Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TanjoreGirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
guess oonjal update is getting ready..I love this in the iyer wedding.
Ashu25 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Happy holi ladies πŸ˜†
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Transfer of power

The priests chanted asked her to join her fingertips of her right hand together, she did even though it shook,He asked R&B to hold it with his right in a firm grip
And the dude confidently reached and held II's hand, she tugged gently testing the grip as she always did, and he held tighter as he always did.

The crowded applauded and squealed Mamis coralled them and pushed towards the swing, II
now dressed in a mustard saree with a red zari border, she looked as close to a Goddess as you can imagine. They both had multiple garlands on from the garland toss event
Appa watched in daze as she walked with him towards the swing, II's gaze lowered like the shy bride, Sam and Manny stood on the side watching mesmerized the Punjabi relatives and high society
friends taking as many pictures as they could the battery of cameras and videographers and Page 3 journos having a field day shooting the tall Punjabi marry the slender Iyer

Aunties, paattis and Mamis began singing oonjal songs, the couple will be seated here foa while as family will sing to them all Radha Krishna songs, the Mamis will circle them with pans containing turmeric rice and vermilion rice
II's Amma will walk around with a thaali/bowl containing a lit oil/wick lamp, covered with her pallu. Invoking the dieties praying for the lamp to be lit for ever

Bala's Mom walked up to R&B: We sing during this event, but you married our best singer.
Vandu translated for him, II blushed a glorious crimson,
As Amma's Bhajan mandli women went one after the other, Bala Mami, Jayanthi Mami, Ramya Mami and Pattu Paatti...
the women, in their 50s were able to speak to R&B and Sam and Manny in English or Hindi the paattis though let Vandu translate for them
The oldest of married women washed the couple's feet with milk and honey, wiping it with their own saree ends...
believing that at this time they were Lord Krishna and Radha themselves, and Hindu traditions convince us that
the opportunity to be able to VIEW a wedding in itself is like being able to witness the Gods being married.

Blessed are those that get invited to weddings they say...
Women fed the couple, bananas soaked in milk and crystal sugar from a silver bowl with a silver spoon, placing the mixture in the center of their palm

People watched with voyeuristic curiosity about how the couple ate the offering, someone usually offered a towel or a
handkerchief, people held their breath to watch who offered the towel to who first
The dude let the swing rock back and forth wider than usual Shravu, Nandu, Great Aunt's grandkids took turns sitting on the sides

Shravu quizzed R&B about "animal weddings" he patiently answered it all albeit amused, Vandu looked on proudly "Her son was the groom's best friend".
I mean only every 9 year old's Iyer Mom's dream at a wedding.

Nandu wanted to know HOW II's green worms transformed into red ones all over her arms,
 he asked her if it was blood he obviously being too young to remember Manny's wedding.

Shravu convinced him from his seat near R&B on the other edge of the swing "Its all part of some pagan ritual, a vague unmentionable religion Chithi practices"
Getting a chuckle out of R&B.

Amma noticed how II was very aware of R&B but did not say a word to him, she pulled Akka on the side to ask "Why are they not talking? like today's youngsters?
Many chatter so much the photographer have to ask them to shut up and pose"

Vandu smiled knowingly "Onnoda vaal edavadu veshamam pannirkum avan kochindu iruppaan ille avan mela idukku edavadu kovama irukkum dont worry these two are inseperable Ma"
(She must have been naughty he must have scolded her, or she must be mad at him for something she thought he did or didnt do, theyll sort it out)

The handkerchief was passed tho FROM HER TO HIM... YESSS... FROM HER TO HIM Ahem!!

Amma invited someone from Bhallas to sing, the Great Aunt sang a traditional Punjabi prayer, Sam and Chachi, and her older daughter in laws did the rituals that Amma instructed them to do

The vadyar/priest said it was time to go in, in between the deafening beats of nadaswaram and women singing and people talking, the couple were led in... and seated side by side on the wooden planks for the first time during the ecermony

The holy fire was lit with II pouring the first spoon of clarified butter, and R&B placing a mango leaf bearing a lit camphor cube big and tall
some priests already seated around it half way through their chants invoking the Gods for a long happy married life

On the side in a large silver tray, was II's red 9 yards saree in the "store box" with  a thick yellow turmeric dipped cord bearing the Iyer wedding pendant,
two curved arches shaped like the lteer M.. a gold container filled with the sindoor Amma wanted (the container came from the Bhallas)
Ranjan sat by his son, Appa sat by his daughter, the chanting became louder, the priest placed a tray in between the couple, asked R&B to extend his hand, asked II to
place her hand in her Appa's and he placed a turmeric soaked coconut and holy rice and rose petals on it, amidst chanting, the priest poured
spoons of water on the  yellow coconut and Appa handed his kozhandai ceremonially over to the man that had taken away his peace and happiness for the last month.
He was so choked up he couldnt say the last few lines of the mantras... II felt tears flow too... unimagineable a few months ago, when she went to work normally discussed politics with him routinely on Saturday mornings
She was now seated by Raman Bhalla in a hall packed with no elbow room, filled with from the wealthiest in Delhi to the most traditional and ritualistic from Madurai and Tanjore.
People from news media and people from business and industry Appa never had the fortune to meet in his career of over 35 years in Delhi
They were all gathered there to witness Raman take Ishita's hand in marriage.

The tall lanky dude, repeated every Sanskrit word with full gusto, impressing a couple priests,
 he got a rare smile out of them... he didnt falter or stumble or appear nervous
he took II's open hand bearing the coconut flowers and holy rice in a sturdy grip...
his unsually long fingers folding over hers in a tight grip, as the priest culminated the "hand over" with more spoons of holy water over the clutch

Ranjan's eyes filled with tears Sam enquired he told her "Its the smoke from the fire betaji" he lied

He wished Savvy was here, if he could bring her back for this moment, he would be willing to trade his life for hers
But we dont get such choices in life, we cannot turn back time.

II sat speechless at the turn of events... from now, she was R&B's
In many ways they say its the most precious gift to have a girl child, to raise her with love and
care and and treasure her like she was your own heartbeat yet hand the priceless treasure over to another man,trusting him to care
for her as you have. It takes tremendous courage and great will power. The parents of every girl child make that supreme sacrifice.πŸ‘πŸ‘

Sam whispered, "hey dont hold her hand too tight, usko dard hoga"

In her II will always have a Vandita

In Ranjan she will always have a Appa

Amma joked again with R&B " it was basically a transfer of power
U can be strict with her if she doesnt practice singing or workd too late at the office, the mantras basically gave you permission"
she explained to him... like he was a foriegner. He sensed a warmth in that lesson
He looked up at Amma, she stood behind Appa in a gorgeous silk magenta 9 yards, wearing a nose ring similar to II's her hair ina careless moist tousled knot, a string of flowers pinned carelessly to it
Her kohl had dissolved with tears...
in that image he found a visual of his Ma...

~~~~~~~~

Coming up...
The Software Symphony Wedding

Edited by Nisha0604 - 9 years ago
swaram thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: ashu9

Happy holi ladiesπŸ˜†

Happy Holi ashu! How was the celebration? Itna bhi kya khel rahi thi ki idhar haziri bhi nahin di. πŸ˜ƒ
Ashu25 thumbnail
Originally posted by: swaram

Happy Holi ashu! How was the celebration? Itna bhi kya khel rahi thi ki idhar haziri bhi nahin di. πŸ˜ƒ

Main nahi khelti re πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­
I was studying kal and watched the match aaj subah se πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
i had to push myself to study...I achieved it more so πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Slept off early and today toh was hell only...guests and all and they wont go ...We had to push them out literally πŸ˜†πŸ˜†...
They went off to the verandah and I was blissfully watching the match πŸ˜ƒ
Ashu25 thumbnail
This updates brings so much emotion ...tears welled up again...The whole Kanyadanam was sooo heartwarming!!!
Dude spoke Sanskrit, left the priests baffled πŸ˜†
Aur kitno ko impress karega banda yaar...Silent hai par bahut chalak hai yeh lambu πŸ˜³
swaram thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Nisha, there you do it again. I had a big lump in my throat by the end of this update. You bring out emotions so beautifully.will write more, pehle sambhal jaaoon.Edited by swaram - 9 years ago
swathi1990 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Very touching update Nish !!
Her giving a kerchief to him... kind of came out very naturally...a progress for them..
He seeing ma in Amma...Sam being a vanditha for II...wah ... u just brought out a beautiful family emotional scene..Wat the parents would go through when their girl is getting married..I have always noticed that...

But the feminist in me doesn't like or accept the title πŸ˜­ It is not power somehow that sounds wrong  but I dont know the right word as well...
sosy_fan thumbnail
Nisha what an emotional update. 
I feel kanyadaan is when it all sinks in that you are finally going from your parents house. 
You have again captured the gamut of emotions so very well. All a girl looks for is to find her parents and siblings on the in laws side and II found her Appa and Vandita
deernav thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
And he found Maa..lovely Nisha

Guys enjoy the last few hours of R & Bs bachelorhood as he will be married to II in a few..we cant eye him anymore..πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

PS: Ashu will kill me for this