Debate Mansion

Why do People take to Roads? - Page 2

realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago
Why do people take to roads?

As Indians living here it's always been a repulsive sight to see the wet uwalls of university, college, hospitals, residential complex or offices. Even the trees/gardens are not spared. They are being wetted daily in various patterns depicting a sort of graffiti which is a bit amusing but still leaves behind it a stinking smell rendering it nauseating to even pass by it. Those visiting from abroad would have found the sight equally disgusting.

To be fair it's the pressing need to answer nature's call while on the move. But are there no options available? There are for the masculine gender. There are literally no options for the feminine gender. Its significant to share that so pathetic is the condition of the majority of the toilet complexes in the city that people prefer to relieve themselves behind a bush rather than to step inside these stinking enclosures. Many of the toilets constructed are non-functional or are in dilapidated condition. Besides with no supervision in place, a large number of the toilet blocks have become a den for the criminals.

Still it does not justify the act. We see only men doing that in public and not women who obviously control and use the appropriate facility. But isn't the act unhealthy and embarassing?

Views of two foreigners
I take great comfort in the fact that urinating in public is the only thing in India which is completely caste free. Rich and poor men, uneducated and the most intelligent, lower and upper caste men alike have the same lack of shame, the same amount of laziness and the same amount of certain pride to simply open their pants wherever they please. It seems to be the only truly visible sign in India that it is indeed a democracy. — Tina Clemmer

Men urinate in open spaces all over the world; in Europe men at least seek dark corners or bushes to relief themselves and do so shamefully, at other time they might be in a drunken stupor. But men in Delhi have no shame and they are certainly not intoxicated when they just stop their mopeds in the middle of traffic to piss against a wall. Take a bus trip and see how male passengers do not even bother to walk away from the bus to open their pants. Its not people but only men who cannot help themselves but use the open road, but how come we see no women lifting their saris everywhere? Obviously they manage to find a toilet or simply hold it until they get home. — Bettina Snyder

Do people micturating(urinating) in public turn you off? Do you think it is time a change in their mindset is brought about? How do we go about it?

Thanks a lot Sowmyaa 😳 for your guidance.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Haah!!!

I just remember the quote

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

People invent new places to finish their works!!!

No further comments!!

Mythili

bhilwara thumbnail
We see only men doing that in public and not women who obviously control and use the appropriate facility. But isn't the act unhealthy and embarassing?

Men doing it around public places, middle of city, lack discipline for sure. Could it be "Male Macho Attitude", since men have the god given mobility while doing it vs. women?
Significant percentage of people in India have no access to lavatories of thier own or public ones so the habit of urinating in open has just in-built in their lifestyle.

Here is in intersting article on similar subject if you're interested.
Human Waste Overwhelms India's War on Disease

http://www.swopnet.com/engr/sanitation/India_sewers.html
chatbuster thumbnail
haha well i guess there's some rustic old-world charm in going out in the open and doing it under the khula aasman. to the extent one can manage to find kheti terrain, i suppose one is also doing it because one believes in the cause of irrigating the land and contributing to a healthier crop. personally i'd stop at the khet and not take out those pleasures on concrete structures unless the bladder's about to burst looking for the nearest McDonald's 😆
sowmyaa thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: bhilwara

We see only men doing that in public and not women who obviously control and use the appropriate facility. But isn't the act unhealthy and embarassing?

Men doing it around public places, middle of city, lack discipline for sure. Could it be "Male Macho Attitude", since men have the god given mobility while doing it vs. women?
Significant percentage of people in India have no access to lavatories of thier own or public ones so the habit of urinating in open has just in-built in their lifestyle.

Here is in intersting article on similar subject if you're interested.
Human Waste Overwhelms India's War on Disease

http://www.swopnet.com/engr/sanitation/India_sewers.html

Bhilwara, thanks for sharing article. It does say lot about this topic.
Snape thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
when i was visiting kolkata, i found a lot of streetlight-posts have been kindly watered 😆 ... [i assure u this happens a lot in my own country too]

the thing is simple , there is not enough public toilets.
For india or neighbouring countries, a lot of people inhabit the city who are plainly labours or low-income-class people. They wouldnt get an access to shoppingmall or other public places where they can access to a toilet. Even in some public toilets , tolls are taken for using it. So, in many cases, they actually have no where to go to take a leak. for that, they'd rather answer the call the natural free way.
chatbuster thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Snape

when i was visiting kolkata, i found a lot of streetlight-posts have been kindly watered 😆 ... [i assure u this happens a lot in my own country too]

the thing is simple , there is not enough public toilets.
For india or neighbouring countries, a lot of people inhabit the city who are plainly labours or low-income-class people. They wouldnt get an access to shoppingmall or other public places where they can access to a toilet. Even in some public toilets , tolls are taken for using it. So, in many cases, they actually have no where to go to take a leak. for that, they'd rather answer the call the natural free way.

haha am with u on this. in a country with more "pressing needs"  😉 , i think it's rather extravagant to talk about providing public facilities for relief. in any case, aside from the malls that are coming up these days, where should we have these facilities- the friendly neighborhood shop next to our homes? anyone for that?😛😆

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

- we build public loos but they are never enough 🤢
- the ones which exist are so dirty that u'd rather die of you bladder bursting than put up with the odour 😡
- underpaid lazy municipal staff 🤢
- low civic sense 😭
- no sense of belonging or responsibility for "public" things/ places 🤢
- the feeling of " I am doing it just this once" catch the others who do it everyday! 😉
- no strict govt rules- they have a law against public smoking but is there one againt public peeing??? 😕
- Havent seen a campaign in the media against this- they are much too busy speculating whether Aishwarya Rai is getting married or not! 😡

I remember a foreigner once commenting..India is just one vast lavatory...I wanted to refute this but I still havent found a way to do it!

Ps- ppl squatting  by the railway tracks on the outskirts of Delhi...that is one sight I want to wipe off( no pun intended 😉 ) forever!

Edited by TallyHo - 17 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Some time ago, I remember seeing this headline on the cover of a magazine which is so apt.

INDIA - A NATION IN NEED OF TOILET TRAINING
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

This content was originally posted by: punjini

Some time ago, I remember seeing this headline on the cover of a magazine which is so apt.

INDIA - A NATION IN NEED OF TOILET TRAINING

That could be a good concept for an ad campaign!😛

I think what could work in this case would be Doordarsharn kind of campaigns....remember the haspatal walle bhai saab ads they used to to years ago???

But does anyone even watch Doordarshan these days???😕