FTII Protest: Dibakar Banerjee & nine others return National Award

Posted: 8 years ago

FTII Protest: Dibakar Banerjee and nine others return their National Award

Shivani Mankermi,TNN | Oct 28, 2015, 07.45 PM IST
FTII Protest: Dibakar Banerjee and nine others return their National Award
An urgent press conference was called by members of the film fraternity to make an important announcement in response to the crisis at FTII.

In support of FTII students, filmmakers like Dibakar Banerjee and Anant Patwardhan have returned the country's highest literary award bestowed upon them. The filmmakers have asserted that they will side with the students in this protest.

Talking about his stand, filmmaker Paresh Kamdar said, "This government doesn't care for arts and freedom of speech. So, in solidarity and as a response to their call for the film fraternity to respond, with heavy heart and strong resolve I am returning my National Award."

A disappointed Anant Pathwardhan said, "For Bombay our city, with a heavy heart I return my first National Award. We don't want much from this government, it's just a resignation."

Dibakar Bannerjee expressed his anger too. He said, "Through the return of my award I want to appeal to pay attention to what the FTII students are saying. I know we will be ridiculed for this action, but I aim to speak for all Indians who want our classrooms to become institutes of learning and not mediocrity."

However, this was not all. The filmmakers have also written an open letter to the President and Prime Minister of India, addressing the issue, the ongoing protests and the reason why they are returning their National Awards.

Filmmakers who returned their award include the likes of Dibakar Bannerjee, Anand Patwardhan, Paresh Kamdar, Nishtha Jain, Kirti Nakhwe and Harshavardhan Kulkarni.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/FTII-Protest-Dibakar-Banerjee-and-nine-others-return-their-National-Award/articleshow/49570130.cms
I hope SAK also returns the National Award
So the people that actually deserve them are returning it and the ones that don't will still get to keep them. ðŸ˜†
On a side note, damn! that takes from balls to do. National Award is a huge deal and kudos to this people for taking such a bold stand.
Originally posted by ibelieveinpink

So the people that actually deserve them are returning it and the ones that don't will still get to keep them.😆
On a side note, damn! that takes from balls to do. National Award is a huge deal and kudos to this people for taking such a bold stand.

Stand for what ?
^^stand against the appointment of Gajendra Chauhan as the chairman of FTIIEdited by LOLitaPawar - 8 years ago
Phir shuru ho gaya drama. FTII uncles can't finish their diploma in 15 years and now they want to decide who's going to be the administrator. 
Aise unlce lok ko FTII se bahar nikalo. Why we need FTII anyway? WHat is the use of subsidising education for uncles who are just there for free bed and breakfast? 

Concentrate on DRDO, ISRO... Films are not that important for the nation. Just scrap this FTII. How many true blue filmmakers have emerged out of FTII in the last decade? A handful at best...

How many film makers learnt on their own without FTII to hold their hand?
Originally posted by LOLitaPawar

^^stand against the appointment of Gajendra Chauhan as the chairman of FTII

Now students will decide who will be the chairman?

And these are not students who are there from last 8-10 years wasting tax payers money .

All politically motivated shit , thankfully Govt didn't bow down and shown their place.
Oh, let me quickly checkout TimesNow to see if Arnab and Anupam Kher are breathing down the throats of those who returned these awards ðŸ˜†
Dibakar Banerjee's movie has released today right ?
Nice timing.
Originally posted by ibnbatuta

Phir shuru ho gaya drama. FTII uncles can't finish their diploma in 15 years and now they want to decide who's going to be the administrator.
Aise unlce lok ko FTII se bahar nikalo. Why we need FTII anyway? WHat is the use of subsidising education for uncles who are just there for free bed and breakfast?

Concentrate on DRDO, ISRO... Films are not that important for the nation. Just scrap this FTII. How many true blue filmmakers have emerged out of FTII in the last decade? A handful at best...

How many film makers learnt on their own without FTII to hold their hand?

Exactly just close this FTII.
Look at them they don't even look like students