Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mystic786 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
I am well aware of the fact that the Ptolemaic Kingdom was a Hellenistic Kingdom which was based in Egypt. But Ptolemy I Soter did declare himself to be the Pharaoh of Egypt and both he and his successors did adopt the title of Pharaoh. 
What I meant by the "Greeks not sending Dionysius to the Mauryan court" is that the Seleucid Empire did not send him like they had previously sent his predecessors i.e. Megasthenes and Deimakos. 
I got what you meant. My contention was that Ptolemy I was a subsidiary or tributary of the broader Seleucid Kingdom that spanned across Africa and Central Asia, so in a way it was the Greek Empire sending an emissary. Like sometimes a foreign dignitary or head of state is invited by a Provincial/State ruler of a country, instead of the Executive Head of that Nation. 
babur1527 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Yep. Egypt was part of the Greek Empire.
I am curious though. How did the Seleucid-Maurya relation pan out? Did the Greek consorts of the Mauryan Emperors bore them any sons? What happened to them?

Alas. All we can do is speculate.
capricornrcks thumbnail
The only thing I know about the Selucids was that Cleopatra is a scion of that dynasty.I vaguely remember that Seleucus married into the existing Egyptian dynasty. And that the Selucids were not quite right in the head.

Another reason for Bindusar's hatred for Ashok was given in Wytze Keuning's novel. Bindusar supposedly feared that Ashok would take after Ajatshatru( a previous king of Magadh) and commit patricide.
Edited by capricornrcks - 8 years ago
Yeah, Cleopatra was a Ptolemite. Her eldest son Caesarion had visited India for a brief period, though no Indian records hold proof of it. 
capricornrcks thumbnail
Originally posted by: krystal_watz

Yeah, Cleopatra was a Ptolemite. Her eldest son Caesarion had visited India for a brief period, though no Indian records hold proof of it. 

Wow  that's news to me.😲I didn't know Caesarion lived long enough  to visit  India. I thought Octavian had put a period on him long back when he was just a child to ensure that no heirs of Julius Caesar were left to make a claim on Rome. Now Octavian was one ruthless guy.He can give Chandashok a run for his money any day.

Edited by capricornrcks - 8 years ago
Originally posted by: capricornrcks

Wow  that's news to me.😲I didn't know Caesarion lived long enough  to visit  India. I thought Octavian had put a period on him long back when he was just a child to ensure that no heirs of Julius Caesar were left to make a claim on Rome. Now Octavian was one ruthless guy.He can give Chandashok a run for his money any day.

Actually, his mother tried to save him by sending him to the Indies, but he was somehow lured back by Octavian's agents.