Saroj Khan : a success story

Posted: 17 years ago

Most of us are aware of the nautanki queen😛 Saroj Khan in NB but some of us remember her from hit dance songs of 80s. She was the women who made Sridevi & Madhuri housegold names by making them dance to some of the finest tunes.

Here is an article on Saroj Khan (Source: www.indya.com)

"My parents moved to India from Pakistan after partition. My father, Kishanchand Sadhu Singh was a Punjabi, while my mother, Noni, a Sindhi. My father had a flourishing business in Pakistan but he had to leave everything behind when he came to India. I was born in India. Even as a two-year old child, I loved to dance. Since we were in dire straits, my parents put me in films. I was three when I got my first break in Nazrana. I played the little Shyama, sitting on the moon and singing a song.

My original name was Nirmala. My father changed my name to Saroj when he put me in the movies, so that his orthodox family would not know the truth about his little daughter working in films, which was not considered very respectable in those days. From a child-artiste, I became a group dancer and then graduated to being an assistant dance master and finally dance master.

To date, I haven't taken any formal training in dance. I learned my dance from the well-known dance master B Sohanlal. He taught me the basics of Kathak, Kathakali, Manipuri, Bharata Natyam et al. I was barely 13, a schoolgirl, when I married master Sohanlal. He was 43 at that time. I did not know what marriage meant at that time. He just put a black thread around my neck one day and I thought I was married. He didn't tell me that he was already married with four kids. I learned about his first wife only when I gave birth to my first child, my son Raju Khan, in 1963. I was 14 then, too young to comprehend or handle the complicated situation.

In 1965, I gave birth to my second child, a daughter who died within eight months of birth. Around that time, Sohanlal and I parted ways as he refused to give my children his name. Towards the end of 1969, he approached me again to be his assistant. When I refused, he lodged a complaint against me with the Cine Dancer's Association. I resigned myself and started working with him again. Around that time, he suffered a heart attack. I went to see him and there was that one night when I was with him. I conceived my daughter, Kuku. After that he completely disappeared from my life and settled in Madras.

I worked very hard after that to raise my children. I had two kids to bring up. I was very close to Sadhana, Vyjayanthimala, Minoo Mumtaz, Kum Kum, Helen, Sharmila Tagore, Mala Sinha, Waheeda Rehman, right down to Zeenat Aman. It was Sadhana who gave me my first break as a dance master in the film Geeta Mera Naam (1974). She was very attached to me and told R K Nayyar that she didn't want any other dance director to compose her dances. Around that time, I met a Pathan, a businessman named Sardar Roshan Khan. He was married with kids but he fell deeply in love with me. He was willing to accept my children and give them his name unlike Sohanlal, so I married him in 1975. He turned out to be Godsend, and I haven't regretted my decision to date. He gave me a lot of love and his first wife and I live like sisters today. You accept a lot when you love a man.

Though I did many films, I was not well-known till Subhash Ghai offered me Hero. After that there was no looking back for me. Today I've worked with almost all the heroines in the past two decades. Rekha, Sridevi, Madhuri, Karisma, Urmila to Aishwarya, I've taught all of them. I haven't had any problems with any heroine regarding the dance steps, as they know that I won't ever show them in vulgar light. I make them look sensuous, but never vulgar.

I don't watch MTV, nor do I derive inspiration from those western dances. I use my own imagination and that is enough for me.

I have no regrets about not being a solo classical dancer. They have so many limitations as far as filmi dances are concerned and would never fit into the Industry. I've carved a niche for myself despite not being a classical dancer and that says a lot. I am not worried about the impact of my dances on society, what I am concerned about is whether my directors and distributors like them or not?

Today, I am not scared of Farah Khan, Ahmed Khan, Chinni Prakash, Tarun or Ganesh. I am scared of only my own work. And as long as I do good quality work, I have nothing to worry about.

My son, Raju and I are friends more than family. We fight like cats and dogs, but we always sort out our differences. I accepted his first wife Shabnam and she lives with me. Professionally, Raju and I are rivals. He keeps telling me to retire and make space for others but I have no such plans. I still have a lot to do.

My dance is my life. As of now, I'm still fit enough to do work, even though I have slowed down the pace. I am happy being a part of this industry. It's family to me. More than my family, it has stood by me.

Looking back all these years, all in all, it's been a good life. I thank God for it. Every morning when I get up and do Namaaz, I thank the almighty for everything he has given me. If God were to ask me what I want to become in my next birth, I'd say, Saroj Khan again."

Note to Mods: Please delete this post if this article was posted before.

Thank you Maya for posting this.
I wish torepeat myself here
From Dance Assitant in Nartaki, 1963, to Choreographer in Dost 1974, to Hero, Nagina, Janbaaz, Mr. India, Tezaab, Ram Lakhan, Karma, Chandani, Tridev, Thanedar, Saudagar, Lamhe, darr, Bazigar, Mohra, Trimurti, Raja, Rangeela, DDLJ, Khamoshi the Musical, Hum Dil de Chuke Sanam, Fiza, Mission KAshmir, Lagaan, Devdas, Saathiya, Chameli, Swadesh, Kisna, more then about 200 films the lady has choreographed, and some unintelligent people say she doesnt understand dance. (the same has been mentione by a lot of people few times).
I think this itself is a proof that how people with no knowledge judge some one who is one of the LEGENDS.
No one has a right to doubt her credential. So think before you speak friends.
woah

thats a turbulent life!!!!

poor lady! she got married at 13??? holy cow!! (holdon, can i say that on a forum?)

gave birth at 14??? woah....
although it's quite disgustin..that Sohanlal

and she married the other guy wen he alredy had a wife? :S:S:S man it's all twisted

now i know why she's so erratic...wow

she cud rite a bestseller on her life!
Here is the woman o substance. I have always respected her as an artist. Now i also look upto her as a woman who has created a niche for herself inspite of all difficulties. Truly the article was quite encouraging.Thanx for sharing
hay can anybody tell me that where is the link of 23 i am waiting fora last three hours so plz replay me i am waiting for replay 😭
i like saroj khan way better than any other choreographer.. farah khan's steps are always predictable and repitetive.
Between the two Saroj Khan is a much better dancer than Farah. Saroj's dances have more graceful body movements whereas Farah's has more acrobatic steps. Both are good in what they do yet there is lot of animosity between the two.
IT has to be SAroj khan, till now i love to c the songs that has been picturized by her, u can clearly identify the diffrence between hers and other choreographers songs.

Vow, the song she has done with Madhuri and Shridevi - awesome!!!

I respect her point of views and comments
Thanks! I hadn't a clue about her history, so this has been rather informative.

Well... for all that she may be a good choreographer, I still find her rather crude as a person. For having been in this industry for such a long time, you would think she would have picked up on the finer points of discretion and tact.

It's too bad that she had to live through all that she has. Kudos to her for being the stronger person.

Correct me if I'm wrong..isn't bigomy illegal?

Quoting Shahrukh Khan: Saroj Khan used to tell me, "Beta, never complain of too much work. Jab nahin hota hai to bahut bura lagta hai."

I think her rudeness and occasional potshots on Farah Khan is the result of her financial crisis and inability to accept the new crop of choreographers and not being the star favorite anymore. Still I don't think her acts are justified. It's fun though😉