There is a new show on a new channel called Dharmakshetra.
Concept - The main players of Kurukshetra are called to Chitragupta's court and all the characters throw accusations. Chitragupta gives verdict at the end and decides whether they are going to be allowed into heaven
Episode 1, Panchali - couldn't find anything to blame her for, so he judged her ambitious and wanting to be the instrument of revenge for Drupad. Awesome GoLi chemistry and Keshav defended her tooth and nail even against Bua Kunti. She had darned good answers for Karna
2nd defendant, Shakuni - I found his answers reasonable, as in, his dice were his weapons, but Justice Gupta parceled him off to Hell
3rd defendant, Dury - I like EDury. EKaDu have good chemistry too. Their banter was FUN. He had his name changed from Suyo to Dury for punishment
4th, Drona - Nauseating obsequiousness from Eklavya and Abhi (I don't subscribe to the Matha, Pitha, Guro Deva philosophy any longer, may be that's why it sickened me). Basically they absolved him of all sins he committed.
5th, Arjun - a lot of nonsense involving Mayasur and they didn't even bring up the important ones like KP and Eklavya. BUT THE ENDING WAS A ZINGER! After he got absolved of his sins , Keshav got up and said Mere aur Panchali ke bhi kuch aarop hain. Then he proceeded to accuse Arjun of ignoring her. Which was strange, because he could have been accused of consenting to the division or of not looking back when she fell or of not thinking the assault on her was important enough to wage war for. The verdict was LEGEN, wait for it, DARY. Mr Gupta divorced ArDi and when Arjun asked Draupadi for a second chance she said, 'I am not a young princess to be impressed by an archer any more'
6th, Kunti- Accusations from Karna took up the bulk. Somehow she got absolved of all of it. Then after the verdict was done (she would be called mother of 5, not of 6 which she countered by saying the world will know she loved Karna) Panchali and Arjun accused her of maneuvering to have her divided. Dharma Raj offered to accept blame, but Patni was having none of it and held forth unchecked. Then it ended when Kunti said I am a mother and I did what was best for my sons
7th, Bheem - apart from the usual cruelty to Kauravas, the entire two episodes was taken up by PDA between BheemDi. The tender eyelocks, the touches, the hugs, the kisses. OK, I made the last one up. But I suspect Moumi to be part of the CV team for DK. The verdict was that Bheem wouldn't be known as the hero but as a killer. Which he counters by saying, I kid you not, , the world will know him as someone who knew how to love
And how could I have forgotten the Bheem-Dury exhibition match!. I skipped through that part, so I don't know who won. Justice Gupta seems to be a sports fan. I wonder if he will have KaJu do an archery match as well.
8th, Ashwi who was basically beaten up by everyone. The funny part about Ashwi episode was that Dury accused him on Panchali's behalf. . He actually asked Bhabhishree Panchali's permission to do so. And Arjun got jealous . It was darned funny. Justice Gupta of course told him he can continue his wanderings but Keshav showed him some kindness and told him when he feels Ashwi has suffered enough he will make certain Ashwi gets into heaven
9th, Bheeshma- more obsequiousness, and this time from Panchali who absolved him of his sin of not stopping the VH. But, she did get a zinger in at Dharma Raj by calling him a weak prince. Keshav made a speech saying he consolidated power in his own hands under the guise of giving it up. Bheeshma says Thank you, because now you have shown me who will actually support me and who wont. Because the Kauravas of course agreed with that assesment. I thought it was a rather good way of bringing up the truth about Bheeshma without causing protest rallies . But the best part was Amba. BheeMba had awesome chemistry. And Justice Gupta got them MARRIED!
And btw, Amba used the sacred 'N' word on Devavrat
10th, Gandhari - It was a foolish vow to take and even more foolish and very passive aggressive to hang on to the idea when she saw her sons were going down the wrong path. I know there are some who blame Kunti for hanging onto the blind couple but she did function as a glorified maid to them along with Vidur. I disagree with the 3rd one. Right or wrong, those were her sons. The curse came from her heart. I don't think she should have EVEN BEEN BLAMED for that. I think the show did a good thing though bringing it up. But Keshav said she has had enough punishment in her life and her only punishment from Justice Gupta was to tell her she would be an example of how not be a parent.
Then came the important part of the episode. THE ArDi HUG (poor Gandhari).
Next up - Dhrisht. I like Hawt Bro. I understand that the CiC has the responsibility for all the stuff pulled in the war. But I sincerely hope they don't find him guilty. Dhrisht is not someone we pay much attention to, but if Krishna had strategies, he implemented them. He is to be credited for that and not blamed. Besides if Bheem can blame Dhrisht for adharm in strategy, will he do the same with Keshav
3) Gambler's impulses are strong, so we don't need to keep beating him
on the head for that. But I do blame him for not asking his brothers to
react to the attempted disrobing. Dharma is worth NOTHING as it is
written on the books. It is like a currency note. The only value that it
has is based on what it can buy. Otherwise it is just paper. So, if his
book dharma couldn't protect the helpless, then it was worth nothing.
And he did it deliberately. But again I am willing to buy that it was
ignorance and weakness.
You know what I blame him for? For NEVER EVER saying he is at fault.
During that convo with Panchali and Bheem in Vana Parva, he says it is
because of him, but he NEVER says I WAS WRONG to gamble, to not stop the
assault etc etc. And to top it all, he insinuates that Panchali was
talking like an atheist, which in those days carried the penalty of
death, if I am not mistaken
So, if we are done being facetious, I would accuse him of 1, 2 and 6
These are the 2 things which bother me the most, first one topping my list.
Am a Panchali fan first and foremost and I will say this very clearly. In the whole epic if there is any one character (that includes Krishna) who did not pull any shenanigans for personal benefit it is only Panchali. She who forgave Jaydrath and was not trying vansh naash on Keechak when he attempted more than Dushy, was not out for personal revenge in KK war. If she is not the storehouse of greatness, there is no one else in the epic who is great.
Urmila / Varaali
We don't need to make a big list of trumped up charges
1) The Nishada woman and her sons
2) Division of Panchali. He argued for it. There is no question on that
3) Gambler's impulses are strong, so we don't need to keep beating him on the head for that. But I do blame him for not asking his brothers to react to the attempted disrobing. Dharma is worth NOTHING as it is written on the books. It is like a currency note. The only value that it has is based on what it can buy. Otherwise it is just paper. So, if his book dharma couldn't protect the helpless, then it was worth nothing. And he did it deliberately. But again I am willing to buy that it was ignorance and weakness.
4) I dont blame him for Jaydrath and am even willing to buy your theory of Keechak
5) And I don't know what Amrita means by blaming him for Shalya demoralizing Karna. I don't even blame him for Abhi. One of the duties as a ruler is that sometimes you have to send people to their deaths for the greater good (that does not include the Nishada family since that was for personal benefit) and as far as he knew Karna was one of his greatest enemies. I ADMIRE him for these two things. In fact, the only credit I would ever give Yudhi is that before and after the war he may have wailed and wept, but during the war, he kept his eyes on the goal.
6) You know what I blame him for? For NEVER EVER saying he is at fault. During that convo with Panchali and Bheem in Vana Parva, he says it is because of him, but he NEVER says I WAS WRONG to gamble, to not stop the assault etc etc. And to top it all, he insinuates that Panchali was talking like an atheist, which in those days carried the penalty of death, if I am not mistaken
So, if we are done being facetious, I would accuse him of 1, 2 and 6