Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Anandneelakant thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Hi, Anand Sir

Welcome to the Mahabharat forum

I have 2 questions about both your books - essentially, some premises regarding them.  Namely
  • Ajaya: Your book seeks to explore the rationale behind what the Kauravas did.  But do you have an issue w/ the 2 state solution - Hastinapur & Khandavprastha - which gave a kingdom to both Suyodhan & Yudisthir?  I believe the reason that history judges  the Pandavas as being better is that Suyodhan wanted both Hastinapur & Indraprastha for himself, and hang the Pandavas out to dry.  Both Yudisthir & Suyodhan were good rulers,  but the idea of co-existence was alien to Suyodhan.  And the division was not a sleight to Suyodhan either: throughout the history of the Puru dynasty, there had been forking of the dynasty - notable examples being Yayati and Pururava. (BRC's serial made it a big deal, but it wasn't)
The issue is not about sharing. Suyodhana was ready to share his kingdom with a stark outsider like Karna or even Aswathamma. The problem is what Yudhistra did with Khandivaprastha. Mahabharata says they built the city by exterminating thousands of Nagas and any thing that breathes, runs, swims or flies. Then they burnt down the forest to build an exclusive city with a palace that could shame gods. Then the ruler promptly went and gambled not only the city, but his wife and brothers. Why should a Kuru prince share his inheritance with such a man who has no Kuru blood strictly speaking. The other justifications usually given looks very contrived, if we take out the mask of divinity and holiness associated with Pandavas

• Asura: do you classify Ravan as an asura?  IIRC, asuras & rakshashas were different: the former were descendants of Diti and the latter of Dana (thereby also known as danavs).  Yeah, Shurpanakha was married to an asura, who Ravan killed during his conquest of Pataal.
Ravana has always been called as RAVANASURA in many south Indian retelling. Asura is the one who is not Sura. My retelling is based on many folk versions. 

Anandneelakant thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Hi, Anand Sir

Welcome to the Mahabharat forum

I have 2 questions about both your books - essentially, some premises regarding them.  Namely
  • Ajaya: Your book seeks to explore the rationale behind what the Kauravas did.  But do you have an issue w/ the 2 state solution - Hastinapur & Khandavprastha - which gave a kingdom to bothSuyodhan & Yudisthir?  I believe the reason that history judges  the Pandavas as being better is that Suyodhan wantedboth Hastinapur & Indraprastha for himself, and hang the Pandavas out to dry.  Both Yudisthir & Suyodhan were good rulers,  but the idea of co-existence was alien to Suyodhan.  And the division was not a sleight to Suyodhan either: throughout the history of the Puru dynasty, there had been forking of the dynasty - notable examples being Yayati and Pururava. (BRC's serial made it a big deal, but it wasn't)
The issue is not about sharing. Suyodhana was ready to share his kingdom with a stark outsider like Karna or even Aswathamma. The problem is what Yudhistra did with Khandivaprastha. Mahabharata says they built the city by exterminating thousands of Nagas and any thing that breathes, runs, swims or flies. Then they burnt down the forest to build an exclusive city with a palace that could shame gods. Then the ruler promptly went and gambled not only the city, but his wife and brothers. Why should a Kuru prince share his inheritance with such a man who has no Kuru blood strictly speaking. The other justifications usually given looks very contrived, if we take out the mask of divinity and holiness associated with Pandavas

• Asura: do you classify Ravan as an asura?  IIRC, asuras & rakshashas were different: the former were descendants of Diti and the latter of Dana (thereby also known as danavs).  Yeah, Shurpanakha was married to an asura, who Ravan killed during his conquest of Pataal.
Ravana has always been called as RAVANASURA in many south Indian retelling. Asura is the one who is not Sura. My retelling is based on many folk versions. 

Anandneelakant thumbnail
Originally posted by: Sabhayata

Sir
Thanks for taking out time and chatting with us.My questions are

1)In Ajaya from what i have read Pandavs seem to believe in a hierarchical system i.e since they were princes of kuru dynasty their status in society was higher and they deserved more or they had more rights or that their lives meant more than the lives of people who were lower than them in status but Suyodhan believed in the opposite

I can somewhat agree with this interpretation as there are examples of the same in text like Bhima insulting Karna during the contest organized for Kuru princes by Drona,Arjuna's involvement in Eklavya's incident,Panadavs involvement in burning of Nishada's at lakshagarah,Arjuna's involvement in Khandavprasath incident

So from these i can interpret as you have about Pandavas but my question is  was Suyodhan any different .I mean his friendship with Karna can be quoted as an example but as per me that did start with a selfish purpose i.e to have some one as strong as Arjuna on his side and not necessarily to prove that he believed  that even as Suta Karna deserved all rights of a kshatariya as Karna was a good warrior.So my question is can we really say that Suyodhan was any better are there any other examples of the same  except for his friendship with Karna?Also in Ajaya even Krishna ji seems to share pandavas beliefs  of hierarchical system and hence is against Suyodhan?Is there any example of the same that even Krishna ji believed in hierarchical system?

When Suyodhana supported Karna, Karna was an unproven warrior.  He had suddenly burst into the scene and was not even allowed to match his skills. Suyodhana took a bold decision in supporting an underdog, not bothering whether he was Kshatriya or not. His speech at the coronation of Karna looks almost modern

He asks, do we ask the source of the rivers? Can we ask the lineage of brave men?

Imagine this- A prince is standing up for a commoner when the entire society is crushing him. The warrior is unproven. Suyodhana does not even know his name or how he can match Arjuna. 

Then there are folk tales which I have narrated in my book, where Suyodhana once again stand up for the downtrodden. There is  a temple in Kerala that celebrates this incident.

Compare this with Pandavas. 

Whether Krishna believed in hierarchical system is something that depends on how you interpret Chaturvarnam Maya Srishtam and the rest of Gita

2)Ajaya is based on inversion theory i.e villains were actually the heroes and heroes were actually the villains and the side that won wrote their side of the story

But some how i find it hard to believe this inversion theory .As after reading the translation of the epic that we do have today i dont really see Kauravs being portrayed as villians and pandavs as complete heroes.if that were the case wouldn't the fact that Pandavs cheated to kill some major kaurava warriors be removed as well?Wouldnt Pandvas involvement in Nishada burning be removed as well?Wouldnt any citation that indicated Suyodhan was a good king be removed as well?

My point is if we go by the theory that victor's write their own history and hence their own story and wouldn't victor's remove any thing wrong or bad about them.The fact that even the flaws of pandavs are there in the epic that we have today makes it hard for me to believe in the inversion theory.Wanted to know your views on the same?

Mahabharata, how it was written by Vyasa and how it was later used as a propaganda by religious authorities are two different things. Mahabharata is a neutral epic. It just tells a story. Krishna is just another prince, before he became a God in later interpretations.

Since the story was already popular, the people who told the story could only work around events and give their own logic for inconsistencies in act of Pandavas. For example, Pandavas use dubious methods to defeat Kauravas. The explanation given is that anything is okay for Dharma- end justifies means, or all these elders were silent when Panchali was shamed, hence they deserve to die.  All the crimes of Pandavas are whitewashed. 

So, my book does not go by inversion theory. It is just taking out contrived explanations given to glorify Pandavas. Most of the events are same, only view point differs.

And Mahabharata is story of Karma. Every one pays for his or her Karma. It is a zero sum world.

Kunti who kills the 6 Nishadas in a fire, dies by a fire. Dhritarashtra and Gandhari who kept mum when Kunti killed them or perhaps plotted for Kunti's death, are also killed by the fire.

Krishna who did not or could not prevent the cousins from fighting saw his own clan fighting to death

Pandavas did not win the war, for they too lost their sons and there was nothing left to rule. They died a lonely death in bleak heights of Himalayas. You can glorify calling it Moksha.

Anandneelakant thumbnail
[QUOTE=Sabhayata]Sir
Thanks for taking out time and chatting with us.My questions are

1)In Ajaya from what i have read Pandavs seem to believe in a hierarchical system i.e since they were princes of kuru dynasty their status in society was higher and they deserved more or they had more rights or that their lives meant more than the lives of people who were lower than them in status but Suyodhan believed in the opposite 

I can somewhat agree with this interpretation as there are examples of the same in text like Bhima insulting Karna during the contest organized for Kuru princes by Drona,Arjuna's involvement in Eklavya's incident,Panadavs involvement in burning of Nishada's at lakshagarah,Arjuna's involvement in Khandavprasath incident

So from these i can interpret as you have about Pandavas but my question is  was Suyodhan any different .I mean his friendship with Karna can be quoted as an example but as per me that did start with a selfish purpose i.e to have some one as strong as Arjuna on his side and not necessarily to prove that he believed  that even as Suta Karna deserved all rights of a kshatariya as Karna was a good warrior.So my question is can we really say that Suyodhan was any better are there any other examples of the same  except for his friendship with Karna?Also in Ajaya even Krishna ji seems to share pandavas beliefs  of hierarchical system and hence is against Suyodhan?Is there any example of the same that even Krishna ji believed in hierarchical system?

When Suyodhana supported Karna, Karna was an unproven warrior.  He had suddenly burst into the scene and was not even allowed to match his skills. Suyodhana took a bold decision in supporting an underdog, not bothering whether he was Kshatriya or not. His speech at the coronation of Karna looks almost modern

He asks, do we ask the source of the rivers? Can we ask the lineage of brave men?

Imagine this- A prince is standing up for a commoner when the entire society is crushing him. The warrior is unproven. Suyodhana does not even know his name or how he can match Arjuna. 

Then there are folk tales which I have narrated in my book, where Suyodhana once again stand up for the downtrodden. There is  a temple in Kerala that celebrates this incident.

Compare this with Pandavas. 

Whether Krishna believed in hierarchical system is something that depends on how you interpret Chaturvarnam Maya Srishtam and the rest of Gita

2)Ajaya is based on inversion theory i.e villains were actually the heroes and heroes were actually the villains and the side that won wrote their side of the story

But some how i find it hard to believe this inversion theory .As after reading the translation of the epic that we do have today i dont really see Kauravs being portrayed as villians and pandavs as complete heroes.if that were the case wouldn't the fact that Pandavs cheated to kill some major kaurava warriors be removed as well?Wouldnt Pandvas involvement in Nishada burning be removed as well?Wouldnt any citation that indicated Suyodhan was a good king be removed as well?

My point is if we go by the theory that victor's write their own history and hence their own story and wouldn't victor's remove any thing wrong or bad about them.The fact that even the flaws of pandavs are there in the epic that we have today makes it hard for me to believe in the inversion theory.Wanted to know your views on the same?

Mahabharata, how it was written by Vyasa and how it was later used as a propaganda by religious authorities are two different things. Mahabharata is a neutral epic. It just tells a story. Krishna is just another prince, before he became a God in later interpretations.

Since the story was already popular, the people who told the story could only work around events and give their own logic for inconsistencies in act of Pandavas. For example, Pandavas use dubious methods to defeat Kauravas. The explanation given is that anything is okay for Dharma- end justifies means, or all these elders were silent when Panchali was shamed, hence they deserve to die.  All the crimes of Pandavas are whitewashed. 

So, my book does not go by inversion theory. It is just taking out contrived explanations given to glorify Pandavas. Most of the events are same, only view point differs.

And Mahabharata is story of Karma. Every one pays for his or her Karma. It is a zero sum world.

Kunti who kills the 6 Nishadas in a fire, dies by a fire. Dhritarashtra and Gandhari who kept mum when Kunti killed them or perhaps plotted for Kunti's death, are also killed by the fire.

Krishna who did not or could not prevent the cousins from fighting saw his own clan fighting to death

Pandavas did not win the war, for they too lost their sons and there was nothing left to rule. They died a lonely death in bleak heights of Himalayas. You can glorify it by calling it Moksha.

AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thank you for taking the time out to answer our questions.
I did know that Shalwa attacked Dwarka at the same time. What I am asking is, was it a planned distraction for Krishna so that the dice game may not be interrupted by him? Or a coincidence?

Also wanted to let you know, I have a little bit of objection to Panchali as so one dimensional. From what I can understand, she was as involved in running IP as her Patis. But she comes across as a Karna obsessed (again don't understand how from their one exceedingly unpleasant encounter) and easily manipulated by Krishna. Actually I have thought it was the other way around most of the time. I don't mind reading a Panchali as villain story. But would rather see her as a proper villain with a mind of her own😆

Also Kavach-Kundal. Have had some recent chats in which I was told these were later interpolations. True? If so, for what reason do you think?
Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago
TheWatcher thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Okay here are my questions.

1.)  Was Karna the rightful ruler of the throne as Krishna said.?

2.)  Did Karna betray Duryodhana by not killing the 4 Pandavas when he had the chance?. I mean wasn't Karna his only true support in the war ( He never did trust Bhishma and Drona )
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Anandneelakant

sir thanks for taking out time and answering our questions

pardon my lack of knowledge but what does Chaturvarnam Maya Srishtam  mean?I am not aware of the same

Also since you mentioned Gita i would also like know how this will be handled in your second book?Because in this case Gita is being narrated by some one who isnt a hero?

Also curious as to what Rise of Kali refers to?Is it like rise of Kal yug or rise of Kali as in the goddess indicating the wrathful side of a woman may be referring to Panchali

Edited by Sabhayata - 9 years ago
DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
My questions:

1) What is your view regarding Yudhishthir's kindness to Duryodhan? Will you ever show the incident where Duryodhan & Co went to watch Pandavas in their poor condition but finally caught by gandharvas & became freed by Yudhishthir's mercy? Or will you skip the same to show Yudhishthir as a villain? Also I would like to know whether your Yudhi will give Duryodhan the kind offer of choosing any weapon & any opponent at last battle or not. If you want to skip those just for showing Yudhi as an evil, then will it be fair to epic Yudhi's character? I mean, if we see only flaws of a certain character & completely ignore his/her good sides then will it not look like a biased view?

2) Will you show the Yaksha prashna part? If not, then why? And there is a philosophical conversation between King Nahusha & Yudhi in Van Parva which proves that Yudhi did not believe that caste is based on birth, rather he is probably the first person to speak that only presence of 7 gunas make a person Brahmin & not otherwise. He then clearly tells Nahusha that even if a Shudra has those virtues then he should be treated as a Brahmin. So what is your take regarding this part? Does it not prove Yudhi as a liberal person? Also, will you ever show this Yudhi-Nahusha conversation in your book?
Sabhayata thumbnail
Sir
In addition to Watcher's questions

Karna had promised Kunti not to kill any of her other sons' except for Arjuna but in that case he could have at least imprisoned Yudi as Drona had planned?

He had defeated Yudi on two occasions atleast and Karna did spare him because of Kunti but he could have also imprisoned Yudi and turned the tide of war in their favour but he didnt even do that?What's your opinion on this?It seems like he actually wanted pandavs to win

Also how will this be handled in Ajaya?Since Suyodhan is the hero here and Karna will be betraying the main hero.
CaptainSpark thumbnail
Hello Sir. Hope you are having a good time.

1. What is your personal opinion? Do you really feel Duryodhan was correct, and the story is written in favour of Pandavas? Do you actually dislike the Pandavas, and think of Duryodhan and Karna etc as the heroes?

2. You mentioned that Duryodhan did not hit the bird eye as he did not want to hurt even the symbol of a living creature. But, he DID want to kill his cousins isn't it? It is not a question of who is the deserving heir, it is just that he wanted to kill them. And why did you feel Duryodhan would not want to hit the target for this reason? Even if Duryodhan is a hero, he does not have to be good at archery. That was an archery test, and Arjuna is bound to hit, and Duryodhan wasn't a good archer. That does not make him any less heroic (in your book) , so why such a interpretation? Why not accept that Duryodhan wasn't good enough to strike?

3.I think according to you whoever gets to write the story, is portrayed as heroes. The actual heroes are the villians and the heroes are bad. But, In Mahabharata, Vyasa has told us the story of both sides. If he would be in favour of Pandavas, then why would he mention them keeping quiet during Vastraharan, Bheem's numerous insults on Karna, potrayal of KUNTI in such a way (so that people sympathize of Karna. Nobody sees Kunti's side) and many other flaws which he showed. Pandavas weren't flawless. None of the good people of Mahabharata are. And some characters are more human, some are less human. But all of them are representation of people. What we are. Obviously, being a superman like Bheem is not possible IMO. But their mindset? Mahabharata is a story about people, and not only the heroes. It is said in Mahabharat that Duryodhan was a better mace fighter than Bheem. There is no doubt. He was more clever, and he wasn't a bad king. So is that in favour of Pandavas. Mahabharata is a story told open for interpretation. Then how can you say that the villians are heroes? Duryodhan is actually good?
Edited by Brishti_Sarkar - 9 years ago