followed by a choral rendition of the national anthem. Artistes Shaheen Samad, Khairul Anam Shakil, Mita Haq, Mahiuzzaman Chowdhury and others rendered the song. The drift of nationalism among the poets and musicians during the early 1900s that made way for scores of magnificent patriotic songs was evident in the selection of songs from that era -- Bango amar janoni amar, Jagao pathik o shejey ghumey ocheton and more. Ekbar bidaye de ma, ghurey ashi, a song about Khudiram, a young activist who became iconic during the 'Quit India' movement was rendered by Samina Chowdhury.

Chandana Majumdar presented an emotive rendition of Hason Raja's Matiro pinjirar majhey bondi hoiyya re, Mita Haq and Mahiuzzaman Chowdhury performed a romantic duet Sheydin dujoney dulechhinu bon-e.

Shaheen Samad rendered Nazrul's Bangla ghazals bagichaye bulbuli tui and E kon madhur sharab diley. Ghazals originated in Farsi and were first popularised in Bangla by Kazi Nazrul Islam. Mita Haq performed Ami tokhono chhilem mogono gohono ghumer ghorey, a Tagore song illustrating the state of nature as well as psyche in monsoon. This year marks the 100th birth anniversary of SD Burman. As homage to the brilliant musician, Khairul Anam Shakil performed Tumi je giyachho bokul bichhano pothey, composed by Burman.

A rendition of Amar bhai-er roktey rangano ekushey February, a song written by Abdul Gaffar Chowdhury and composed by Shaheed Altaf Mahmud that attained emblematic status during the Language Movement led the line up of songs from the '50s. Shahnaz Rahmatullah performed Shagorer teer thekey. The seasoned crooner received a warm response from the audience.

Apel Mahmud presented a zealous rendition of Mora ekti phoolke banchabo boley juddho kori, a song that boosted the morale of freedom fighters as well as the masses during the Liberation War. Farida Parveen sang Ei Padma ei Meghna and Tomra bhuley gechho Mallikadir naam. Sabina Yasmeen performed Keu konodin amarey tho kotha dilo na from the movie Shundori, Agun performed Orey neel dariya from Shareng Bou.

The final segment of the event included Shobkota janala khuley dao na by Sabina Yasmeen, Kabita porar prohor eshechhey by Samina Chowdhury and Mon shudhu mon chhuenchhey by Nakib Khan. The programme wrapped up with a rendition of Ami Banglae gaan gai, a song written by Pratul Bandyopadhyay years ago, which rekindled patriotic emotions among the listeners recently.

Till a century ago music, dance, painting, namely all art forms received patronage from emperors, kings and nawabs. Times have changed but the need for patronage still remains. Multinational companies have replaced the rajas and nawabs in the roles. The programme celebrating classic Bangla songs from the last 100 years, organised by HSBC, is a demonstration of how organisations can play a key role in upholding cultural practices. Music enthusiasts will look forward to more such quality programmes.
Qwest thumbnail

On This Page Information About

Robindrogeet
The music of Rabindranath Tagore ( 1861 - 1941 )

Through his Own Words

" I have introduced, some new elements in our music, I know. I have composed 500 new tunes, perhaps more.
This is a parallel growth to my poetry. Anyhow, I love this aspect of my activity.
I get lost in my songs and then I think that those are my best work; I get quite intoxicated.
I often think that, if all my poetry is forgotten, my songs will live with my country men and have a permanent place....
All the same, I know the artistic value of my songs. They have a great beauty.
Though they will not be known outside my province, and much of my work will gradually be lost,
I leave them as a legacy "

In Bengal, India around 1932
There is in Bengal no cultured home where Rabindranath's songs are not sung or at least attempted to be sung
..even illiterate villagers sing his songs...

Through: Krishna Dutta:
(Tagore scholar and author  of the 2003 book "Calcutta A cultural and literary history"  )
Yet it has to be admitted that if one does not know Bengali, Rabindrasangit may sound plaintive and monotonous......
But as someone who has lived in the West for a long time, I also realize that there is
no hope of  fully sharing these feelings with non-Bengalis.
But so much of the success of its rendition depends on an exquisite balance between
intelligence, emotion, restraint and spontaneity - not to speak of sensitive instrumental accompaniment.

Through: Geoffery Moorhouse
( Author: in his 1971-1988 book "Calcutta the city revealed" )
...Gitanjali was intended to be heard with ( Tagore's ) music that few Westerners have ever appreciated.....

Through: N.M. Mustapha
( author of 1975 "Our Music a historical study" )
..His music has much color, truth and intimacy of expression and the abstract tune in his hand
has become fully saturated with feeling and emotional fervor....

Through: Robinson Andrew
( author : e.g.  "Rabindranath Tagore the myriad minded man" 1995 )
The truth is that unless one can understand the words of  Tagore songs, they quickly begin to sound monotonous
- though a small selection, carefully made, is usually convincing of his melodic gift and its range.

Through: Hans Vermeersch
( artistic leader RHO, translator & arranger of Indian music )
Tagore was one of the very few Asians to cross the barrier between Indian and European music.
By traveling all over the world he witnessed the music of the country where he was and
substantially composed his music with the said music still in his ears. And this is of course the major
difficulty with Tagore: how to recognize the music composed under influence of a Western country and how to
recognize the music with a pure Indian touch. While arranging one
( with Indian and European musical background ) really gets a quite better insight.
To say whether the music is monotonous is depending on the cultural background and musical experience of the listener.

AND
NAZRULGEET
The music of Qazi Nazrul Islam ( 1899 - 1976 )
Through: Vermeersch Hans
What is said about Tagore is certainly true about Nazrul.
Being a more or less contemporary of Tagore he had not the benefit of traveling the world and also not of the
Western contacts Tagore could afford. In this way it is highly interesting to meet the music of this Indian maestro.
Unfortunately where the music of Tagore is unknown to the world so is the music of Nazrul.
It is truly beautiful to perform Nazruls music next to Tagores. That is a real treat. The joining of two great maestros of Bengal in
one concert. Even if a westerner does not know the meaning of the lyrics, if skillfully arranged the music is timeless in beauty.

Kazi Nazrul Islam: Known as "The Bidrohi Kobi," "The rebel Poet" for his astonishing masterpiece "The Bidrohi."
A furious manifesto of self-conscious against immorality. Sajid Kamal describes the poem as,
 "A universal proclamation, an affirmation, an inspiration, an invocation, of 'The Rebel' within the hearts of each 'I' of the
 common humanity which lay oppressed, subjugated, exploited, resigned and powerless."
It is said that Nazrul would have been Nazrul even if he hadn't written anything else but " The Bidrohi."

The national poet of Bangladesh, Kazi Nazrul Islam was born in Churulia, Burdhaman district, West Bengal in 1899 (1306 Bengali year.)
He didn't grow up with the luxury of enjoying his boyhood, rather lost his father in his early life. For financial hardship,
he worked as a teacher in a lower "Islamic school," at the age of 9. His education went up to 10th grade but
continued learning Arabic and Persian languages. As a boy, he translated Persian ghazals and Arabic writings in Bengali.
 He also educated himself enough to enjoy the writings of Keats, Shelly and Whitman.

The British rule of India influenced Nazrul to take an active part through his writings in the Swadishi and Khilafat movement.
He was imprisoned by the British government for one year of hard labor for his writing "Andamoyeer Agamaney," which appeared in Dhumketu.

Rabindranath Tagore called him "Dhumketu," "The Comet," Mahatma Gandhi described his poetry as, "The song of the spinning wheel"
and "Nazrul is the ultimate spirit of the spinning wheel and freedom runs through his vein."

Nazrul wrote 50 books of poetry and songs, 6 books of stories and novels, 3 books of translations, 53 plays, verse plays and operas,
2 movie scripts, 5 books of essays and 4000 songs and ghazals. (Source: Nazrul Institute, Bangladesh.)

Nazrul holds the world record of recorded songs, most of which, the music were composed by Nazrul himself. (Source: Nazrul Institute.) 

The Rebel Poet Kazi Nazrul Islam, not only refused to compromise with the unjust, but carried on so much of agony throughout his entire life.
His first son Krishna Mohammed died in less than a year of his birth; his second son Bulbul also died in his childhood.
 Broken-hearted Nazrul wrote his first Bengali ghazal...

His wife Pramila became paralyzed from her waist down in 1938. Nazrul found himself more hopeless and depressed.
Starting in 1942, he felt loss of speeches and finally became mentally dysfunctional and lost his speech completely in a short time.

As his final wish, in 29th of August in1976, The national poet of Bangladesh Kazi Nazrul Islam was laid to eternal rest by the mosque of Dhaka University

Qwest thumbnail

Krishno 

</>ARTISTs: Habib Wahid

by Habib Wahid

by Habib Wahid

by Habib Wahid

by Habib Wahid

by Habib Wahid

by Habib Wahid

by Habib Wahid