Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Scandal Flashback 1999: Ameesha Patel- Mamta Kulkarni Catfight!

*Aryan* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Back in the day Mamta Kulkarni was one of the most controversial actresses of Bollywood. She had problems with several actresses and would often make outrageous statements against them. She was a favourite with the tabloids since she never believed in holding back and wouldn't hesitate in making extremely scandalous statements. But one catfight she had with an actress shocked everyone - simply because the girl in question was the spunky Ameesha Patel who was just a newcomer in those days. 

The run-in happened in Mauritius when Ameesha, who is known to have very few close friends in the industry, met Mamta at a common friend's invitees only' party. The fight, say insiders, happened over a very silly reason - meat! According to sources, the altercation between the two began when Ameesha spotted Mamta harassing a waiter over the poor quality of meat that was being served at the party. When the waiter politely reminded her that she was eating venison (deer meat) and not chicken (which is softer than the former when cooked) Mamta allegedly created a scene. Ameesha, never known to mince words, apparently passed a comment on Mamta's lack of social etiquette. When Mamta's friend overheard the comment, she was furious and let off some steam at Ameesha, who was shocked at her behaviour. She apparently sneered at Ameesha saying, "You are here in Mauritius to shoot for hair oil, aren't you? Well, for your information while you get paid a measly INR one lakh (Dhs 5770) I get INR15 lakh (Dhs86550) for the same. So you tell me who is a bigger star, you or me?" Unaware of what to do amidst total strangers, Ameesha thought it was better to walk away instead of creating a scene. 

BACK IN MUMBAI, WHEN a few reporters asked Ameesha about the controversy, she retorted, "Oh no, you are talking of an incident that happened a long time ago. She (Mamta) is dying for some publicity, that's all. Please don't bring it up. It's so dumb to bring up the issue now. Mamta is uselessly getting into a controversy where there is no need to rake up the issue." One thought that was the end of the story but more was in store. A few months later, at the Oshiwara Club, Mamta spotted Rakesh Roshan's daughter Sunaina with a group of her friends that included Ameesha. The actress had just shot for Kaho Naa...Pyaar Hai with Rakesh's son Hrithik hence was close to the Roshan family. 

Mamta had known Sunaina Roshan from the time she worked in Rakesh Roshan's  Karan Arjun. Since she too knew the Roshans well, she went up to Sunaina to greet her. When Sunaina introduced Mamta to Ameesha, the latter turned away, ignoring Mamta's presence completely. This didn't go down well with Mamta who probably wondered how a newcomer could ignore a star like her. She apparently told Ameesha, "Haven't we met before?"

Ameesha didn't deny that she ignored Mamta. "Yes, I did meet her but we did not exchange a hello or anything. I don't think Mamta even remembered me. I was doing my own thing and she was busy elsewhere."

EVIDENTLY, THE INCIDENT THAT had happened in Mauritius a long time ago was still a bone of contention between the two. After a little prompting, Ameesha gave a  detailed perspective of what had actually happened. She said, "All of us were at a dinner party thrown by Mr. Bajaj (of the Bajaj Sevashram fame) and Mamta was complaining and harassing everybody about the food. Forget Mamta, even her secretary started abusing people there. I didn't want them to scream so much because Mr. Bajaj was just sitting down at the table and I am sure he could hear everything that was being said. I told them, Everyone is eating the same food. Despite being in Mauritius, the hosts are trying to do their best to provide a great meal by Indian cooks they have flown over, so I don't think you should complain. My words angered Mamta because she thought she was a big star. What followed next was Mamta trying to show off her star status and telling me, "Who do you think you are?"

The other detail that emerged out of the interview was that in a fit of anger, Ameesha apparently blurted, "If you got a little educated, it would have helped you." That's when Mamta's secretary came into the picture and almost threatened Ameesha physically but she was saved by her mother who allegedly caught the secretary's hand and yelled Don't you dare to touch my daughter.'  

Later, Ameesha and her mum left the party and Mamta, who was reportedly high, probably chose to forget the incident and enjoy the evening. Sources say that ever since, Mamta and Ameesha never saw eye to eye and would never cross each other's paths.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW
Ameesha Patel - She turned producer with Desi Magic. Her next production will be Bhaiyyaji Superhitt 
Mamta Kulkarni - Mamta, after having lived a controversial life, chose to turn into a yogini (a saint). In November 2014, last heard, she was allegedly arrested with her partner and husband Vicky Goswami on the charge of trafficking in Kenya. Later, it was reported that she was detained in Kenya but not arrested. 
The police apparently were not able to gain solid evidence to prove Mamta's involvement in the trafficking issue as an accomplice. Hence, Mamta has been asked to stay put at her home in Kenya and will have to make repeated visits to the police station when summoned.

http://www.masala.com/scandal-flashback-1999-ameesha-patel-mamta-kulkarni-catfight-195419.html
Edited by *Aryan* - 8 years ago