Ram says - I wanted to be an actor, not a star"

LovingRaYa thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

MAN OF REALITY

Saturday, 21 March 2015 | Karan Bhardwaj

Ram Kapoor has quit smoking and is trying to follow healthy habits. He chats with Karan Bhardwaj about his latest show Dil Ki Baatein Dil Hi Jaane, on being a sensitive person and why he doesn't want to be a star

In an age of gods with six pack abs on television, Ram Kapoor's success and huge female fan following comes as a surprise. He may not have those perfect looks and sculpted physique but beating him at his craft is almost impossible. Kapoor was one of the most beloved characters for three years in Sony's Bade Achhe Lagte Hain. Weight issues do not bother him and he is "okay being like this." He says that he is only interested in some good work and is away from the glamour of this business. "I wanted to be an actor, not a star," he says.

Meeting him is a revelation. He is as lively and charming as he appears on screen. His knack of superimposing his own persona with television characters is impressive. In promos of his next serial, Dil Ki Baatein Dil Hi Jaane, Kapoor comes across as a super-sensitive husband. He breaks down, fights with God and pleads to save his dying wife, played by Gurdeep Kohli. In reality, he is no different. "I don't hold my emotions. I cry, scream, laugh and always stay natural. I do not live in duality," he says.

The Sony show revolves around a father who takes care of his daughter after the death of his wife. Seeing the promos, one wonders about the emotional outbursts of the actor. "I've grown extremely close to the show. I have never done such special promos for any of the past shows. But this is special. There's so much of pain because I see my own wife and family in that circumstance, not my screen family. I see that Gautami is lying there and is unwell. So it all comes naturally. There are many families which are going through this situation. Cancer is a big reality today. The show will bring forth the pain, courage of people, their families and how they face it. Sometimes, we arrive at a situation where we have to put our personal anguish and love at backburner to honour what the other person wants," he shares.

Reminiscing about his early years before he stepped into the world of acting he said, "I was very notorious till ninth standard. I used to play squash. Aamir Raza Hussain cast me in one of his plays. I spent three months with him and got influenced. He only instilled that thought of acting in me. Then I continued with theatre and travelled in different cities. My first salary was Rs1,500 per day for Nyaya. I used to be very desi so I handed over my first salary to my mother."

From his theatre days to television and movies, Kapoor has stood the test of time successfully for over a decade. He is satisfied with his career but wants to get healthier for his family. He has also quit smoking. "I used to be a chain smoker but I quit it last year. Now I'm addicted to coffee which I'm going to control soon. I'm gradually trying to be healthier because it's not a good idea to be like this. I'm no longer a teenager and it might have some adverse effects. But getting healthy is a gradual process," he says.

In movies, he has got decent recognition, with supportive but important characters, in big banner projects. He says he intends to challenge his ability as an artiste and doesn't bother about what his fans or others would perceive of him. "I don't want to sound arrogant but I don't care about what others think of me. If I start wondering how the audience is going to react, I won't be able to push the envelope. I will stay in the safe zone. I have to continue to grow as an actor. People will always love you or hate you but you know where you are moving. After Bade Achhe..., I got so many similar scripts from different channels. But I rejected all. After a point, the audience would only question you and your work. So I am not scared of taking risks," he says.

Dil Ki Baatein Dil Hi Jaaneis inspired by Mahesh Bhatt's Daddy and also sources its emotional chord from Bhatt's personal diary where he faced a similar loss. "Even I lost someone dear to the deadly disease. It is inspired from a phase of my life in 2007 when I lost my friend and guide, UG Krishnamurti. I lived eight days in a resort with Krishnamurti facing the similar situation as that of Ram's character," ends Bhatt.

Source -  http://www.dailypioneer.com/vivacity/man-of-reality.html

Edited by aanchaltulshan - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LovingRaYa thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
most welcome