Software Symphony 21 Plan & Pilfer on 17 - Page 67

shareShare facebook twitter
Posted: 7 years ago
Originally posted by nividances


This was a recent Humans of Bombay post. In the end the girl talks about choice and I think she does a much better job of it than Ms. Padukone managed to do. 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/imaansheikh/from-kamathipura-to-america

"I've grown up in a red light area, surrounded by the flesh trade all my life. At 12, I've been asked for my 'rate' and cried myself to sleep because I didn't understand it. But you want to know what's worse? It's that the men who came to ask would all be from the 'upper class' as you call it with shiny cars and the perception that they could 'buy' anything. But the women there are my family...they've taken care of me when my mother would have to go work at a factory near by and treated with me so much love and kindness, but I still grew up with a very low self esteem because of my dark color. I don't know why you have to be fair to be beautiful...and because I'm dark I've always been called ugly. Once my 12th standard ended, I decided to make a change. I told the people at my Municipal school that I wanted to study, learn English and make something of myself. That's when I went to an organization called Kranti.

I spent the next year, traveling across India conducting workshops on sex education and that's when I realized that not everyone judges me for my background and kind of got my self esteem back. I've always been a day dreamer, so I randomly just said it out loud one day that I want to go America (at that point I didn't even know if it was a continent, city or a country) and through Kranti's efforts I got a full scholarship at Bard College to study Liberal Arts. We crowd sourced the rest of the money for my accomodation and day to day expenses and my life has just turned around...I've been to semester at Sea, I speak fluent English and have amazing entrepreneurial ideas to make a difference to my home...to Kamathipura. 

Yes, open your mind about my home. Accept that people have choices and know that so many women there are in it by choice...because it's their source of livelihood. As Indians, we need to judge less and accept things that are not always in our comfort zone, because my background is not my weakness...I'm me, and no location can define who I am."

I'm a little late to this discussion. Just wanted to say that coincidentally I was reading this article last night n shared it on my FB wall. It's amazing how likeminded this bunch here isEmbarrassed
Posted: 7 years ago
Originally posted by Nisha0604


Ashu

Imagine her dude will say "Nivi this is my batch mate from undergrad"

She will be like "Yeh dahi bhalle ka dona khatam  kar loon pehle unse baad mein milti hoon"


He will go "Nivi this is my Residency team"

"I ate too much paneer pakora kuch thanda kahogey kya, Ma ko main teen baar food tent mein bhej chuki hoon she refuses to go, tum dulhe ho tum kahogey to bhaagte hue laaenge"



ROFL
Posted: 7 years ago
Originally posted by dsgirl


Lasyaaa she's just so adorable..,.one update of her and it makes me smile...and tan as I've said a million times is my favorite character in this story...he's the most nicest character...I love him

And nivi a big congratulations...there can't be anything better than a winter wedding in Delhi :)

Thanks so much! And yes, everyone here seems to understand the Delhi would be perfect...now I just want that future SIL should also understand and agree. Ouch
Posted: 7 years ago
Good night ladies! It's almost midnight. This was much needed fun break for me today. See you tomm ladiesSmile
Posted: 7 years ago
Originally posted by Hsp.canada


Good night ladies! It's almost midnight. This was much needed fun break for me today. See you tomm ladiesSmile

Same here. Good night everyone! Thanks for all the wishes and laughs Big smile 
Posted: 7 years ago
Originally posted by nividances


Originally posted by dsgirl


Lasyaaa she's just so adorable..,.one update of her and it makes me smile...and tan as I've said a million times is my favorite character in this story...he's the most nicest character...I love him

And nivi a big congratulations...there can't be anything better than a winter wedding in Delhi :)

Thanks so much! And yes, everyone here seems to understand the Delhi would be perfect...now I just want that future SIL should also understand and agree. Ouch

Tell her to save that venue for her own weddingLOLLOL
Posted: 7 years ago
Originally posted by dristi64


Originally posted by nividances


This was a recent Humans of Bombay post. In the end the girl talks about choice and I think she does a much better job of it than Ms. Padukone managed to do. 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/imaansheikh/from-kamathipura-to-america

"I've grown up in a red light area, surrounded by the flesh trade all my life. At 12, I've been asked for my 'rate' and cried myself to sleep because I didn't understand it. But you want to know what's worse? It's that the men who came to ask would all be from the 'upper class' as you call it with shiny cars and the perception that they could 'buy' anything. But the women there are my family...they've taken care of me when my mother would have to go work at a factory near by and treated with me so much love and kindness, but I still grew up with a very low self esteem because of my dark color. I don't know why you have to be fair to be beautiful...and because I'm dark I've always been called ugly. Once my 12th standard ended, I decided to make a change. I told the people at my Municipal school that I wanted to study, learn English and make something of myself. That's when I went to an organization called Kranti.

I spent the next year, traveling across India conducting workshops on sex education and that's when I realized that not everyone judges me for my background and kind of got my self esteem back. I've always been a day dreamer, so I randomly just said it out loud one day that I want to go America (at that point I didn't even know if it was a continent, city or a country) and through Kranti's efforts I got a full scholarship at Bard College to study Liberal Arts. We crowd sourced the rest of the money for my accomodation and day to day expenses and my life has just turned around...I've been to semester at Sea, I speak fluent English and have amazing entrepreneurial ideas to make a difference to my home...to Kamathipura. 

Yes, open your mind about my home. Accept that people have choices and know that so many women there are in it by choice...because it's their source of livelihood. As Indians, we need to judge less and accept things that are not always in our comfort zone, because my background is not my weakness...I'm me, and no location can define who I am."

I'm a little late to this discussion. Just wanted to say that coincidentally I was reading this article last night n shared it on my FB wall. It's amazing how likeminded this bunch here isEmbarrassed

@bold: Yes, it's quite astounding. Smile
Posted: 7 years ago
My wishlist
RB ka birthday isis hafte mein aaye Big smile

Ranjan "IGNORE RB" mode pe rahe thode din...and collective family reactions Approve

Laasya phoonk/ulti maare seedha  ROBBER ke dress pe AGM ke din and collective family reactions  ROFL


Related Topics

No Related topics found

Topic Info

52 Participants 1215 Replies 108706Views

Topic started by Nisha0604

Last replied by SAKIVIAM

loader
loader
up-open TOP