•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 8 years ago
Is it a term limited to be used for the wife?
Why is she called the better half?
Does any one know how or why that term came into use?

Please share if you know? All views are also welcome😊

Originally posted by zorrro

Is it a term limited to be used for the wife?
Why is she called the better half?
Does any one know how or why that term came into use?

Please share if you know? All views are also welcome😊

A quick internet search produced the following:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/my-better-half.html

My better half

My husband or my wife.Meaning

Origin

This term wasn't originally restricted to referring to one's spouse as we use it now, but to a dear friend. It was used that way by the Roman poet Horace and later by Statius. The allusion then was to a friend so dear that he/she was more than half of a person's being. That meaning persists, although these days, if the term is used seriously rather than sarcastically, it is generally considered to mean 'the superior half of a married couple'. That is, better in quality rather than in quantity.

Sir Philip Sidney was the first to put into print the use of this phrase to mean spouse, in The Countesse of Pembrokes Arcadia, 1580:

"My deare, my better halfe (sayd hee) I find I must now leaue thee."

Because she reminds her other half  of his every mistake simultaneously denying him the opportunity to talk about her mistakes. ðŸ˜†
came across this...
Because after marriage, you are no longer two different persons, but are supposed to become one. Then, you are each-others better half (incomplete without each other) 

Guess it also associated with chivalry, knighthood, code of conduct , heroism, sacrifice, romance  and showing respect for ladies.

better means bigger... generally women bloat after few years of marriage... better is just an euphemism for bigger... :)

Btw English phrases are confusing.. especially for everyone born or living in the USA
Edited by qwertyesque - 8 years ago