SS: A Bend in the Road [Wattpad link-P.126]

Posted: 8 years ago

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.

Prologue        

It had been not more than a month since I have started a new life in Delhi.

It hadn't been easy for the transformation I had had undergone of course. It hadn't been of my choice. It hadn't been in my plans.

But then, life happened.

It seems so unreal even to me that one wrong decision of my family, one moment of trust I placed in a random person, my life tilted on the axis. Married to a wrong guy, who dumped me after stealing my dowry, my own kin trying to kill me for not letting them me marry off to somebody else before the rumour spreads out, and fleeing for life, to start afresh, life had been pretty complex and outright dramatic.

Sometimes at night, when I lie back on my bed trying to make patterns out of the peeking light from the window, I am reminded of the nights I used to sleep in my mom's lap, when she complained about how my hair is losing all its charm. I remember running around in the fields with Rajji and everything that my lost home had once given me; memories that now are thinning in my mind's eye.

And at times like these a tear or two roll down from my eyes.

Yet, I will be ungrateful if I do not admit I am slowly letting the bitter memories take a back seat and let only the good ones prevail. And there was one person who made me come out of my bitter past, and let me instead focus on my present.

Maan Singh Khurana, my boss.

With him beside me blasting me for my mistakes and his, every minute of the day, I had no reason to brood over my past. Instead, he gives me millions of other things to get depressed about.

He is one strange person I ever came across. A taunt when I run straight into doors, and create havoc in his otherwise perfect life, a sarcastic remark when I have my tube-light moment and ask him silly doubts; with him the twelve hours I spend in my office become as much happening as possible. 

General public, who aren't privy to work with him closely and hence had to bear the brunt of his mercurial temper, think I am super lucky to be his secretary and breathe the same air as of him.

Yeah, right.

He is a difficult person to work with and his mercurial temper isn't the only reason for it. Some claim that his good looks contribute a great deal to it, for which I mentally snort.

He did have blessed good looks, to be very frank, with that cleft jaw, and aristocratic nose and eyelashes any girl would kill to have. But what good it is, if they are combined with a brain like that, which has the capability to produce thousand sarcastic remarks a second.

I have only seen people totally in awe of him, or being scared shit of him. There was no middle ground. He was both adored and held in high regard. It is ludicrous how he seemed almost perfect, without any flaws.

Sometimes he does seem too perfect to the point of being inhuman but at times like these I look at his eyes. There is something in his eyes. To an unresponsive, poker face like his, somehow his eyes always had a very different story to tell.

They had this strange darkness to them, and every time I look into them, I find them belong to a person who isn't closed per se, but somebody who doesn't want to be known for what he is.

And hence, to me his best feature is his eyes. Though with his mouth, he utters venom, and piercing words, with his eyes, he apologizes.

And for me, that is enough.

Edited by ChandlerBing - 8 years ago

It was the sixth coffee in the past few hours.

His fingers found the cup automatically, even though his gaze hadn't wavered from the presentation made to the client he was supposed to meet the next day.

He had a sip from it and two. And then his concentration had wavered.

The coffee wasn't perfect, wasn't to his liking. It wasn't made with one cube of sugar, but with god knows how much insane amounts of sugar cubes. With a flash, he was reminded of a day not very long ago.

The first day of his secretary where she sweetened his coffee to the point of being able to kill him, if he were remotely diabetic.

If it were somebody else, he would have fired that person before that person could have their first day completed at the office.

He was intolerant to imperfection.

It went beyond everybody's comprehension that Geet stayed for longer than anyone would have expected. There were bettings going on amongst his employees and if he was right, Adi is growing richer day by day because he was the only person who believed that Geet will soon become a permanent employee.

He knew why Geet wasn't fired yet. She made mistakes, of course. A lot of them in fact. But there was no imperfection. She was like a wild charging bull which is so confidently going towards the wrong path.

A rare half smile creaked across his lips.

He would never admit but her sassy sarcasm entertains him more than he would show. Sometimes with her innocence which he often terms as dumbness to her face; sometimes with her misplaced courage, she speaks her heart, something nobody else does before him; not his employees, not his family.

With his power and stature, he had seen too many yes men, to learn to appreciate somebody like her who isn't living to impress him and makes it her job to articulate the same to him. She was a breath of fresh air to his company, and to him; though he isn't going to admit the latter part anyway.

It had become a part of his routine to have her around, and though she might think she is a wallflower like everybody else to his eyes, it wasn't true. He thinks maybe she stands out in the crowd because of the flashy colors and those noisy anklets she wears every day to office.

Whatever the reason was, he realised he was tuned to her presence more than he would've liked. It was both amusing and annoying to look at her work, which by the way had become more than a habit these days. His eyes keep wavering to that blasted glass partition between them only to see her either being so focused on her work that the tip of her tongue peeking a boo from the corner of her lips, or her answering a call with a grin as if she was talking not to his clients but to her family...

Little details of her, like the small dimple at the corner of her lips that is almost invisible in her laugh lines, the wayward tendrils of hers that somehow manage to escape her otherwise braided hair, became so noticeable to him these days that he had to watch his words while he was blasting her and not be distracted by her obvious complaints about him to her favourite Babaji.

Maybe it was becoming too much of her around him, that he was getting so distracted.

He needs to do something and soon, before he could lose control like that again. The moment is still fresh in his memory when she stood there under the spotlight with her Sari torn, sobbing, and defeated.

The rage he felt then was so strong, so violent that he could have killed the next person who would dare a wrong look or wrong comment against Geet.

The soft touch of her hand gripping his arm as he walked her to his suite for change of clothes, he still remembered. That touch was the only thing that had stopped the raging beast in him from coming out. He hated her tears then and he hates them today.

He, who thought tears would make anybody weak and taunted those who shed them, now felt weak at her tears and it wasn't something he was proud of.

A part of his mind strongly felt a need to do something to physically hurt someone who had put those tears there.

He shut down his laptop as he got up from his chair and went to the window which overlooked the now darkened city.

There was high time he put a stop to this, before it went out of control. She was his secretary and he, her boss. That was that. He had to get away from this madness, whatever this is.

At least temporarily.

He made few calls and went back to his desk. After the presentation to his client Chopra tomorrow, the first thing he would do is to drive to Hoshiyarpur. There was still the land issue that was to be resolved anyway.

He needed some time away to clear his head and gain back his sanity, and maybe if he could claim the land of Handa's, it would be a win-win situation.

She couldn't sleep that night.

As was the case last night.

She tossed and turned for a long time before muttering a curse and going to the balcony.

Sitting on the cold marble floor, she pulled her knees to her chest and plugged in earphones that Pinky gifted her, and started listening to one of the old melodies.

She had crossed all the limits last night.

She could still live with all the embarrassment she caused herself and her boss when they went to the party Mr. Chopra invited them to, but not what happened afterwards.

Mr. Chopra, the new client of Khurana constructions was mightily impressed by their offering and closed the deal instantly and invited Maan Sir to a party in a short notice, and insisted that she, Geet should accompany him.

It was a sore point to Maan Sir of course, she could say. Maan Sir though hated her presence, and hated everything that is her, still somehow managed to be gentleman enough to give her due credit to the inputs she had given in the presentation he had made, and Mr. Chopra, being the happy Santa Claus he was, pressed Geet be there in the project therefore, and insisted she come to the party with Maan Sir.

Geet sighed as she played an old melody of A.R. Rahman.

Maybe she shouldn't have gone at the first place. Her presence hadn't helped the evening a bit. First, she embarrassed herself and Maan Sir as a manager there asked her to leave, with the amazing etiquette she exhibited there.

Maan Sir, who had lost his cool for having his employee treated such walked out of there himself, pulling her along.

Really, that man has a strange sense of gentlemanliness. He can insult her to the moon and back, but won't let anybody else do that. Geet really didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the turn of events.

The evening turned quite eventful when her stomach grumbled loudly and they ended up stopping at a roadside Dhaba and her Hoshiyarpur blood that's running inside her rejoiced at the familiar setting and amazing food and she let her guard down. She ate, danced with Maan Sir, and surprisingly had a great time.

However, things changed drastically after that.

A memory from her past came back as she let the first drop of rains touch her.

In a night similar to this, had she let somebody touch her, somebody come close to her intimately. She remembered how naively had she trusted a man and had let him make love to her, on the pretext of her marriage.

She felt disgusted at herself that she had trusted a man like that at the first place. Disgust came later, but at that moment in the rain, she had felt utterly helpless, and heart broken.

When she felt somebody's hand touch her shoulder, she came out of her musings with a start and turned her startled teary eyes to find Maan Sir looking at her with an expression she would never forget.

His countenance changed from the intense look to concerned; at her tears. That concern had snapped something in her heart. With a sob, she broke down, throwing her arms around his waist and buried her face in his chest.

In introspection, she can state a million reasons why that was a bad idea. But at that moment, when she felt utterly alone, that look in Maan Sir's eyes had conveyed a great deal to her. Somewhere she felt that if not to anybody it would matter to him; her tears.

In his embrace that she felt few moments after, she felt safe, and secure.

A thunder, pushed her back to her senses and she pushed him away and like a proverbial mouse, ran away.

That was a day before. Today morning she had been to office and felt queasy just at the thought of facing Maan Sir. Pinky came to her with a cheery grin and told her he had two good news lined up for her.

One was that Maan Sir made her in charge of Chopra project. She had to work closely with Rishi and his team for that, and they needed to go to Dehradun for that.

Geet felt genuinely happy for the first time in the day, for the fact that she was being given responsibilities beyond her qualification, just having trust placed on her calibre. Of course being sent to a place like Dehradun added to her spirits.

"What's the second good news?" she asked all excited.

"Maan Sir is gone on office work to a place nobody knows. If we go with the predictions, he would be away for at least a week"

The smile on Geet's lips faltered.

Why did that sound far from being a good news, god knows.

He went back to the woods, and made his tent at the clearing in the banks of the lake, where he had first met Geet.

It was getting to his nerves now that wherever he go, he would end up being reminded of his secretary.

What happened that night had been the last straw.

That night when she came into his arms, had he realized what was missing so far. With her in his arms, he felt a strange sense of contentment he had never thought he was looking for; though he felt his heartbeat pick up. He hesitated for a bit, but when he had let himself embrace her back, he felt something change in him. He felt something pristine, and felt a need to protect the woman in his arms from anything that was bothering her.

Before he could complete the train of his thought, she pushed him away and after teetering like a lost puppy, ran away. Her act has shocked her more than, it could've surprised him, he noted belatedly. When she ran away, he extended his hand to stop her but her name died on his lips. Things were swivelling out of hands, and fast, he realized. That was a night ago. After that, he stayed in the rain, in the middle of the road like a man in trance, until it finally dawned on him.

He had grudgingly accepted that he was being affected by his secretary, in a way he didn't think was possible. He felt the need to go to a far off place to clear his head, and drove his car straight to Hoshiyarpur, changing his initial plans of driving next morning.

What he felt for her was more than attraction. It went beyond physical. There was this pulsing need inside him that is consuming him with just a night away from her that only physical exertion looked like a way out.

In the early morning jog he had taken around the village, he had passed those places he had already, at a different time when he met Geet, in the last visit to Hoshiyarpur.

It was so different back then, she was the stubborn woman that she still is, she had power on him even then, to some extent. She invaded his thoughts so much back then as she is now. One striking difference he had observed was that she hadn't been herself when he first met her.

By now, he knew Geet was cheerful by nature. The Geet he met in Hoshiyarpur was a silhouette of the woman he knew now. There had been so many questions that still were unanswered and that are linked to him in more than a business proposition.

Handa's land though was sold to him legally, it couldn't be acquired by him due to the complications it was in. The first day he had been to Hoshiyarpur, he asked his Munshiji to get to the bottom of the situation. A family's personal issues were involved in it, and he hesitated for a bit, since it was Geet's family.

The news Munshiji bought him had set the ball rolling.

"The boy of the house is in jail now Chhote sa'ab" he had said in the peaceful voice of his, "Put there by his first cousin, on whose name the land was registered. Uss baat ko ab chedna..." he had left it unfinished, but what he had said had piqued his ears that he actually stood up from where he was sitting.

Geet sent Brij to jail? She actually followed his advice?

The little detail cleared so much, as much as it raised few new questions.

As a businessman, he had learnt to not base anything on assumptions.

And when he started questioning the gaps, he found so many loose ends. There were still unanswered questions on why Brij wanted to kill Geet, why had she been running away all the while, how did her land been sold to her at the first place. Once he started thinking, he realized that maybe the man he branded as Geet's boyfriend wasn't a boyfriend after all. Maybe he had been looking at it all from the wrong way altogether.

"Munshiji, I want every little detail of what happened to the family for the past six months, and soon" he had said, and the old man nodded and walked away wordlessly.

Two days later, he did get the entire details of the story of the Handa's especially Geet's.

congrats on the SS! interesting title! will b waiting!!

Posted Chapter one. Enjoy guys!
wow me first! awesome banner! Fab update! superbly written! Geet's thoughts well portrayed! she has been through so much! she has started a new life in Delhi! her boss MSK makes 4get her past struggles! he is difficult 2 wrk bt she admires him! love the analysis of MSK's personality n character! update soon Edited by khwaishfan - 8 years ago
wow..  looking forward to the story.. 
congo 4 new story based on GHSP concept lovely start liked the way u wrote maans character in geet's eye