Ashoka: A fanfic: Chapter 20: The Interlude (Page 46)

Posted: 8 years ago

credit: Shelly aka musicndance2

An OS written for all the mistreated actors and characters in the CAS. Hopefully I do justice to them all.

Chapter 1: The oath

Patliputra 7 days later...

Radhagupt was wandering aimlessly in the corridors of the Patliputra palace. It was unusual of him to do so. He was always disciplined and did his tasks as his Acharya instructed him to. Aimless wondering or time wasting was not in his nature. Acharya Chanakya always ensured that.

A bile rose into his throat. Acharya Chanakya. His heart throbbed painfully as he fought the tears from breaking out once again. Acharya Chanakya. The hero of Magadh. The man who gave everything for Magadh had such an unceremonious end to his life. Burned in a hut they said. At least initially. Murdered by Daastan, they later said. Radhagupt believed none of it. An outsider like Daastan could never get Chanakya. Nor would Chanakya be so careless that someone would just burn him in a hut.

Radhagupt wasn't a stranger to the fact that Chanakya had his adversaries. As Chanakya's disciple he knew full well that there were many people who wanted him dead. Acharya had more enemies than he had friends. It's part and parcel of being in the political landscape of Magadh. Especially if the part and parcel required him to protect the royal family. Samrat Bindusar, Rani Dharma and Rajkumar Ashok to be specific.

Radhagupt found himself near a balcony. Overlooking the training ground in Patliputra. All the princes and warriors of Patliputra were training. 

Ashok was training with Vasunandan and Subhao. They were his most diligent students at the Rajkiya Vidyale. Humble as well. Ashok has been a good influence on them. Subhao and Vasunandan were showing Ashok how to defend against spear and shield wielding warriors. Ashok was set to depart for Taxilla, instead of Sushim. A series of drama lead to this change. Radhagupt knew what was going on. But he couldn't do much about it. Not with Amatya Khalnatak and Maha Rani Charumitra being so close to Samrat right now.

Speaking of which Radhagupt glanced to see Charumitra with Khalnatak who was talking to Sushim near the edge of the ground. Indrajeet, Sushim's sparring partner stood near them. Sushim wore an expression of smug arrogance as Khalnatak spoke excitedly. It was no secret that Khalnatak was an avid supporter of Sushim. They seemed unperturbed by the grief that has overtaken Patliputra. This did not surprise Radhagupt. Charumitra and Khalnatak could not stand Chanakya since he had on many occasions shown Sushim in a bad light in front of the Sabha.

Samrat Bindusar and the rest of the royal family stood under the canopy of the palace. Rani Dharma stood next to him. Her hands locked around his arms. He could see that both of them were grieving. Samrat's dried tears in his eyes mirrored Radhagupt's own. 

Rani Subrasi stood behind them holding Drupad. She gazed wistfully at the two of them. Radhagupt didn't dwell on that. As Rajmata Helena caught his eyes. Rajmata Helena seemed very happy. A rare sight. Her eyes could barely contain her joy. Radhagupt knew if anyone had reason to rejoice for Acharya Chanakya's death, it was the Rajmata. Suddenly Rajmata's expression changed. He followed her gaze towards a commotion.

An intense duel was going on. Siyamak was fighting fiercely against his sparring partner. His eyes were manic and desperate. Radhagupt could see the turmoil of emotions almost breaking out of the prince. Understandably so. Radhagupt knew what Siyamak had gone through the past few months. The young Prince had to live through the horrific shock of his mentor being a Rajdrohi. Then his grandfather. Then his mother. Not only did he lose his loved ones. They were all traitors to boot.

Siyamak's sparring partner fell under the sheer force of the sword strikes. Siyamak was about strike him with his blade but Ashok stopped him in time. Siyamak angrily looked towards Ashok and tried to break away. Ashok didn't budge. But Ashok's face showed no anger. It was sympathy. Pity. Remorse. This seemed to anger Siyamak even more and he dropped his sword. Ashok let Siyamak go who stormed off. Away from the ground. 

Helena made a move to go after Siyamak but Samrat Bindusar brushed past her. Helena stopped looking on concernedly.

Helena's sudden concern for Siyamak in many ways, was a weird thing to see for Radhagupt. Acharya Chanakya discussed it with him. But in passing. Something had happened. And Acharya intended to find out what.

So many things Acharya Chanakya was working on. Before the day he died Chanakya was talking about finishing all the enemies of Magadh in one glorious sweep. Radhagupt felt elated to see his Acharya so happy. Not even once did he think that the mission that Acharya Chanakya had started would end so tragically for him. 

Radhagupt clenched his fists as a stray tear trailed down his face. So many things Acharya had left unfinished. And his greatest dream remain unfulfilled. Watching Ashok sitting on the grand throne of Magadh.

Radhagupt sighed. The sun was setting. His eyes searched for Ashok. If there was anyone feeling more pain than himself and even Siyamak, it was Ashok. 

He saw Ashok standing in the same spot he stopped Siyamak, his shoulders drooped over. His eyes no longer care-free. So many things had happened over the past few months. The boy's life had turned upside down. It's no wonder the increasing responsibilities was starting to weigh on him. He saw Ashok sighing. His eyes suddenly snapped towards another direction. 

Radhagupt looked over to where Ashok was gazing. It was Rajkumari Ahankara with her little brother. The onlookers warily kept their distance. Not because she was a princess. Although he didn't share their misgivings, he understood them. Rajkumari Ahankara was the daughter of two known traitors. Try as much as Samrat Bindusar might, that is the stigma that this girl will always face. 

Thankfully for the girl, Ashok was by her side. Now and always from what Radhagupt could tell. The uncomfortable glances stopped and everyone dispersed. Ashok took Ahankara's little brother into his arms and started swinging him around playfully. Vasunandan and Subhao joined them. They were making weird faces trying to make the baby laugh. Ahankara gazed at Ashok affectionately as he lifted her brother over them all. The fading rays of the sun glowing around them.

Radhagupt knew Ahankara harbored feelings for Ashok. And Radhagupt suspected that Ashok reciprocated them as well. Ashok had gone above and beyond to ensure the safety of Ahankara and her brother. Then again it is Ashok. But still, it is unusual by usual standards for a Rajkumar to help someone like Ahankara to such an extent. But then again it's Ashok. Expect nothing usual from him. Acharya Chanakya dismissed his actions as purely emotional.

Radhagupt smiled despite himself. Acting on emotions did have some merit. The companionship that Ashok had earned was proof of that. Ashok, in spite of the turmoil Magadh is in now, in spite of the turmoil his heart must be in now, was smiling. And his friends were too. Just like Radhagupt.

"Acharya." a voice called him.

Radhagupt felt his body tense. After a few seconds he turned to see it was Ishwari standing with his personal guards. It felt weird. Whenever Ishwari said "Acharya", it was usually to address Acharya Chanakya. Not him. Radhagupt cleared his throat.

"What is it?" He asked hoarsely.

"Your Guptchar are back." Radhagupt drew a long breath. 

His men. Subordinates. 

His. 

It felt unnatural. The Guptchar were Chanakya's disciples like him. And he was a follower like them. He answered to Acharya Chanakya like them. And now all of them answered to him. It was surreal. Radhagupt shook his head. He cannot let such thoughts dwell in his mind. Not when Magadh and everyone in it was constantly under threat from enemies everywhere. 

He took a long stride forward as he begun walking towards Acharya Chanakya's room with Ishwari and the guards trailing him. As time will go by it will become his room. No matter how uncomfortable he felt.

He saw Siyamak had returned with Helena next to him. Helena's presence next to Siyamak was becoming a familiar sight bit by bit. They were looking towards Ashok and his friends. Their expressions were unreadable in the growing shadows. On the other side of the court Sushim, Charumitra and Khalnatak were doing the same. Except the expressions of pure contempt were clearly visible.

Radhagupt clenched his fists. His jaw locked. He tore his gaze away and continued walking. He walked through the corridors of Patliputra as the rays of the sun dimmed away, he could feel the protective aura that Chanakya projected fading away as well. Strange as it was. The feeling of increasing dread felt very real.

Radhagupt took a sharp turn and picked up his pace. Ishwari and the guards followed keeping pace with him.

Radhagupt knew that all the enemies of Magadh would set their sights on Ashok. After Acharya Chanakya, Ashok was their biggest obstacle on their path to the throne. Keechak and the Taxilla crisis will be dealt with one way or another. But, as Acharya Chanakya always said, it was the internal enemies of Magadha that remained a bigger and more mortal threat.

As darkness of the night loomed, so the did the enemies of Magadh. Radhagupt steeled his gaze as he neared the meeting place. It was time to bury all emotions. Magadh needed him. The royal family needed him. Ashok needed him.

Radhagupt halted outside Chanakya's room. He told Ishwari to go inside. He quietly instructed the guards to scour the area of enemy spies. Once they set off for reconnaissance Radhagupt waited outside Chanakya's room. The sun had set. The night begun as darkness engulfed Patliputra. Radhagupt looked towards the court as he saw Ashok with his friends walking back into the palace. The flickering light from the lamps cast a warm glow on them.

"Acharya Chanakya." Radhagupt whispered into the breeze that swept past him. "I cannot replace you. No one can replace you. But I will avenge you. I will make your dreams come true. Your final disciple will become Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat."

Edited by babur1527 - 7 years ago
Impressive...
Hope so radhagupt aisa hi kuch kare...In CAS 
First of all 👏

This forum has a surprising dearth of fanfictions. Glad to see such a marvelous piece finding its place here.

Radhagupta! Now that is a character whose portrayal in the show had left me feeling like someone poured a jug of freezing water on me. He is an supreme idiot in comparison to his teacher.
It makes me feel angry to see a character as strong and full of potential like him wasted away to give more screen space to useless vamps and stupid black magic.

Your os reminded me why the initial promos of Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat attracted me.
The politics, the mind games, the manipulations, the calculative conspiracies...that is where Radhagupta belongs. He is no warrior in the physical sense, but he can hold his ground well in the darker and political side of the court.
The character of Radhagupta you etched, has enormous potential to be exploited. The best thing is that, Radhagupta here sees things as it is. I didn't expect him to understand the nuances beneath every action like Chanakya but I did expect him to see things as they are.
The show pretty much disappointed me, but your os no doubt was brilliant.

I know reviews in this forum are very hard in coming, but that has nothing to do with your os. It is brilliant and engaging.
Do write more.

- Niki
Edited by mistofshadows - 8 years ago
Originally posted by mistofshadows

First of all 👏

This forum has a surprising dearth of fanfictions. Glad to see such a marvelous piece finding its place here.

Radhagupta! Now that is a character whose portrayal in the show had left me feeling like someone poured a jug of freezing water on me. He is an supreme idiot in comparison to his teacher.
It makes me feel angry to see a character as strong and full of potential like him wasted away to give more screen space to useless vamps and stupid black magic.

Your os reminded me why the initial promos of Chakravartin Ashoka Samrat attracted me.
The politics, the mind games, the manipulations, the calculative conspiracies...that is where Radhagupta belongs. He is no warrior in the physical sense, but he can hold his ground well in the darker and political side of the court.
The character of Radhagupta you etched, has enormous potential to be exploited. The best thing is that, Radhagupta here sees things as it is. I didn't expect him to understand the nuances beneath every action like Chanakya but I did expect him to see things as they are.
The show pretty much disappointed me, but your os no doubt was brilliant.

I know reviews in this forum are very hard in coming, but that has nothing to do with your os. It is brilliant and engaging.
Do write more.

- Niki

Thanks for reading. And thank you for the review. I share your opinions in so many ways. This show was about how Ashok, the warrior prince overcame the political intrigues and the battles to become the Samrat of Magadh. It's a shame the CVs cannot maintain the standards they themselves set.

Let's see. Hope the show improves. I will write more stories when I have time to spare. You continue your stories as well. I might get some inspiration from them. 

Thanks again.
Edited by babur1527 - 8 years ago
Originally posted by Imashkara

Impressive...
Hope so radhagupt aisa hi kuch kare...In CAS 

Same here. Radhagupt deserves screen time.

Thanks for the review. 😊
Babur!!!!
This is just so awesome...
I could picturise each scene...
So well written... Masha Allah...
Blockbuster piece of writing 👏👏I wish cvs were half as good as this. This is just so good to read and visualize these scenes. ⭐️
Ashoka needs a mentor and as strong as this RG. It will bring the missing royalty back to the show. All other characters are too thakela right now😭 

Thanks for sharing babur.😊 
Originally posted by musicndance2

Babur!!!!
This is just so awesome...
I could picturise each scene...
So well written... Masha Allah...

Originally posted by ramsha_001

Blockbuster piece of writing 👏👏I wish cvs were half as good as this. This is just so good to read and visualize these scenes. ⭐️
Ashoka needs a mentor and as strong as this RG. It will bring the missing royalty back to the show. All other characters are too thakela right now😭 

Thanks for sharing babur.😊 

Thanks for reading guys. Yep. I miss the Guru-Shishya dynamic. Will we ever see it again? That's a toss up.
Babur 👏👏👏  this is just fantastic writing
I could just see the scene unfold in your words. 

Radhagupta is give the most raw deal by CAS writers.  He was PM of Samrat Ashok and a very prominent player on team Ashok.  What a potentially fantastic positive character.

What is more he is trained by Chanakya and is not bound by goody two shoes Ashok that Ashok has to be at times.  Radhagupta can be ruthless or manipulative, counter plotting against vamps and villains.  Run circles around them with Chanakya's spy network - CVs have turned him into a prop!
Radhagupta can be the dirty tricks department of Ashok.  We are sick of the saints and predictable foolish characters.  Why can't a positive character be manipulative?

Radhagupta should be developed to somewhat fulfill the big void left by Chanakya's abrupt exit

Babur wish we get the Radhagupta we are craving for.  Please continue your OS, again fabulously written.

Originally posted by MaddyO

Babur 👏👏👏  this is just fantastic writing
I could just see the scene unfold in your words. 

Radhagupta is give the most raw deal by CAS writers.  He was PM of Samrat Ashok and a very prominent player on team Ashok.  What a potentially fantastic positive character.

What is more he is trained by Chanakya and is not bound by goody two shoes Ashok that Ashok has to be at times.  Radhagupta can be ruthless or manipulative, counter plotting against vamps and villains.  Run circles around them with Chanakya's spy network - CVs have turned him into a prop!
Radhagupta can be the dirty tricks department of Ashok.  We are sick of the saints and predictable foolish characters.  Why can't a positive character be manipulative?

Radhagupta should be developed to somewhat fulfill the big void left by Chanakya's abrupt exit

Babur wish we get the Radhagupta we are craving for.  Please continue your OS, again fabulously written.

Thank you so much Medha for taking the time to read and review. Yes, we all wish Ashok has a good supporting cast. But unfortunately these are Indian CVs. One man army is the only formula they know. 

The way the Taxilla track is panning out, I might continue this story even though I intended it as a one off. CAS is riding on Sid's charm. It has no elements of politics left. Atleast not implemented by the protagonist or his supporters. They are busy babymaking and arranging funerals. The less I can say about the CAS version of Kaurvaki the better(Not that I liked the movie Kaurvaki either). The worst thing I dreaded for this show is about to come true.

It is such a shame that every promising show just degrades into such mindless nonsense. It's just a myriad of villains against a lone hero. The supporting characters are reduced to cheer leading props. Not to mention the overly cheesy and rushed romance that really adds nothing to the story. 

All we can do is hope for something better. Let's see what happens. 
Edited by babur1527 - 8 years ago