-StoriesByRabindranathTagore- DiscussionThread - Page 5

Posted: 8 years ago
Originally posted by SayaneeH.Lecter

Hey Neerja it's nice to see you love Bengali language and literature so much .. I am a Bengali and definitely love my language and feel proud of Bengali literature .. truly it has gems bestowed by great scholars like Rabindranath Thakur (Tagore), SaratChandra Chattopadhyay, Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhay, Satyajit Ray and many many more .. 

Anurag Basu is really doing a great job with Chokher Bali .. all the creative liberty he has taken is justified to compose the novel and making a audio digital version of it .. till now I didn't find any flaw in his effort and execution 

I can understand the whole concept while watching the movie . Its years now , DD used to show old engali movies in early days so have seen Uttam Kumar ,Suchitra Sen , and many more with great  reputed names . Agree with you Anurag Basu is just going with the story not taking liberties with piece of literature . When any story is told within time frame ,then it keeps the essence .
what IF take Ritu's name with a * ðŸ˜†
Originally posted by SayaneeH.Lecter

I actually didn't like Ash's Binodini much .. she was little rigid however, I blame Ritupo*no more .. his story telling in the film didn't impress me much though some of the scenes were beautiful .. I found Anuraag Basu more sincere towards kabiguru's work and actors are really good .. they are subtle and real all the way 

I could not watch the whole movie ,saw in pieces . Can,t help it as it was Tagore,s work 
I just wish Anuraag Basu does "Seser Kobita" (The last poem/ Farewell Song in English translation) .. that's the best novel by Gurudev .. it's his character Amit Ray who ruined the idea of lover for me forever .. trust me everyone who reads this novel fall for him .. If I could I would request Basu for filming this novel .. this was HIS last writing and here he criticized himself through his own creation.. it's a pure treasure of our literature  Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 8 years ago
Originally posted by Neerjaa

!00 years ago written story is more progressive and women are shown to be dignified and with self respect . I mostly found in Bengali literature that woman character is always shown to be strong , dignified . All actors are doing great job , are subtle not going over the top . Direction is very good . Apte has some resembles to Ash as Binodini , she looked the same specially the eyes . Very beautifully Tagore has potrayed the  emotions of normal person .

[/QUOTE]
Sadly India is moving backwards .. Tagore wrote 100 years ago and we still feel how advanced his thought, philosophy, perspective was but our recent entertainments are so regressive .. they are promoting everything that pushing us back to medieval era
Edited by SayaneeH.Lecter - 8 years ago
Today's female protagonists are portrayed as nothing but mere doormats, as bichaari dukhiyaari ablaa naaris who have got not even an ounce of self-respect. They are forced to endure all the abuses (be it mental, physical or sexual) coming in their way silently. Astonishingly, they fall in love with the same abusive male protagonist. They seldom continue with their studies, even if they are brilliant students and have a great career perspective. Doing a job is a distant dream altogether. They are forced to leave their studies/jobs after marriage to prove that they are adarsh bahus. Some series' even are based on the "fact" that married women should not work. They endure all insults thrown to their family by their in-laws or prospective in-laws silently. I've literally stopped watching these retarded and regressive series'.

This series would actually portray how women have been visualized by Kabiguru around 100-150 years back. And he is not the only one. Almost all the authors from Bengali literature have portrayed extra-ordinarily strong women characters, who have got loads of self-respect and know what they are doing.

Anyways, as I've mentioned in my earlier post that it's so refreshing to find so many original Rabindrasangeets in a hindi series. The songs they have used as I can remember:

1. Phule phule dhole dhole (Ye Banks & Brae - Scottish original by Robert Burns)
2. Amaaro paraano jaaha chai
3. Dnaadiye achho tumi amaar gaaner opaare
4. Amaar ange ange ke baajay baajay baanshi (hindi translation, originally has been taken from the author's nrityanatya "Chitrangada", which depicts the tale of Chitrangada [a manipuri warrior princess] & Arjun, when he had gone for 12 years of penance)
Edited by chandrima02 - 8 years ago
It's lovely reading all your views:) keep them coming.
And I agree on having subtitles for pure Bengali verses.In fact someone on twitter asked them to have it.Doubt if they will do it now.

Binodini to me( being ignorant of the story )seems wicked and revengeful as per the two episodes that aired...she's befooling Ashalata who has no fault in her getti g widowed.But I think I will have to reserve my judgement before the whole thing unfolds because there is definitely more to this.
Originally posted by -Crescendo-

It's lovely reading all your views:) keep them coming.
And I agree on having subtitles for pure Bengali verses.In fact someone on twitter asked them to have it.Doubt if they will do it now.

Binodini to me( being ignorant of the story )seems wicked and revengeful as per the two episodes that aired...she's befooling Ashalata who has no fault in her getti g widowed.But I think I will have to reserve my judgement before the whole thing unfolds because there is definitely more to this.

Binodini character is quite strong what i felt while reading ,she widowed at very young age and was left  beholden to others . First her proposal i think came for Mahender and when she watches Mahendra and  his newly wed wife and listens to their private moments then longings start surfacing in her heart . That is normal reaction for a young girl who got married but was left alone . Binodini is smart , educated and should say  perfect in household chores as Asha is innocent and does  not yet know anything about house chores . Yes She is befooling Asha and  Mahender is attracted to her . One thing i must say Binodini and Asha both are shown to have dignity as well self respect being a woman .  
Brilliant thread guys, Sayanee thank you for letting me know!!
I will try to see the show, Rabindranath Tagore his writings were indeed brilliant, which is an understatement, I have read very few, but few poems I have, cos of the language constraint too, Translations many times dilute the impact/
@Crescendo, that IS THE crux of the story itself. Binodini was educated, well versed in music, an expert in household work, could communicate in english along with playing chess and was almost of Mahendra's age, in a nut shell she was a very worthy bride for him; whereas Ashalata was nothing compared to her. She was uneducated and very young as per the novel. Yet Mahendra refused to marry Binodini and later went on to marry Ashalata, solely enchanted by her beauty. Binodini took that refusal as an insult to her self-respect. Once she had become a widow and had read Mahendra's letters, she became enraged. She started considering Ashalata as her enemy ("Chokher Baali"), who has usurped what rightfully belonged to her. Mahendra's infatuation towards Ashalata's beauty disappeared into thin air in no time, once he understood that Binodini was more of his type. Poor Ashalata has deliberately been made a scapegoat in this whole sequence of events. Edited by chandrima02 - 8 years ago