Is Mumbai world's rudest city? - Page 2

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 17 years ago

Few months back there was a survey by Reader's digest which found New York in the US as most cordial and Mumbai the rudest city in the world because commoners in Mumbai were found to be less cordial. Do you agree with it? How important is it to say 'Thank You'? Have you ever been to Mumbai? What was your experience?

I am not from Mumbai but have visited it many times and I have not found anything rude about this city. Commoners were very helpful. I have taken cabs without knowing my exact destination point and the cabwallas have helped me find the place. I have been to many places in India and I find Mumbai the best.

Note to Mods: If this topic was discussed before then please feel free to delete it.

Morgoth thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Maya*

Few months back there was a survey by Reader's digest which found New York in the US as most cordial and Mumbai the rudest city in the world because commoners in Mumbai were found to be less cordial.

This is amusing because it is often said that New York is one of the rudest cities in the world!

I always take such surveys with a pinch of salt because they are never foolproof. Relevant samples, sample sizes, areas surveyed are important aspects of such analyses and have an impact on the results.

In conclusion, I don't think Mumbai is the world's rudest city.

sowmyaa thumbnail
Hey Maya, good topic. I think we have discussed similar topic before, it was like is mumbai worst city? and people had it compared with NYC too. however, i'll let this debate be as it is as we've new debators and it's nice to hear new views. I'll get back with my view later.
CuteManjot thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Maya*

Few months back there was a survey by Reader's digest which found New York in the US as most cordial and Mumbai the rudest city in the world because commoners in Mumbai were found to be less cordial. Do you agree with it? How important is it to say 'Thank You'? Have you ever been to Mumbai? What was your experience?

I am not from Mumbai but have visited it many times and I have not found anything rude about this city. Commoners were very helpful. I have taken cabs without knowing my exact destination point and the cabwallas have helped me find the place. I have been to many places in India and I find Mumbai the best.

Note to Mods: If this topic was discussed before then please feel free to delete it.

i think it isnt how many people did they have take the survey and have any of those people been to mumbai or new york you can never no how ugly or rude a place is if you havent even been there

momogrl21 thumbnail
I could never think od Mumbai being the most rudest city 😳 Amongst all the crowd and traffic, I found people still to be caring and sweet 😛
shikara thumbnail
new york the nicest city? its quite obvious these people havent been to the bronx!

So dont take these surveys seriously, they sample 10 people and expect it tor represent millions.

I used TA statistics in University and I'd always tell the students, I love statitcis becuase you can extrapolate to make the data say whatever you want
punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
In my experience, I met the maximum number of rude people in New York. I was there for just 2 days and met at least 4 rude people. 3 of them were blacks. 😃

In Mumbai, I have spent about an year. I can't really recall anyone being rude. Of course the Bambaiyya language sounds a little crude, and if you compare with UP Hindi, it even sounds rude. But the people are absolutely delightful.

TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I just think the people are just too busy and hence indifferent in Mumbai...

However they always rise to the occassion...be it celebrating a festival or rushing in to help in times of need ( floods/ blasts) ...I think they cant be labeled as rude... no way!

Have stayed 2 years in the city and would say that working in Mumbai( minus travel 😉 ) is the most pleasurable thing as ppl are so professional, dedicated and open minded!
Lady In Pink thumbnail
I read that survey too and honestly found it quite lame.

I've been to Mumbai several times and i absoluetly LOVE it ! 😃

The couldnt care less attitude , the masti, and the glamour reminds me a lot about my own city back home hence i can never feel homesick in Mumbai. And the people of Bombay are quite sweet 😳

Surprisingly, i didnt find New York very rude either....i guess it just depends on the way you are with people. If you're friendly, they're friendly. But if you go and and like a stuck up snob, then I don't think you can expect them to be very nice either.