Doli Armaano Ki - Closing thoughts

Share
Posted: 2015-09-25T11:12:28Z

My sincere apologies in advance for this long post.

Today Doli Armaano Ki airs it's final episode thus bringing curtains down after a 2 year successful run. My feelings at this juncture are pretty much mixed.

Never having watched it before the leap Kunal's entry into the show is what compelled me to give it a shot. With a highly intriguing character like Shaurya Urmi Sinha it was difficult not to be hooked and continuously guess at what his character might reveal. Added to this was a bold firebrand heroine like Diya Tiwari, a virtual rarity in today's television landscape and played amazingly by Neha Sargam along with a great cast and there was so much to look forward to in this post leap story. Even the sudden change in theme to address something as horrendous as rape was appreciated only for its realistic and sensitive treatment of it. It was during Diya's fight for justice track that I had to leave on vacation which honestly I was begrudging because it meant losing track of the story. Anyways news of new entrants notably Gaurav Chopra just made me hopeful for better things on getting back. In those many weeks I was far removed from anything happening in the show when on the rare occasion I came online the first thing I see is news of the show going off-air which I dismissed as a rumour. I mean, how could the show get over when there was so much still left to be told?

But alas. I get back to see that indeed the news was confirmed and the show was to be wrapped within a fortnight! Anyways I set about on a marathon catching up with a month's worth of episodes and given that I used to post daily reviews on the episodes before I left here's my very succinct take on those episodes I missed:

When I left the court case was at its peak with Urmi, Shaurya and Diya getting CCTV footage of the vehicle from that night. So far so good. But then there was a notable increase in speed with the way things progressed with Jamdaar's involvement revealed, Karan's about-turn in court, Shaya's challenge to Jamdaar and Diya appealing to the public and then miraculously her family doctor having test reports from that night (which frankly I'm quite dubious about but let's forget that now). It was a totally unexpected turn of events but anyways I understand they wanted to end with this track somehow.

Anyways rape track done I'd expected them to now focus on Shaurya and his past and ShaYa's future but there the show took a different path of Diya's marriage conspiracy. I understand they needed a reason to get ShaYa married but was it so necessary to take this route of a forced marriage? This track also marked a sea-change in Damini's characterization where overnight the scheming disapproving Badi ma is turned into an OTT murderous witch plotting deaths now. As a character Damini was always grey so this sudden change to coal black was hard to digest. Even the fierce Diya who up till then stood strong and unflappable in the face of any storm was suddenly reduced to a silent sacrificial lead. The only good development from this track was that we got to see a love-struck Shaurya and Kunal was a delight to watch as usual.

And in all this where was Shaurya and his story? They could have taken the story in another direction after the rape focusing instead on Shaurya's past and all those hints the various characters have been dropping in the dialogues. Also coupled with Diya's journey forward in society and also the challenges faced by victims when it comes to love, trust and intimacy. That would have been a good track for ShaYa in terms of performance and story where both deal with their own demons while gradually progressing towards love. Sooo much could have been explored. But even there we had no such luck. Instead even more characters and side-tracks got introduced like Akash Kumar's family life which now in hindsight didn't serve any purpose to the story. I honestly feel bad that an actor like Gaurav Chopra was wasted in such a role which now is just left hanging in the air along with other tracks like Nupur and her real identity being revealed which seems to be long forgotten. This also seems to be the case with Shaurya and his past.

And now within this one week we have had multiple murder attempts, one hospitalization and an arrest and now it's going to end with Urmi supposedly killing Damini. Was it necessary to culminate in such an overly dramatic fashion? Given the title of the show the least they could have done was focus more on ShaYa and their married life but even that was quickly done with in an episode.

So yes, my feelings at this point are definitely mixed. Nonetheless despite the haphazard tracks I find myself already missing the show solely for it's fantastic cast who despite the script requirements never failed to give excellent performances. All the more since there's minimal chance of getting this ensemble together again. So among the good things I take away from this show this Toli of Doli will definitely be foremost. As for the rest, I can only think of what could have been. 

13 Likes this
Posted: 2015-09-25T12:55:43Z
The story started as Urmi's journey with her marriage into the Rathore family. She got a second chance at life with Ishaan Sinha.  The whole story was about her journey and the lessons she learned which made her stronger and an independent woman. She ended the storyline with a lesson for all girls who dream of the perfect marriage.  She opened our eyes to the reality of life that it isn't always a bed of roses but with support of family and strength one can face the most difficult challenges that come in life.
10 Likes this
Posted: 2015-09-25T13:43:45Z
Wonderful Post @Zephyr29 Clap

Exactly my thoughts about the show... Watched this show only for Kunal.

We, Kunal fans were so overjoyed to see Kunal back on screen after such a long gap. And the character he chose to do was very promising. We had hoped so much from this show and the character Shaurya and also we had started dreaming about ShaYa love story...Day Dreaming
alas... nothing happened as expected.Broken Heart

I am sure even Kunal had high hopes from this show and his character... sigh...Unhappy

Is it our bad luck that we had only a few months of treat to watch Kunal on screen ??? Or is it Kunal's bad luck that this show wrapped up so soon and so abruptly??? All this happened in the name of TRP??? I feel like shouting at everyone... urgh... irritating...Angry

We waited for Kunal for so long... but, we didn't even get to see him for at least six months...Cry

Now show has ended... emptiness...Ermm
8 Likes this
Posted: 2015-09-25T15:42:17Z
Originally posted by rose2015


The story started as Urmi's journey with her marriage into the Rathore family. She got a second chance at life with Ishaan Sinha.  The whole story was about her journey and the lessons she learned which made her stronger and an independent woman. She ended the storyline with a lesson for all girls who dream of the perfect marriage.  She opened our eyes to the reality of life that it isn't always a bed of roses but with support of family and strength one can face the most difficult challenges that come in life.


It is true that it started off as Urmi's story and post leap it was about her grown kids and the new challenges she faced in that situation. But in keeping with the title at least there they could have focused a bit more on her son Shaurya and the girl who would come as her bahu, Diya, also along with her daughter Ishani. Shaurya was clearly shown to be battling demons and said to have had a turbulent past, as a mother they could have shown Urmi helping him to come to terms with it. She did help Diya extensively during the rape case but as a saas we really haven't seen much dynamic between her and Diya who despite having won the case was still someone who had undergone such horrific trauma. And the CVs seemed to depict that winning justice was all that matters but it's the rehabilitation of these survivors especially when it comes to forging new relationships which is an uphill battle. They could have shown Urmi helping and supporting Diya here. So much more scope to include Urmi in all these story threads. But these aspects were either rushed over or left incomplete while they focused more on Damini and her unnecessary revenge nonsense. There was no need to turn her completely black in the end. It just shows that she was no worse than Samrat in this respect. 
7 Likes this
Posted: 2015-09-25T16:03:36Z
Originally posted by Meera_Ka_Mohan


Wonderful Post @Zephyr29 Clap

Exactly my thoughts about the show... Watched this show only for Kunal.

We, Kunal fans were so overjoyed to see Kunal back on screen after such a long gap. And the character he chose to do was very promising. We had hoped so much from this show and the character Shaurya and also we had started dreaming about ShaYa love story...Day Dreaming
alas... nothing happened as expected.Broken Heart

I am sure even Kunal had high hopes from this show and his character... sigh...Unhappy

Is it our bad luck that we had only a few months of treat to watch Kunal on screen ??? Or is it Kunal's bad luck that this show wrapped up so soon and so abruptly??? All this happened in the name of TRP??? I feel like shouting at everyone... urgh... irritating...Angry

We waited for Kunal for so long... but, we didn't even get to see him for at least six months...Cry

Now show has ended... emptiness...Ermm


Thank you Smile. Same here, I started watching only for Kunal and Shaurya then started liking the other actors and characters. As a character the amount of possibilities for Shaurya were just endless and I remember the various posts/threads here on the speculations behind his past and personality. And even the ShaYa love story had so much story to be told. I cannot find it in me to blame the PH. If at all anyone should be held responsible it must be the channel who was just desperate for TRPs and seems to have continuously put pressure on the PH which led them to abandon, speed up or change tracks as per their requirement. And when they didn't get the numbers decided to wrap it up. I still can't believe its other shows with even lesser ratings are still allowed to continue Censored

Instead of bad luck I tend to look at it positively. After a gap of one and half years we finally got to see Kunal that too in a role like Shaurya. And for three months at least we got to enjoy his presence on our screens even though it was too short plus we got another memorable jodi like ShaYa. And from all his posts even he was happy with the Doli family so there were some pleasant things too in all the disappointment. Here's hoping that now at least we won't have to wait long for him to return. 
7 Likes this
Posted: 2015-09-26T01:00:35Z
Amazing review Rachana. I completely agree with your thoughts and I love the way u summarized it.Star
Well me too started watching DAK for Kunal, I loved him LRL. I was a kid back then and LRL was my fav show ever where we had an ensemble of cast, that time probably I dint even know Kunal's name, lol but then I saw him again in NBT, just a bit. Though this was touted to be a great show I couldn't watch it owing to my studies n many other factors. So now after all these years it was Kunal's entry in DAK that dragged me here. I initially had a lot of expectation. I kinda expected mills & boons kinda shaya romance but what came was a disappointment. I absolutely hated it when the CVs came up with the tragic rape track, because well, that was unexpected twist in DAK. But then I stuck with the show because despite all odds, there was some magic within shaya, something that I never saw in any couples I saw. there were no long eye locks, no trip and falls, or cliches but still their emotional connect and their mere presence touched our hearts. I thought it would be a long journey for shaya.. but alas it all had to end so soon. Like you, I too thought that after ending the rape track, they will focus on shaurya, shaya... an intriguing character like shaurya wasn't explored at all? I wonder why the channel pressurized PH to end the show? trps were also good but then they had to make way for their so called new showSleepy

But still I must say that this was one different show that strongly gave out its message. the cast and crew were fabulous with everything. Although the end was a disappointment, I think we can't blame the CVs completely. Will miss DAK cast. I sincerely hope KKK, Neha and everyone come back soon with a new show soon. I'm afraid if this disappointment will make the cast choosy, but I wish they forget this quickly and move on. They must, for the sake of their fans,Star

P.S. sorry for that rant. couldnt help. I must mention Mansi Salvi too, she made me fall in love with her with that grace and elegance. For the first time I loved hero's mom. I mean come on, hero's mom always plays spoilsport in other shows right? ;)
Edited by -Pree.Jaani- - 2015-09-26T01:07:06Z
5 Likes this
Posted: 2015-09-26T11:39:45Z
Originally posted by -Pree.Jaani-


Amazing review Rachana. I completely agree with your thoughts and I love the way u summarized it.Star
Well me too started watching DAK for Kunal, I loved him LRL. I was a kid back then and LRL was my fav show ever where we had an ensemble of cast, that time probably I dint even know Kunal's name, lol but then I saw him again in NBT, just a bit. Though this was touted to be a great show I couldn't watch it owing to my studies n many other factors. So now after all these years it was Kunal's entry in DAK that dragged me here. I initially had a lot of expectation. I kinda expected mills & boons kinda shaya romance but what came was a disappointment. I absolutely hated it when the CVs came up with the tragic rape track, because well, that was unexpected twist in DAK. But then I stuck with the show because despite all odds, there was some magic within shaya, something that I never saw in any couples I saw. there were no long eye locks, no trip and falls, or cliches but still their emotional connect and their mere presence touched our hearts. I thought it would be a long journey for shaya.. but alas it all had to end so soon. Like you, I too thought that after ending the rape track, they will focus on shaurya, shaya... an intriguing character like shaurya wasn't explored at all? I wonder why the channel pressurized PH to end the show? trps were also good but then they had to make way for their so called new showSleepy

But still I must say that this was one different show that strongly gave out its message. the cast and crew were fabulous with everything. Although the end was a disappointment, I think we can't blame the CVs completely. Will miss DAK cast. I sincerely hope KKK, Neha and everyone come back soon with a new show soon. I'm afraid if this disappointment will make the cast choosy, but I wish they forget this quickly and move on. They must, for the sake of their fans,Star

P.S. sorry for that rant. couldnt help. I must mention Mansi Salvi too, she made me fall in love with her with that grace and elegance. For the first time I loved hero's mom. I mean come on, hero's mom always plays spoilsport in other shows right? ;)

Thank you, Pree Smile 
LRL was a fantastic show and will always be among my all-time favorites Star

Despite everything, I still believe Shaurya was an amazing character who just wasn't explored to his full potential. For that I guess I'll just depend on my overactive imagination to think about what could have been. Rape track was so shocking coz none of us saw that coming. But even then I still felt it held a lot of scope for Shaya to deal with their respective pain while falling in love. Performance wise it would have been amazing for both Kunal and Neha. 

@bold- This was one of the major attractions of the Shaya love story. No such "special" effects just a very simple and real world love story which was very relatable. Even though short and rushed at least the CVs didn't think to over-dramatize this, so thank you CVs. 

But yes in the end, DAK was a different and inspirational show with relevant messages on today's society and was pretty realistic in the way they handled many tracks. So for this alone and for the actors I appreciate the makers, as for blame I place it mostly on the channel's head, no one else, for not showing more faith and patience on a show with so much story still left. 


PS: Your rant is most welcome Smile. Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said about Manasi Salvi, nothing more to add Thumbs Up 
Edited by zephyr29 - 2015-09-26T11:40:01Z
3 Likes this
Posted: 2015-09-27T08:17:21Z
No need to apologize, Rach, you just voiced all our concerns...Never would've watched the show if it were not for Kunal...and then, began liking all the other actors too...Neha, Manasi, Kamya, even Anirudh and Kunal Jaisingh...all were awesome...if only the story lived upto the level of the actors' caliber...
It was a shock fo the regular viewers too and we too dismissed the initial reports as rumours...but when it was confirmed...Oh God...nothing other than disappointment...and just then I too had to stop writing here as I resumed college...ANd frankly, there was nothing worth writing other than Kunal and Neha's amazing scenes...they are simply awesome! Wish we get to see them again eventhough it is in the unwritten rules to never repeat a couple...



Originally posted by zephyr29


My sincere apologies in advance for this long post.

Today Doli Armaano Ki airs it's final episode thus bringing curtains down after a 2 year successful run. My feelings at this juncture are pretty much mixed.

Never having watched it before the leap Kunal's entry into the show is what compelled me to give it a shot. With a highly intriguing character like Shaurya Urmi Sinha it was difficult not to be hooked and continuously guess at what his character might reveal. Added to this was a bold firebrand heroine like Diya Tiwari, a virtual rarity in today's television landscape and played amazingly by Neha Sargam along with a great cast and there was so much to look forward to in this post leap story. Even the sudden change in theme to address something as horrendous as rape was appreciated only for its realistic and sensitive treatment of it. It was during Diya's fight for justice track that I had to leave on vacation which honestly I was begrudging because it meant losing track of the story. Anyways news of new entrants notably Gaurav Chopra just made me hopeful for better things on getting back. In those many weeks I was far removed from anything happening in the show when on the rare occasion I came online the first thing I see is news of the show going off-air which I dismissed as a rumour. I mean, how could the show get over when there was so much still left to be told?

But alas. I get back to see that indeed the news was confirmed and the show was to be wrapped within a fortnight! Anyways I set about on a marathon catching up with a month's worth of episodes and given that I used to post daily reviews on the episodes before I left here's my very succinct take on those episodes I missed:

When I left the court case was at its peak with Urmi, Shaurya and Diya getting CCTV footage of the vehicle from that night. So far so good. But then there was a notable increase in speed with the way things progressed with Jamdaar's involvement revealed, Karan's about-turn in court, Shaya's challenge to Jamdaar and Diya appealing to the public and then miraculously her family doctor having test reports from that night (which frankly I'm quite dubious about but let's forget that now). It was a totally unexpected turn of events but anyways I understand they wanted to end with this track somehow.

Anyways rape track done I'd expected them to now focus on Shaurya and his past and ShaYa's future but there the show took a different path of Diya's marriage conspiracy. I understand they needed a reason to get ShaYa married but was it so necessary to take this route of a forced marriage? This track also marked a sea-change in Damini's characterization where overnight the scheming disapproving Badi ma is turned into an OTT murderous witch plotting deaths now. As a character Damini was always grey so this sudden change to coal black was hard to digest. Even the fierce Diya who up till then stood strong and unflappable in the face of any storm was suddenly reduced to a silent sacrificial lead. The only good development from this track was that we got to see a love-struck Shaurya and Kunal was a delight to watch as usual.

And in all this where was Shaurya and his story? They could have taken the story in another direction after the rape focusing instead on Shaurya's past and all those hints the various characters have been dropping in the dialogues. Also coupled with Diya's journey forward in society and also the challenges faced by victims when it comes to love, trust and intimacy. That would have been a good track for ShaYa in terms of performance and story where both deal with their own demons while gradually progressing towards love. Sooo much could have been explored. But even there we had no such luck. Instead even more characters and side-tracks got introduced like Akash Kumar's family life which now in hindsight didn't serve any purpose to the story. I honestly feel bad that an actor like Gaurav Chopra was wasted in such a role which now is just left hanging in the air along with other tracks like Nupur and her real identity being revealed which seems to be long forgotten. This also seems to be the case with Shaurya and his past.

And now within this one week we have had multiple murder attempts, one hospitalization and an arrest and now it's going to end with Urmi supposedly killing Damini. Was it necessary to culminate in such an overly dramatic fashion? Given the title of the show the least they could have done was focus more on ShaYa and their married life but even that was quickly done with in an episode.

So yes, my feelings at this point are definitely mixed. Nonetheless despite the haphazard tracks I find myself already missing the show solely for it's fantastic cast who despite the script requirements never failed to give excellent performances. All the more since there's minimal chance of getting this ensemble together again. So among the good things I take away from this show this Toli of Doli will definitely be foremost. As for the rest, I can only think of what could have been. 

3 Likes this

Related Topics

Topics Author Replies Views Last Post Reply
myrah13 4 1120 2015-06-24T05:20:44Z librapiscesarie
varunD 0 417 2014-01-15T02:13:24Z varunD
amrapali_dubey 7 921 2013-12-22T08:24:40Z aggarwalrachna
Sutapasima 0 1208 2016-03-01T00:18:01Z Sutapasima
jyoti06 15 1389 2015-10-15T11:05:27Z bahi.

Topic Info

  • 12 Replies
  • 1564Views

Topic started by zephyr29

Last replied by zephyr29

FORUM QUICK JUMP

TOP