Fan Fictions

Arnav-Khushi: Ajeeb Dastaan Hai Yeh - Part 1 [pg 2]

..kiran.. thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Many thanks to Appy for this lovely banner! 

CONCEPT

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Arnav and Khushi have always been the best of friends. It is also, inevitably, a theory widely supported by clusters of gossiping aunties that a boy and a girl cannot be "just friends." Ah, the perks of living in a small town! 

Arnav and Khushi take the rumours in their stride and laugh them off, confident as they are, that they really are just friends and will always be. 

It turns out, however, that the aunties may have been onto something (for once). Somewhere, hidden away behind those simultaneous bursts of laughter that nobody can understand, the comfort of their shared silences, an understanding that defies the need for words... lies a kernel of deep, all-consuming love. 

This short story is about how they discover that love.     

Please indicate if you would be interested to read further so that I may decide if I should continue. Thanks! 
- Kiran
Edited by ..kiran.. - 8 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

..kiran.. thumbnail

Index

Part 1: Page 2
..kiran.. thumbnail
^ Thanks for the encouragement! :)
Willy_Wonka. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Interesting! Continue sooner dear :)
..kiran.. thumbnail
Originally posted by: Dark.Desires

Interesting! Continue sooner dear :)

Thank you! Just waiting for a few more to get on board 😳
..kiran.. thumbnail
Originally posted by: bubulswt

amazing concept 

Glad you found it to be so. I will be posting the first part soon 😃

..kiran.. thumbnail

Part 1

Jahaan tu muskuraaye

Khushi stared at her phone, annoyed, sorely tempted to throw the useless thing against the wall. It was not the fact that Arnav was with his girlfriend that sparked her annoyance so. Please, she was not the clingy, possessive kind! The mere thought made her gag. What annoyed her was the fact that a mere emoticon from him would have made the situation so much more bearable, and all of a sudden, she could not just randomly drop him a text message without feeling guilty.

A year ago, she could call Arnav at any time of the day or night, and he would be there for her, invariably, ever so dependable, the bestest of best friends. Yes, he might have berated her for waking him up at 3 in the morning. But he would be there. That much, she knew for sure. And now...

It was not Lavanya who had come between them, as one might think. What had come between them was Khushi's own tendency to overthink through everything and tiptoe around her own best friend. She was the one who had chosen to drift away, to take extra care of the way she behaved around Arnav, so that Lavanya would not feel insecure, so that he would not get confused again, so that people would not say that she had created problems in her best friend's relationship.

Since when did she start caring about what people thought anyway? It was ridiculous! When every inquisitive soul in the town suspected that Khushi and Arnav were in love with each other, they had both rolled their eyes and expertly brushed away the rumours. When their own parents had sat them down and tried to convince them that they were made for each other, it had taken several minutes for them to fight their laughter, and even days later, the memory of their parents' solemn faces could send them back into fits of uncontrollable giggles. They had never allowed anything to change their friendship or cause them to become self-conscious.

The sounds of her parents arguing were beginning to break through the bedroom door, infiltrating the sanctity of her temporary haven. Khushi could not, for the life of her, understand why two people chose to stay together, if only to continue to make each other, themselves and others unhappy. She knew they did it for her, for they loved her more than they disliked each other, but if anything, that made her feel more guilty than grateful. Then again, for all her pragmatism, she was not sure she would be able to handle a reality where her parents had split up. Either way, she would always just be the messed up child she had always been. There never would be an escape.

Her thoughts were beginning to darken and swirl down into the unfathomable depths of despair and depression. There was not a chance in hell that she would get married and allow another unhappy child to be born out of an unhappy marriage. Her parents would not allow her to become an actress, so she would continue to drudge away behind that office desk until one day she would have blended with the greying wallpaper.

Maybe she could travel. If only she had it in her to just run away from the small-minded town, the suffocating house, but she knew the guilt she would subsequently feel would always stand in the way of true happiness. Maybe, miraculously, her overprotective parents would themselves allow her, without her having to be the ungrateful rebel that would break their hearts.

Wishful thinking. Her thoughts held for a minute or so, but soon enough, even her overly optimistic side had to scoff at the impossibility of her dreams.

She diverted her mind back to Arnav. She had never told him this, but she thought of him as her patronus, the one powerful force that could dispel every cloud of depression, no matter how thick. She only had to think back to happy memories that she had shared with him, to be filled with a renewed sense of hope.

But all Khushi could think of now, was how things had changed between them, how distances had crept in between them. She wished they were still at school, without a care in the world. She wished she did not miss him so much that it physically hurt. She wished he had never met Lavanya.

The viciousness of her last wish surprised her. She reprimanded herself. How could she even think of such a thing! Granted, she did not believe in the so-called power of love to bring happiness to people. But Arnav did. He deserved to find that happiness, and he had found it, with Lavanya.

The least Khushi could do, was be happy for him, and make sure that she never, ever, not even inadvertantly, allowed herself to come in the way of his happiness.

She remembered the conversation they had had, a few months ago, when he had admitted that he did not think he loved Lavanya.

"I am always comparing her to you, Khush," Arnav had said, "Always trying to find you in her. But there's only one you."

He had looked up at her, his liquid brown eyes poring into hers, searchingly.

"Why?" Khushi had breathed, shocked.

"I think I love -"

"Shut up!" she had interjected, more aggressively than she had intended to, perhaps.

Arnav and Khushi's friendship had never been one characterised by politeness and words of tenderness. It had begun with stealing each other's tiffin boxes and pulling each other's hair. As they grew up, they may have stopped hitting each other, but the sarcastic barbs subsisted as the natural mode of communication. And yet, even though they said "shut up" to each other at least twelve times a day, strangely, at that moment, Khushi could see a sense of hurt cloud Arnav's face. She had softened her tone, before explaining to him that he was merely getting confused because of the changes in his life.

"It does not mean that you... that you love me, like, in that way" she had continued, "See, the thing is that the line between friendship and romantic love is very thin. Friends love each other, and every romantic relationship is based on friendship anyway. So it's easy to confuse one for the other. And since you are spending your time with Lavanya, when previously you and I used to hang out all the tine, it's normal that you should think of me at times. It will pass with time."

"You really think so?"

"I really think so. You're a nice guy, Arnie. Don't be unfair to Lavanya."

"I don't want to be unfair," he had muttered, before dropping the subject.

They had never brought it up again. But Khushi had resolved, since then, not to make things difficult for Arnav. And so it was, that she had gradually drifted away from him. It was the right thing to do, she reminded herself, before placing her phone firmly back on the bedside table. She sought solace in the fact that at least one of them would be happy. It was enough.

jyothirockz thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Looks like Khushi is equally confused if not more than Arnav
..kiran.. thumbnail
Originally posted by: jyothirockz

Looks like Khushi is equally confused if not more than Arnav

Well spotted! Thanks for the comment!
bubulswt thumbnail