Putti,you rock 😳
Thanks Kalpana 😊
Friday morninings Nisha is busy..
Posted: 8 years ago
Wheels of Fortune

Bala sighed audibly

"Its never a good time Mama"
Appa nodded and smiled as an after thought

"tannayum ariyama nee ennai Appa sollitte teriyumo?" (u addressed me as Appa) Appa cleared his throat

"U are one" Bala said quietly

"How are Amma Appa? Did u tell them?" Mr Iyer asked

"Hmmm... varutha padraa.. hmmm" (they are sad too) Bala sighed

"I remember when you came to see our Vandita, ur father asked u to seek the blessings of Anna" Appa smiled

Bala nodded

"Subbu did not like Anna... or rather, Subbu's parents" Appa was still stuck on an unpleasant time

"That chapter is closed Mama" Bala reminded him sharply

Appa grunted... a part of him... oh! almost the whole of him still unwilling to accept a Punjabi boy for Ishita

"Ishita seems very happy" Bala reminded nobly

"In the first year what is there to be unhappy say I say? Every body is happy. roaming around, going to hotel... adukulla oru kozhandaya kuduthuttan (he made her pregnant)" Appa squirmed uncomfortably

"He is very good with kids Mama" Bala defended R&B

"We all love kids, who will do all the work? Only her only no?" Appa ranted in broken English

"She will be fine" Bala said somberly

"Hmmm... he is not even here... ur MIL claims the car was sent by him" Appa blurted

"Which car?" Bala asked

"Last night when Janaki dropped her from the hospital, Vandu kept my old car, so Janaki and her returned by auto, their driver was there, with a Mercedes" Appa charged

Bala's expression changed a bit... "Oh! thats very nice" he said, staring at the presswala boy ringing his cycle bell as he weaved through pedestrian traffic down below

"People are important Bala, not things" Appa said firmly

"He lives in Paris" Bala felt the, now familiar, sharp poke of envy.

"yes yes... the world knows that" Appa agreed

"Avalukkellam Mercedes ellam tanni patta paadu Mama" (For them a Merc is like a cycle rickshaw) he said suppressing his sigh

He could empty out all the college savings they had for Shravu, and yet he would be able barely to afford a used Merc...
 a used Merc in India was around Rs. 15 lakhs- 2 crores
Shravu's college would have to be put on hold until he saved up all over again for 15 years...

Last time he checked the  Aviva Young Scholar balance, it was not even 15 lakhs, he was investing 1 lakh a year in it...
so at 18 Shravu can get atleast Rs.20 lakhs for his education. Vacations, expensive gadgets and fancy furniture was all out of question

Oh heck, he couldnt buy himself a new car or a Toyota Fortuner van for the baby... many at work had suggested, he go for that, it was 6 seater, perfect for going to Ambala Anna's house

He had imagined himself driving that when he saw commercials on Sun TV at night, while having dinner

Many times when he would look at Vandu and say "Nanna irukku di, stylish a... we shud get this di" (I like the van)

Vandu's eyes would glisten with hope

Shravu would literally stop eating... "appa are we getting it.. please pa... we should get a new car... we can go to
Manali in summer" his eyes would shine like a sparkling 5 rupee coin

"Ethana velai?" Amma would ask long after the commercial would be over

"24-27 lakhs ma" Bala would say

"Appa YOu work in a BANK" shravu would shriek naively

Vandu would scold him and ask him to shut up

"Appa oda FD irukku" Amma would say... since Appa was losing hearing like Kamakshi Athai he wouldnt notice

(U can have appa's CD)

"NO NO..." Vandu would be outraged

"Kozhandai kekarane... 2017 la maturity.. sonna Appa... its only Rs 7 lakhs" (the child is so eager)

"He has bus Amma... and we have a car" Vandu would squash her desire, appearing mature

"U are here early... do u have time off?" Appa rudely interrupted his thoughts

"No... no Mama I just took a couple hours off" "I am going back to work" Bala nodded somberly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Much to Bally's surprise II arrived at work on Tuesday at Noonish ish after Bala left

She decided she would not apply for the job in her own team
She was too upset to sit home and wait for news about Periappa
She decided to show up for work albeit late

Ritu was happy to see her, why not, a vacation cut short by 4 days would make any manager happy

She noticed II's expensive clothes though, from her last trip to Paris

"New?" she asked

"No... it was in the apartment" Ii mumbled

"U must not know how many clothes u have" Ritu chuckled

"I DO actually... every dupatta, every blouse" II smiled calmly

"Thats great... ofcourse u do, u are an Accountant" Ritu said startled

Ii didnt like the sound of that... she smiled hitting the elevator button to go get coffee from the Perk

What Ritu thought of her didnt matter... in the bigger picture of her life today

Her most favorite person was laying unconscious in a hospital

Petty bickering could wait
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Nisha0604 - 8 years ago
The best thing about festivals is that you have house full of people, doing the same thing all over year after year yet it feels new, filled with all bua's, mausi's, cousins and everyone..10 days of superfun and then suddenly an empty house as usual, but with a hope that the same shall repeat agle saal... Love our customs and traditions.

I would miss all these had I have to live out of home or country... Kudos to all you ladies who live away from family and yet be so productive and do such wonders with your talent.

II on a fortune cookie (wheel of fortune) and Periappa holding a wheel of life? Edited by EnVee - 8 years ago
II doesn't want to apply for new role in the team. Good decision😊
Appa n Bala's talk on Dude...
Bala's helplessness to give luxury life to his family n bigger dreams for Shravu... 😕
Ritu envees II 😉
Periyappa's health 😔

Wheels of fortune... 🥱
Sigh...Edited by putti77 - 8 years ago
The glimpse into bala's mind...and his thoughts and life 
That makes the whole story close to my heart and relatable
The little things we dream of getting and the little thinhs we achive and the little things that define happiness to us...and the struggle to get them...its an absolutely amazing journey to go through... but the pain and disappointment associated with it isn't any small either

Well...middle class woes are something when somebody learns to deals with...masters life

The laat sentence had in tears...wanting to hug II

Nothing else matters when your loved one is threatening to let ho off you.
What i feel today for II...and her pain for Periappa... i have felt for somebody else too
How do you tell a person...loosing their loved one...its going to be okay?
Originally posted by EnVee

II on a fortune cookie (wheel of fortune) and Periappa holding a wheel of life?

Yes, nice

So many interpretations. Toyota Fortuna is where I extrapolated it from, and then the role LUCK plays in our lives, we cannot control everything, much of what we get in life is luck. I cannot underscore its importance enough, u know...
R&B was born into wealth, and grew it exponentially by his hard work and brilliance

Bala was NOT, he could be just as smart and work doubly as hard, but things dont seem to be working out

My Amma will say "Panakara kozhandaigal IIT pohum MIT pohum, nambathu kozhandaigal wont even get a good % to get B Com at a regular college"

(the wealthy kids will get IIT on merit and go to MIT later, but middle class lower middle class kids wont even get a good % to be able to get admission in Biz or Economics)
Such is life

U cannot escape the wheel of fortune Envee

Very nice

Putti

No she does not

It must be a typo
Let me go correct that
( attempting one in Envee's style 😛 )
Wheels of Fortune ( life ) and so many ways to play...