Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TanjoreGirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by: Nisha0604

Leadership is as much about vision courage intuition, intellect, as much as it is about "projection"

Calling direct report after office hours
Walking the hallways talking on the phone using words like strategy, paradigm shift, and tactics
PEEING and talking on the phone
Turning even social lunch or dinner conversations into resolving a fabricated work crisis
Giving extra long updates about business trips and hotels and rental cars
Talking extended periods of time about how a person missed their son or daughter's basket ball game or soccer game
Changing Outlook setting ONLY to send emails between Midnight and 3 AM
Saying how much u hate meetings, but setting one up impudently for everything

A picture was recently doing the rounds about how acollege in Bihar is struggling to deal with cheats, on exam days, and how good scores matter for jobs in India. A shameful visual of test taking in India. Lets admit we are a massive country of 1.4 billion people fighting for 1 million jobs, survival of the fittest has to happen

At the same time, the games people play in the corporate world is nothing less. Atleast the kid in Bihar is probably the only one that will be employed in a family of 15 or 20 and must live in utter poverty

The corporate one upmanship games have no such compulsions yet are more  underhand, immensely more dirty and border on misconduct and misrepresentation of facts

Did u just walk into my office πŸ‘πŸ˜†
and u know how do these women find time to dress so well... like seriously manicured hands,pedicured legs, perfect in fashion clothing enga most of the time i forget to comb my hair..πŸ˜†
swathi1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Sorry Swathi
Its a grossly incorrect judgement of II on your part

Ritu calling her at 9 PM on a FRIDAY night has NOTHING to do with her being friends with Bally's kids or her ambition to succeed. Its very hurtful to say "Oh she was unable to achieve what she set out to do so whatever her boss does seems wrong to her"

IF II had taken Friday off and Ritu had called her at NOON. It would STILL be wrong. Legally II is NOT obliged to answer the phone. She can go off the grid
IF II had lied about being sick and was partying instead, but had still taken time off formally through proper channel, still itu calling her is inappropriate. Ritu can act on it later but calling her is wrong

IF II was working from home and Ritu had called her during work hours its acceptable

Ritu's over zealousness and aggressiveness and catty ambition and "projecting" in order to get Bally's job in a year has nothing to do with II's disappointment. Its very spiteful to think II "deserves her boss" runing her weekend because her ambition did not materialize.

Sorry kanna

And as far as me judging II, that was simply based on what u wrote...where II herself felt envious of her boss...I am not blaming II here...I dont think its anyone's fault in this particular situation...not II's nor Ritu's...that is wat I am trying to say...
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: swathi1990

ok this is purely my perspective...and I am going to leave tis here itself...

First,
I dont think by calling a person for 2 mins u ruin their entire weekend...that seems a little bit exaggerating to me...and it still was II's choice to attend or not attend the phonecall...It was not like Ritu blasted her for not attending a phone call on a friday nite...II could have avoided it if she wanted...

Now as an author If u wanted u can make Ritu a bad boss...but in this specific situation I dont feel like that...and that is just my opinion...

YES
I fully agree II is a conscientious, sincere  person, she could have ignored the call and enjoyed her time off, she chose to take it. She was asking about a bunch of reports that accidentally got locked away. I agree she did not yell (IT/IS Hitech bosses SHOULD KNOW better than to yell, most companies worth's its name on NASDAQ will walk you to the door if u are found raising your voice to your drect report) Yelling is common place in many non high tech jobs may be in my 20 years I havent heard of too many bosses going unreported for yelling

II is caring and hard working. Ritu could be a fair and intelligent boss..we dont know yet.
We all have failings, she must too, whether those failings come in the way of managing II only time will tell

Not a problem at all

Feel free to share your outlook. I am no expert in anything. I just speak from experience, and since u are way younger may be give some unsolicited advice... "TURN OFF" and enjoy ur personal time. The company wont reconsider their decision to lay you off because u took a midnight call

I speak from experience. I have never been a boss, never managed a team, I havent had the good fortune to pee and use big words in the toilet, but have worked for a Fortune 500 for 10 years, worked like a donkey, stayed up until 2 AM 3 AM sending emails, answering IM from Europe in the morning Asia in the evening
Done all that.

Not because I wanted to become a Ritu some day. Not because I need the money...But wanted to stay employed because I drive myself insane at home.

They mercilessly let me and 100s of others ago calling it "restructuring"

I sobbed and begged my boss pleading "I gave u 80 hours a week, how can u do this to me"

He said "I am sorry... its not you its the restructuring"

My ass!!
Edited by Nisha0604 - 8 years ago
Hsp.canada thumbnail
Chalo Nisha: Make Ritu are a balanced boss. I want a woman to be a fair boss. I havent had the privilege to work with one. U have the power to show a smart, intelligent woman boss.Please give it a thought.
putti77 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: NSB7

Swathi I don't think II sees her marriage as the thing hurting her career...she is jealous I agree..its a kick in her gut that somebody her age is doing better

But she isn't blaming family or marriage for it...she simply is not able to swallow it
Plus I haven't seen her form an opinion about ritu yet!! She has accepted her jealousy and has not behaved badly or thought about her in a rude way
She is just fighting herself blaming herself and trying to figure pit where she lacks

Nammu adding to your points, recently I have got two reportees as per my experience. I am responsible for their annual feedback based on which their promotion and hike is decided. I equally distribute the work between two. I had a meeting with them and explained them, you have to work between 8:30 to 6:30 and no staying back and weekends working until it is really required or something is burning. Just to push someone down and achieve more by staying back and working late hours is not agreed by me. Because other can't sit back and work late like you. If you achieve extra within the same working hours along with equal responsibilities I can award you better than other. Until it is really burning I don't call reportees after working hours and I don't entertain the same for me. When I get a call from my lead after working hours first question I ask can if wait till tomorrow. If NO then only I proceed with call.

Nisha0604 thumbnail
My Amma is a wise woman, she has never been employed, never set foot in an office except to Appa's or ours later in life (mazhaiki kooda odunginadu kedayadu, taken shelter for rains) but she said one thing to me when I began working as a "married" woman 16 years ago

"If u give up ur personal time, family time, time to take care of your health and work away day and night, eating frozen, ready to eat meals, letting your house turn into a dump, going grey haired at 30, and having ur first BP visit to the doctor at 28,  you are the loser. Tomorrow if he decides he doesnt give a damn he will let u go. Yaaruku prayojanam (What use is all of it is)"

I never gave up cooking two full meals a day no matter what the earth shattering emergency was/is

Nisha0604 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Hsp.canada

Chalo Nisha: Make Ritu are a balanced boss. I want a woman to be a fair boss. I havent had the privilege to work with one. U have the power to show a smart, intelligent woman boss.Please give it a thought.

I cant make her too balanced either, because when we interact with a person 10 hours a day M-F na chahte hue bhi unke saare aib hamey nazar aane lagta haiπŸ˜† Naukri shaadi ki traha hai kyon Shev?
I mean pati se zyaada hum kayi din co workers ya boss ke saath kaam karte hain

Conflict to hoyega hi. Plus there is no reason for Ritu to be overly caring or compassionate towards II

Like u and many have said, female employee with female boss is a tricky combination

Men are by nature laid back, atleast most of them are... there is nothing that cant be resolved over a 6 PM Happy Hour beerπŸ˜†
Hsp.canada thumbnail

I cant make her too balanced either, because when we interact with a person 10 hours a day M-F na chahte hue bhi unke saare aib hamey nazar aane lagta haiπŸ˜† Naukri shaadi ki traha hai kyon Shev?

Conflict to hoyega hi. Plus there is no reason for Ritu to be overly caring or compassionate towards II

Like u and many have said, female employee with female boss is a tricky combination

Men are by nature laid back, atleast most of them are... there is nothing that cant be resolved over a 6 PM Happy Hour beerπŸ˜†

Men are lucky they dont have processing chip in the brain to over analysis things πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.
We women fret and over think everything. I am not looking at Ritu to be friendly as Bally. 
I just dont want her to be like a shark who like to eat people like II for dinner or just circle around just to show asecendancy πŸ˜Š
Edited by Hsp.canada - 8 years ago
SushSathisha thumbnail

agree with u nisha..
there is always some ego clash when a female employee has to work with a female boss... you know who cheez aa jaata hai.. why does she think of herself just because she is my boss/employee she can do anything types..
Howveer, when we work with a men it somewhat gives that ambience makes room for a lot of understanding...
NSB7 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

My Amma is a wise woman, she has never been employed, never set foot in an office except to Appa's or ours later in life (mazhaiki kooda odunginadu kedayadu, taken shelter for rains) but she said one thing to me when I began working as a "married" woman 16 years ago

"If u give up ur personal time, family time, time to take care of your health and work away day and night, eating frozen, ready to eat meals, letting your house turn into a dump, going grey haired at 30, and having ur first BP visit to the doctor at 28,  you are the loser. Tomorrow if he decides he doesnt give a damn he will let u go. Yaaruku prayojanam (What use is all of it is)"

I never gave up cooking two full meals a day no matter what the earth shattering emergency was/is

I totally respect this thing!!
Balance is dam necessary 
Work is worship but even that has reserved hours in a day...beyond that u must not...u live one life...u must give everything a little time in the day..and nothing in life is less important
Correct me if I am wrong
I'm a begginer in all this..working in a full time job from less than two years 
Had a part time job for three while in coll
I would go home at 10
But my dad would wait until I went home for dinner
Weekends I wouldn't bother myself with work cos I would be with my family 
I miss them now..when on weekends I spend time with cousins or travelling 
I don't think work should buy carried along beyond the office walls 
Then it occupies  your every living second 
when u breath u don't find it fascinating or interesting..when u hold your breath underwater or get choked u know the value of it
If work becomes same as breathing it remains as some task u need to complete..if u do it for the right time it becomes an interesting came you play u perform and enjoy work 
What's the point of achieving a better position when u don't enjoy what u do
For money?? What's the point if the money u don't spend time on spending
For pride and respect? What's the point of the two words if u have nobody to share it with??