TOI:Jaya Bhattacharya: Vasundhara in Thapki is more Human

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 8 years ago
Jaya Bhattacharya who is currently seen as 'Sudha Bua' in 'Gangaa' has bagged yet another pivotal role in recently launched 'Thapki...Pyaar Ki'. Jaya is all set to play 'Vasundhara', mother of the male protagonist in the show. When quizzed about playing two drastically different characters Jaya says, "In Gangaa, I have no make-up, with oil in my hair, I don't have to do much but simply act. In "Thapki", I am playing 'Vasundhara', with elaborate make-up, juda and lots of 'Adaa'. To play 'Vasundhara', I am learning few adaas!!" Jaya believes that 'Vasundhara' is neither negative nor positive character but a very human one. According to her, Vasundhara's behavior totally depends on the situation. On the unusual concept of 'Thapki', Jaya says "If you pity somebody's drawback, it can lead to inferiority complex in that person. In some cases, if that inferiority transforms into superiority complex then it becomes the big issue."

Jaya is all praises for her 'Gangaa' co-star, wonder child Ruhana. Jaya recollects an incident during the shoot when she has to drag Ruhana in sand. "Here I was gently dragging her to avoid hurting and Ruhana says to me, Aap jor se pakdo na, mujhe dard nahi hoga (Hold me tightly it won't hurt me). At that moment, she put me at ease and we did the shot perfectly. She is a natural actor.

The give and take we have during the shoot makes it more challenging." Talking on the topic of kids getting introduced at young age in television Jaya promptly replies, "It always depends on how the parents handle the child. The problem arises when parents want to enjoy stardom through their children. The effortless care taken by Ruahana's parent has kept her innocence intact also the fact that they themselves are very detached from glamour."

Jaya considers herself to be lucky enough to choose roles as per her likings without making any compromises like many other actors. She thinks the stupidity she does in real life is sufficient to replace comedy roles in reel life. The only advice Jaya likes to give the young actors of television, is "Accept your strengths as well as weaknesses. Be open to learning because the moment you stop learning, your growth stops too." During her 3 year sabbatical from television, Jaya with her rakhi brother Siddharth Naagar got into production of TV shows for DD. With her roles in 'Gangaa' and 'Thapki', Jaya has once again back to grueling schedule of non-stop shoots. The actress wants to concentrate on doing significant work for her NGO 'Thank You Earth' which revolves around supporting animals and nature.

Gayatri Kolwankar,TNN | May 27, 2015, 12.00 AM IST