Posted: 8 years ago
Hello friends! My name is Vrishti n I'm new to this forum...Came across it just recently. I must say, there r some wonderful n interesting topics being discussed here. 😛
Coming to d point, I wanted to discuss something about d legend of Radha n Krishna. Although I practice Hinduism...I don't know much about Radha n Krishna's love story, although it has always fascinated me.
I came to know that according to myths...Radha was probably elder than Kanha, by somewhat 8 years n they were never married to each other...Still they r worshipped together...as Krishna n Radha r considered as one.
Can any of u give me a deeper insight into their story n Radha's early n later life...as that is something which is very less known about.
Thanks!
Heyy Vrishti.. first of all, you have a very pretty name.. and secondly, a warm welcome to the forum.. i hope you will enjoy here..
and regarding your radha krishna post.. we are in same boat..
i know basic story of Radha Krishna.. but not about their early or later life...
may be some other scholars can help you out.. (=
Originally posted by itsokaysammy

Heyy Vrishti.. first of all, you have a very pretty name.. and secondly, a warm welcome to the forum.. i hope you will enjoy here..
and regarding your radha krishna post.. we are in same boat..
i know basic story of Radha Krishna.. but not about their early or later life...
may be some other scholars can help you out.. (=
Oh thank u so much. 😳
Never mind...let's see if somebody else can help out... 😊
Originally posted by rishbala4eva

Oh thank u so much. 😳
Never mind...let's see if somebody else can help out... 😊
you're welcome.. there are many mytho scholars on this forum.. i hope they will notice the thread soonish..😳
RES
I'll try to edit this tomorrow.

-edit-

See, the name Radha appears only in the medieval ages, the earliest major reference being Gita Govinda, but wherever Krishna is mentioned (provided he's in Vrindavan) there's always this one special Gopi who is the greatest devotee of Krishna.
The name Radha has its roots in the word Aradhika, which means devotee. So, even if the name 'Radha' is incorrect, we can take it as a title given to that special Gopi.

Radha, from the scriptures where she's mentioned, is the daughter of Brishbhaanu, the head of the village called Barsana. It is said that once when Brishbhaanu went to worship Lord Surya in his personal lake, he saw a girl, as bright as the sun inside a lotus. He was childless then, and thus, took the girl back home. Narad muni came to him and told him, that wherever this girl will go, Lord Vishnu will follow (probably this is the origin of the myth which says Radha was older to krishna) and gave her the name Aradhika, which was shortened to Radhika nd then Raadha.

Now, Brishbhaanu nd Keertida (his wife) were very happy with the girl when they were shocked to discover that the girl was blind. In those days girls with any defect were considered unlucky. However Brishbhaanu decided that since Narad muni had himself come down to praise the girl, she was special.

He arranged a grand party in her honour, where one of the guests was Nand, the chief of Gokul, the adjacent village. He had brought his wife Yashoda and one year old son Krishna.

No one had noticed when the little Krishna had crawled up to Radha's cradle and started playing with her. Just then Krishna, accidentally touched her eyes and she opened then to her Lord's lotus face. Since then, they'd been best friends who grew up to passionate lovers, the talk of the town.

Till Krishna was there, no one dared to tell her anything, but after Krishna went away to Mathura, her parents quietly married her off to a man called Ayaan Ghosh, who apparantly was a former soldier of Kans and a staunch hater off Krishna.

Now don't ask me why Brishbhaanu, the doting father, suddenly turned so rash. I really don't know.

BTW, this is what I gathered from all the tales and serials and translations I've followed. Bhaiyas and Didis are more than welcome to correct me.
Edited by Radhikerani - 8 years ago
Nobody worships Radha in Kerala as they know she's a fake and backdated creation of the white invader. 
South Indian temples have black idols which are perfect absorbers and radiators of energy. 

North Indian temples have white statues. Sanatana Dharma was split into a million pieces by the white invader. 

Then there's the story about Shri Krishna and 16000 gopikas. Sorry, it's an allegory. 16,000 refers to the 1000 petalled lotus of the Sahasrara Chakra each with 16 kalas.
Originally posted by Radhikerani

<font color="#0000FF">RES
I'll try to edit this tomorrow.

</font>
Yes please...I'll be waiting... 😛
Originally posted by Druids

Nobody worships Radha in Kerala as they know she's a fake and backdated creation of the white invader.
South Indian temples have black idols which are perfect absorbers and radiators of energy.

North Indian temples have white statues. Sanatana Dharma was split into a million pieces by the white invader.

Then there's the story about Shri Krishna and 16000 gopikas. Sorry, it's an allegory. 16,000 refers to the 1000 petalled lotus of the Sahasrara Chakra each with 16 kalas.
Okay...but I guess, not all temples down south r devoid of Radha...N most temples in d north, also from Mathura-Vrindavan region(Krishna's native place), do worship Radha along wid Krishna...
Different regions have different beliefs...I totally respect that. But I'm asking people who do believe in Radha-Krishna's legend, if they could share some knowledge about their story...
Thanks for sharing ur POV... 😊
Edited above.

So, you see they've been so close that they're almost like one soul contained in two bodies.
They say that Radha is the body whose soul is nothing but Krishna's energy, and Krishna is non-existent power without Radha's love.

For more info., insights and POVs, you can watch Dr. Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna. He had perfectly blended all the myths into one sublime and ethereal tale.
It is a common belief that Radha is an invented character.. that she is ONLY a symbolism of Bhakti, and that no one knew her until Jayadeva composed his beautiful Gita Govinda.
But the truth is, Radha has been worshipped alongside Krsna for a LONG time. Well, at least according to the Puranas. (If you want to say that the Puranic stories were created by Western people, then I have nothing else to comment on...😆)
So for example, the Devi Bhagavata gives an elaborate description of Srimati Radharani, the highest among the Five Prakritis or Five Energies of Lord Krsna.
The Padma Purana and Skanda Purana talk about the glories of her worship alongside Krsna, and the Narada Purana and Brahmanda Purana give methods of her worship. The Matsya Purana contains only references to her though.

The Harivamsa, Southern Version, contains a Chapter called, 'Krsna's Marriage to Neela'.
Since I have not read this chapter, I don't know exactly what it talks about, but I do know that it relates to Krsna's marriage with a gopika called 'Neela' (who COULD be Radharani, or could be another gopika called Nappinnai, who is revered in Tamilnadu.)

That's it about the details.
Her appearance has been beautifully illustrated by Radhikarani...

And, uh if you are interested, you could go through this: http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3718764
Which DOES sound like self promotion, but still...😛😃

EDIT: Oh, and Shiva Purana gives a vivid description of how Krsna and Radharani are immesed in bliss always in Goloka, and the subsequent chapter describes how both of them come to Shivaloka to discuss with Lord Shiva about their cursed devotee Shankhachuda...
Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 8 years ago