Solhah Singaarr Articles (No Comments)

Kiran. thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Finally Sahara One has come up with the name and cast of its new daily soap to replace the 8.30pm slot of HKKC. It is called Solhah Singaarr and will be
telecast from Monday to Friday October 30th onwards.

The rulers of Solhah Singaarr!

Adding one more woman-oriented serial to its already crowded kitty of Rani, Kittu, Ambika and Sati is Solhah Singaarr that showcases the story of a young, vivacious, delightful, carefree girl -Meerra, and her family based in Benares. Mapping out Meerra's life that's set in the holy city of Benaras, which is imbued in an era of age-bound traditions, awareness and practices far beyond imagination, the serial promises to get TRPs soaring with the freshness of its concept.

Shantonu Aditya, CEO, SaharaOne Television says, "As part of our constant
efforts in presenting our viewers with newer shades of entertainment and fulfilling our promise of Television Ka Naya Rang, Solhah Singaarr will make for wholesome family entertainment. It is the story of the revered, fairly modern Bhardwaj family based in Benaras and tells the story of today's changing times… where women while respecting their Indian values are still progressive and speak up not only for themselves but for others as well.

Solhah Singaarr also showcases the story of the protagonist Meerra's interpersonal relationships with each member of her family and how she strives to keep her family bonded through all the ups and downs in their lives."

Produced by Jai Mehta Productions Solhah Singaarr is directed by Pawan Kumar who has previously directed shows like Sindoor…Tere Naam Ka, Ek Laadki Anjaani Si, Piya Ka Ghar. Akangsha Rawat a fresh face in the industry will
essay the role of the lead protagonist – Meerra, while other important characters will be played by well-known actors - Sudha Chandran, the attractive Ramola Sikand of Kahin Kissi Roz gets transformed into a deglamorised grandmother (Ammaji), where she dons the white paint.
Son Pari Mrinal Kulkarni (Alaknanda) who was a great hit with kids now becomes mother to the protagonist and if you thought Anuj Saxena was too busy with his own production house and ad agency to take up new serials, you will soon see him in a couple of episodes of Solhah Singaarr as Alaknanda's late husband, Kumar Vardhan. Vakquar Sheikh plays the lead opposite Mrinal.

Throwing more light on the serial, Producer Kinnari Mehta says, "the story revolves around Hindutva and the first few episodes have been shot on the various ghats in Benares to lend it authenticity. It is all about doing away with regressive traditions and Meerra's struggle to reinstate the love and happiness in her widowed mother's life for which she herself is prepared to sacrifice a lot. It's a mother-daughter story and no saas-bahu drama."

Edited by Kimi_dost - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Kiran. thumbnail

Sudha Chandran all set for gray matter!

Piyush Roy (HT Style)

Mumbai, October 26, 2006

Sudha Chandran is set to become Indian television's latest lady in white and she seems quite gung-ho about her makeover. Chandran goes from black to white in Sahara One's forthcoming serial Solhah Singaarr.

Dressed in a white sari with light embroidery on the border, a white blouse with arm length sleeves, a rudraksh mala in hand, a necklace of white beads and a long yellow tika dividing her forehead, she could easily pass off for one of the sadhvis on Aastha.

Albeit that touch of glamour sets Chandran apart. So what's the mother of all TV vamps doing in a dadi maa avatar? "I wanted to break away from the monotony of negative characters that I had got into in the last five years. Even my fans were telling me that I was looking repetitive," she begins.          ;           ;

Does it mean that the fiery Ramola Sikand has finally mellowed? "Not exactly My character of Ammaji in Solhah Singaarr is that of strict matriarch who adheres to her values," she says, adding, "But she is not regressive like the of recently launched ammas and dadis on telly pining for a son or grandson. She believes in what she says and has seen a lot of ups and downs in her life. That's what attracted me to Ammaji's character."

Incidentally, Chandran wasn't the first choice for Ammaji's role. "Though Ammaji's role intrigued me a lot, it was initially supposed to be done by Arunaji (Aruna Irani). But once I came to know that she wasn't doing it, I was all game for the role and promptly lapped it up," says Chandran.

It was also courtesy her good equation with Jay Mehta, producer of Solhah Singaarr, who's previous offer to her for a role in Sindoor Tere Naam Ka she turned down due to her then busy schedule.

"I shoot five days a month in Chennai and 20 days in Mumbai. But they are much more professional out there. We canned 20 episodes in just five days of my last shoot in Chennai," she says.

Chandran, who's quite popular in the southern telly circuit, plays another author backed role in Jayyam, a serial currently being shown on Jaya TV "It's . a very stylised role and this time around I am making a conscious effort of setting a trend through my style," she adds.

Chandran's Ramola not only counts amongst one of the most stylised characters on TV ever; her famous signature bindis had also led to the launch of a Ramola line of bindis.

"Earlier I was decked up to kill. This is the only role where I gray my hair," she shares. But isn't she worried about getting typecast in the role of a dadi?

"Was Shah Rukh Khan typecast in the role of an old man after doing Veer-Zaara?" asks Chandran, adding, "Even Ramola was a dadi, but not many remember that perhaps because of my glamorous bearing. As Ammaji, I sport a nice chandan tika and drape a golden shawl. Perhaps now I will give a few fashion tips on making the old look good."

Black, gray and white, so what is going to be the flavour of her next character? "I am keen on doing a comedy in a full-fledged positive role," she signs off.

My favourite 5 TV roles

Ramola Sikand (Kahin Kissi Roz) She was a negative character who always played her cards right.

Zahira (Kaise Kahun): She was a down-market Muslim lady, who could laugh and cry at the same time. She was a rooted to the soil character.

Guruma (Tum Bin Jaun Kahan): A very classy woman in black, I loved the way she was decked up.

Ammaji (Solhah Singaarr): Her convictions in her beliefs and her upholding of and standing up to her traditional values is what appealed to me. The fifth one's yet to come.

Edited by Kimi_dost - 17 years ago
Kiran. thumbnail
Anuj readies Kulvaddhu for Sony!

Anuj Saxena's first production venture, a daily soap for Sony TV, initially titled

Anuj Saxena with Kitu Gidwani

Akhand Sau Bhagyawati, is now re-christened Kulvaddhu. Also the final cast is out and includes reknowned names like Milind Gunaji, Kitu Gidwani, Sushmita Mukherjee, Suhasini Mulay, Seema Bhargav and fresh face Daljit Kaur.

The story of Kulvaddhu is that of a modern day, happy-go-lucky girl (played by Daljit Kaur) whose life is transformed by a man who is caught on the wrong side of fate. She has to endure many trials and tribulations and has to find her place in the conservative ethos of Indian culture and traditions. She also has to deal with her father-in-law (Milind Gunaji) who is always at loggerheads with her due to clash of attitudes.

Anuj Saxena with Milind Gunaji

"I am very excited and am looking forward to my show Kulvaddhu, which my production house Maverick is making for Sony. For me the most important thing is the quality, content and the look of the show. I hope I will be able to make my viewers proud and hope it will be better than the best", says Anuj Saxena, the producer-cum-actor-cum-restaurateur whose production house has by far made commercials and films down south.

Milind Gunaji essays a rich Rajput in the show and adds, " I play a business man who is into polo matches and the works. But deep inside he's an orthodox person and has constant clashes with his daughter-in-law." Kitu Gidwani plays his wife while Suhasini Mulay plays the grandmother of the house.

The actors will commence shooting on 6 November and this primetime show is expected to go on air in December.

Kiran. thumbnail
Ganga flows into the small screen
   By: Tushar Joshi
   October 26, 2006

Mrinal Kulkarni in Solhah Singaarr
In a first time of its sorts a television show will be based in the city of Benaras with Ganges as the backdrop. Produced by Kinnari and Jay Mehta (Sindoor Tere Naam Ka), Solhah Singaarr is shot  in the holy city.

Star-struck

Talking about the show, Kinnari says, "It was a major challenge shooting in Benaras because they worship television stars. Every one wanted to meet these guys, take pictures and watch the shoot. Also, we were shooting right in the middle of Dussera so it was totally chaotic.

There were some five lakh people in the city at that moment. Apart from humans we were also given the responsibility of taking care of the cows and buffalos that would keep raiding our sets."

Revolving around a mother daughter relationship the show stars Anuj Saxena, Mrinal Kulkarni, Rajeshwari Sachdev, Apara Mehta, Sudha Chandran and Akangsha Rawat.

After the success of Sinndoor, have the producers tried to recreate the magic by using the letters 'S' and 'R' as the beginning and ending of the title? "Yes, the writer of my show suggested that, so I stuck to it. I don't know how much it will help me, but it's a belief that I want to follow."

Har har Gange!

Was it difficult getting such a big cast together? "Not really, when I narrated the subject to the artists they were quite excited and thrilled to be a part of it. Also working in Benaras gave a new high to them."

Mehta recalls shooting a scene in the middle of the Ganges, which she calls one of the highlights. "It was amazing. The camera was on a boat, while the artistes were on another. We were right in the middle of the river. I had goosebumps during that scene."

On the Sinndoor front, there is buzz that Gurdip Kohli is going to be replaced as the lead. Reacting to this she says, "It's not true.

We have another positive character on the show and Aashka Goradia has been cast in that role. But she isn't going to replace Gurdip. In fact, Gurdip's role will come to an end some time in November." Will we see her coming back on the show? "That I cannot comment at the moment," signs off the producer.

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Offers galore for Anuj!

In spite of Rishton Ki Dor not doing too well, Anuj Saxena seems to be flooded with offers.

We all know that he's doing a cameo in Sahara One's Solaah Shringaar. And now news has filtered in that Anuj is being considered to play the lead opposite two lovely ladies for two new shows on Sony TV - one opposite Renuka Shahane in Jeetiye and the second opposite Aamna Shariff in an untitled venture. But a source reveals that the actor is probably declining both the shows.

And the offers don't end there! It seems even Aruna Irani has offered him a role for her new serial on Sahara One, to be directed by Ashok Gaikwad (of Prratima fame).

Meanwhile, Anuj's Maverick Productions is currently busy with finalizing the star cast for his first telly show Akhand Sau Bhagyawati. Sources reveal that with a new lead protagonist, the show promises many established names. And Anuj has himself gone on record to claim that he will soon be seen as a lead in his in-house production.

If rumours are to be believed it is also speculated that Anuj is aiming at Bollywood, not as a producer but as an actor to star in a film!

Seems the actor's career is going great guns as his kitty looks quite colourful!

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k6/oct/30oct/grapevine.php

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Of Respecting Values

Posted online: Friday, October 27, 2006 at 0000 hours IST

Young, bubbly and charming Meera is a carefree girl coming from a family based in Benaras when suddenly her life turns topsy-turvy. Jay Mehta's Solhah Singaarr sets to unravel the story of the girl who transforms into a mature woman redefining regressive norms. The serial is being aired on SaharaOne Television since October 30. Screen visits the sets and talks to two of the principal artistes

What is your role like?
I play Meera, a carefree teenager who thinks the world to be picture perfect and rosy. The apple of everyone's eye in the Bharadwaj family of Benaras, Meera whiles away her time by playing with children in and around the bylanes of the Holy City and tasting the pickles made by elders of the house. Lost in her own world she is unaware of the underlying friction in her parent's marriage. In short she lives a 'carefree life'.

How is Meera's attachment to her family?
Meera loves her family a lot. But more special to her are her mother Alaknanda, grandmother Ammaji and her best friend Shlok.

Does she change and how?
Yes she does. An unfortunate event in the family brings out Meera from her dream world to face the harsh realities of life. It makes her realise the importance of Solhah Singaarr in a woman's life..the significance of what it means to be loved by ones husband..the meaning of why women apply sindoor, wear bangles and apply mehendi.

What is this unfortunate event you are talking about?
(smiles) Well! Well! I will not disclose this. You may ask the same to Ammaji (Sudha Chandran)- my grandmother.

How does the transformation take place?
From being a carefree girl Meera transforms into a sensible woman. Now being today's woman, Meera fights for what is right for herself and near and dear ones, more so for her mother who has suffered an ordeal.

Does she win?
If I come out with the facts why will you see the serial?

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Pests, control!

Anuj Saxena's body double, who was playing his corpse, couldn't lie still as he was tickled by the insects in the flowers on him

Ranjib Mazumder

The cast and crew of Solhah Singaarr had a good laugh a few days back when they were supposed to be shooting a serious scene. As Anuj Saxena who plays Kumar Vardhan Bharadwaj in the show dies, a body double was hired to enact the death scene.

Recalling the incident, Akangsha Rawat aka Meerra said, "It was a death scene and a body double was hired and his body was kept in the centre of the hall. There were sweet smelling flowers all over in the hall and there were many bees and house flies hovering around the flowers. As there were many flowers on the 'dead body' too, those insects were all over the body doubles' body and he was getting really irritated."

Akangsha added, "I am playing Kumar Vardhan Bharadwaj's daughter and I was supposed to be close to him and cry loudly while looking at his face. As I went closer to him, I noticed that he was being tickled by the insects. While we all started crying along with the rudaali present in the hall, the 'dead body' started moving as the body double could not lie still. All the actors present over there started laughing. Next time, he was told not to move but he was trying to shoo away the insects away by twisting his face or eyebrows. We all were supposed to cry but we again burst out laughing. The body double was embarrassed and we had to take several shots to get the scene right."

Mrinal Kulkarni who plays Alaknanda in the show said, "As I play Kumar Vardhan Bharadwaj's wife, I was supposed to break my bangles. But, looking at his face twitching every now and then, we could not stop laughing. The room was full of bees and house flies and we were quite annoyed. The poor body double had a difficult time as he could not even move!"

The cast and crew were very sympathetic towards the man who was playing Anuj's dead body. "He was lying on that bamboo bed for three to four hours at a stretch. As shooting that scene took several hours, we actors were taking breaks but he was not allowed to move because would spoil the continuity of the scene. We all felt sorry for him," Akangsha added.

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Two timing...

Shlok of Solhah Singaar is also a music composer and professional guitarist

Sapana Patil Poojary

A man of many parts, Pankaj Badra aka Shlok of Solhah Singaar likes to play guitar when he is not acting. He also writes lyrics, composes songs, and plays many musical instruments on a professional level. Interestingly, Pankaj has strummed the guitar for music director Pritam in Gangster. Says Pankaj, "Music is a passion for me. So, when I'm not acting, I either listen to music or play guitar. I shoot during the day and record my music in the night." 

A trained musician, Pankaj was initiated to music when he was just a kid. Pankaj adds, "I am trained in Indian and Western classical music. I can play harmonium, drums and even the guitar. When I lived in Shimla, I used to compose and arrange and also act in musicals and folk theatres. Pankaj now aims to learn the flute, violin and painting."

It was a certain music channel's call for budding singers and composers that brought Pankaj to Mumbai.  Pankaj has worked with music directors like Pritam, Anand Raj Anand and so on. Says Pankaj, "I have made so many friends on the sets, who appreciate  my music. So much so, that Alok Tripathi, the executive producer of the serial has started learning the guitar from me on the sets."

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9

Strangers in their own home

(Posted on 3 November 2006)

Lavish sets. Garish costumes. Stilted, formal dialogues. Little wonder that none of the characters ever seem to belong to any of the palatial bungalows they occupy in our soaps, nor to the implausible plots they tread.

While Indian television would love to brag that it's come a long way since Hum Log in the 1980s, its soaps, even the latest entrants, adopt a pace, style and setting more appropriate to Hindi films of the 1950s. Women and men wear incongruously ridiculous clothes even when lounging at home, the women sport jewelry like there's no tomorrow, and hardly a dialogue seems spontaneous. Take Sahara One's newest baby, Solhah Singaar, for instance. In its entirety, it's as impeccable and as boring as any of its predecessors. Pretty, mournful mothers laden with baubles, a stern white silk clad granny, an adulterous father with a seductive vamp in his closet, it has all the ingredients that would hook any housewife.

All it lacks is spontaneity. Loud sound effects help where subtle dramatics could have shown grief, and the father, played by Anuj Saxena, died a noisome death in a hospital, complete with garish music to denote grief, surrounded by mother, wife, mistress et al.

Constrast this with even a mediocre show like Sons and Daughters that runs on Star World. It's a regular family drama, but its camera angles, the apparent spontaneity of actors' movements and subtle expression of emotions makes it an easy view.

Just like in Friends, where the characters indulge in routine activities like slamming a fridge door, or pouring coffee or just sniffling into a tissue - all while the story continues uninterrupted. Or a Desperate Housewives, where the leads routinely come out of their houses to empty garbage cans or trip over misplaced baggage in the corridors. These may not be key to the success of a soap, but they lend a distinct air of naturalness that's so absent in our soaps, forever grappling with the bigger business of adultery and domestic hostility.

When was the last time you saw Parvati pouring herself a glass of water in the kitchen or Prerna doing, or even supervising, her laundry?

One show that comes close to being spontaneous is Zee's Jab Love Hua. The screenplay flows naturally, the leads have gotten into the skin of playing villagers, and you can actually spot them feeding cattle and washing their hands with copper tumblers after meals, even when the conversations are on.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/special/boxpopuli/y2k6/nov/b oxpopuli26.htm

Kiran. thumbnail
Aroona readies the Doli
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   November 10, 2006

Chalna hi zindagi hai: Aroona Irani
Though Aroona Irani's Vaidehi on Sony has had a lukewarm response, the actress-producer has begun work on her next show, Doli Saja Ke, for SaharaOne. The shoot for the soap is on at Jaipan Studios, Goregaon. 

Ensemble cast
The star-studded cast includes Anuj Saxena, Surbhi Tiwari, Barkha Bisht, Amit Sareen, Manoj Bidvvai, Arzoo Govitrikar, Jaya Mathur, Karishma Randheva, Manisha Kanojia and Manish Khanna.

Doli Saja Ke is described as a family saga about the trials and tribulations of a father and daughter. Saxena plays the role of a husband who loses his wife (Surbhi Tiwari) during childbirth. The daughter (Barkha Bisht), is considered unlucky and has to live with the curse of being responsible for her mother's death. Jaya Mathur essays the role of the second wife.

Pal do pal ka saath: Anuj Saxena and Surbhi Tiwari feature in Doli Saja Ke
Says Saxena, who began shooting yesterday, "I am doing Aroona Irani's show as it is a good production house and also because I wanted to work with Aroonaji, whom I admire and respect a lot. Surbhi is playing my wife in the show and coincidentally, is also doing a role in my production house Maverick's new show, Kulvaddhu, for Sony."

Adds Tiwari, "Aroonaji had given me a choice of roles to select from. But as I am already committed to two dailies, Kulvaddhu for Sony and Hari Mirchi Lal Mirchi for DD, it would be difficult to manage three dailies. So I opted to play the role of the girl's mother who dies."

Not her dad's fav
Saxena, who did a cameo in the SaharaOne soap Solhah Singarr, was earlier seen on the channel in Asha Parekh's show Kuuch Pal Saath Tumhara and Raja Mukerji's Prratima.

It is learnt that Tiwari will die in the show after the initial episodes during childbirth. The father detests the daughter because of this. Doli Saja Ke is slated to air in the 9.30 pm slot by next month.

Incidentally, Irani was also slated to produce Dor starring Muskan Mihani for SAB, which never took off despite an elaborate shoot schedule.