Betiyaan Articles Archives:No Comments

Posted: 17 years ago
This section would contain all the articles related 2 the show Betiyan Apni Ya...Paraaya Dhan!
Gauri Nigudkar

Creating chemistry on TV

RESHMA S KULKARNI

It's amazing what the lure of glitz and glamour can achieve. Here we have a post grad in Organic Chemistry who aspired to become a professor of the subject till the time the glamour bug led her into taking up the lead role in a tele-serial. We are talking about Gauri Nigudkar, the cutesy kid on the block who plays the lead role of Krishna in the serial Betiyaan Ya... Paraaya Dhan
on Star One. "Well, it'd be wrong to say that I got carried away!" laughs Gauri. "I am still academically inclined, but was interested in theatrics since childhood. So, when I got a chance to star in a Marathi film Uttarayan, which went on to win the National Award, I jumped at it. One thing led to the other and I started getting commercials and then Betiyaan... just fell into my lap," explains Gauri. But wasn't she apprehensive about being part of a seemingly regressive subject like Betiyaan...? "Well, it's certainly not a regressive subject," says a defensive Gauri. "The story has just about begun gaining pace now and in the coming episodes it will only further highlight the fact that girls are in no way less as compared to guys. Had I been apprehensive about the subject, I wouldn't have taken it up." Whew, got the point Gauri!
   Talking about regressive subjects, is this why Gauri refused offers from Balaji? "No, not at all!" Gauri says vehemently. "Balaji did offer me good roles but I couldn't do them because of prior commitments. They were very understanding about. Furthermore, I certainly do not think that saas-bahu serials are regressive. I wouldn't mind doing a saas-bahu serial, be it from the Balaji house or anywhere. What matters to me is the role."
   Betiyaan..., as the name suggests, is all about a coterie of girls — so how 'famously' do the girls get along? "As clichd as it sounds, we get along famously, no pun intended," quips Gauri. "I know that news of a catfight makes spicy reading but sorry to disappoint, there are none on our sets." Gauri might be very vocal about her opinions but quiz her about her personal life and she goes into a shell. "No personal questions please!" Well Gauri, that proves you do have all the makings of a huge star for sure!

Waddhwa's double bonanza

Kunal M Shah

Producer Sunjoy Waddhwa is excited about the prospect of two of his shows, Paraya Dhan and Saathi Re, debuting back to back on Star One on the same day, October 10.

Says Waddhwa, "My association with the Star One began when my show DON went on air. I am glad to work with the channel again. As we did for Saat Phere on Zee, Star One too asked us to come up with two strong storylines. I was pleasantly surprised when the channel liked both the ideas. Perhaps I am the only producer, whose two mega-soaps are being launched on the same day."   

Was it difficult to start shooting the two serials at the same time? "It sure was a Herculean task, but any battle is half won if you have a good team. The casting however took its own time.  Now we have everything in control. We have even built up an episode bank for the two serials."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;am p;articleid=102200611836171102200611731656

Star of the week: By Sneha Hazarika

There is another young actress standing out amongst the dozens of newcomers who make their debut on the tube almost every month. Gauri Nigudkar is one such fresh face. She will be seen on Star One's Paraya Dhan. The actress might be new for mainstream audiences, but she has already enthralled Marathi filmgoers with her work in the past. Now she hopes that the same magic will be recreated with her very first serial Paraya Dhan.

First tell us about your background. How did you get this role?
I had done a Marathi film Uttarayan which is a national award winner. I have also done  two–three commercials in the past but wasn't doing any major work. One fine day I got a call from the production house Sphere Origin. I gave an audition and got selected for Paraya Dhan.

What is the role that you are playing in Paraya Dhan?
I play Krishna, the eldest daughter in a family of six daughters and one brother. It's a huge family. In many ways her character is very much like Lord Krishna himself. She is  naughty  yet quite vulnerable. The child in her is still alive.

What about your co artistes in the show?
Rajiv Verma is playing my father. And there are artistes like Shilpa who has done Bhabi, Snighdha, Jyoti and Manish who play the roles of my siblings. They have done quite a bit of work in the past.

It's big unit. So how is the rapport on the sets?
The first schedule was in Jodhpur and it was great fun. All six girls and the boy are of the same age. So we had loads of fun. We shopped together, ate together, made merry and enjoyed fully.

The same production house is also behind the super successful Saat Phere on Zee.  So don't you think a lot would be expected out of the serial?
The producer Sanjayji is excellent. It's a very prestigious project. The production value, the locations and the equipments are great. So I just hope for the best.

What about your look in the show?
It's basically a very simple character. Nothing is loud about her. So her make up and outfits are subtle. I guess people will be able to relate to her. I hope people will like and accept the character.

You seem to be totally in love with this character!
Oh yes. It's also something with which I am emotionally attached. I am a great devotee of Lord Krishna. So I feel really good about playing this role.

There was a lot of controversy about the theme of this show since its inception. There is another show on Zee — Betiyaan which has a similar theme. What do you have to say about the competition?
Nothing at all. I am here to do my job and give it my best shot. I have no idea about what's happening on other channels. I don't worry about these things. Frankly speaking, I do not care. I am doing my work and that's about it.

Any plans about your next target?
Right now, it's just this show which I am concentrating on. I guess this will give me a name. I have been more into studies. I will think about other things at a much later stage.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#M alaika%20steals%20the%20show

Clash of the title

Two producers are fighting over the title, Paraya Dhan. (Neither of them should be using it to describe a woman, anyway)

Kunal M Shah

Producers Purushotam Bisawa and Sunjoy Wadhwa are involved in a title clash, with both exercising their exclusive rights over the title Paraya Dhan. While Bisawa asserts that he had already registered his title three years ago and his show is scheduled to start soon of DD, Waddhwa's show Beetiyan Apni Ya Paraya Dhan is scheduled to start from the October 10 on Star One.

Bisawa is now planning to get a stay on Waadhwa's show if his complaint at AMPTPP is not resolved by Monday. He says, "I do not want to get involved in any controversy, I just hope the Association does something about the problem. Waddhwa has added 'Beetiyan Apni Ya', but he is promoting the show as Paraya Dhan. So far there has been no response from the AMPTPP. People have been calling me and there is confusion over the serials. Why should I suffer just because he is the big producer? I will not take this lying down."

Meanwhile, Wadhwa says, "I don't know the man but I have got his letter and we are looking into the matter. I have little control over what is written; but from my end I have always said that my show is Beetiyan Aapni Ya Paraya Dhan. I think he is resorting to this mud-slinging as a way to get some publicity. I want to stay away from controversy. His claim that my hoardings show only Paraya Dhan is completely untrue."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;am p;articleid=1072006182245310720061656671

Betiyan apni yaa... in October

STAR One's Betiyaan Apni Yaa Paraaya Dhan is about six daughters and a son born into a Zamindar family of Neelkanth Chanda Rana. It is the story of a father who rebukes his daughters because, for him, they are a burden. They have come into his life only for want of a son. Krishna, the eldest daughter and the protagonist, is based on Lord Krishna's character and personifies his depth of wisdom and understanding. A simple, honest and principled girl, she is the balancing factor amongst her sisters. Krishna is being played by Gauri Nidgurkar.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=13644

Tug of war between betiyaan

Two shows with similar storylines are going to hit the small screen.

Title: 'Ghar ki Lakshmi Betiyann' (Zee)

Storyline: The story is set in a traditional Gujarati household with four sisters and a brother who is given preference over the sisters. The lead role is played by 'Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2005' contestant Twinkle Bajpai. According to programming head, Ashvini Yardi, the show will address the issue of gender discrimination in our society today.

Tug of war: Apparently, script writer Rekkha Modi had first approached the channel with the concept but due to certain issues had walked out of the project. But Tarun Mehra, senior vice president, marketing (Zee) says, "It is a legal issue and we are working on it. But we have all the necessary documents and papers for our case."

Final verdict: 'Ghar ki Lakshmi... ' is going on air from September 25. Producer Dheeraj Kumar says, "We have been working on this project for the last five years and hope to address this issue." Inspite of the controversy created by the campaigns for 'Ghar ki...', the channel says that the show will definitely make a difference to the society.

Title: 'Betiyaan ya...Paraaya Dhan' (Star One)

Storyline: The focus of the show will be Krishna (Gauri Nigudkar) and her five sisters and a brother. Shailja Kejriwal, senior creative director (Star) says, "It's about how the parents depend for everything on their only son who eventually leaves them. Finally, the sisters prove that they can be better than the son."

Tug of war: The concept of 'Betiyaan ya... ' is by Rekkha Modi. The channel will air the show in October and say that they have no clue about the show on Zee.

Justification: Shailja adds, "We are confident that our show will be original. We aim for variety."

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1053984

Women in lead!

Women reign on STAR One, as the channel is all set to launch two family entertainment extravaganzas - 'Saathi Re' and 'Betiyaan apni yaa… Paraaya Dhan'

Starting this October, you have more reasons to be glued to your favourite channel, and better... You have new women to look out for in the two new shows.

Announcing the new programming block, Ms. Shailja Kejriwal, Senior Creative Director, Star India Pvt. Ltd. said, "We are delighted to bring a whole new entertainment experience to our viewers. With the new season of Nach Baliye 2 coming soon, we are all set to revamp primetime viewing with the two new shows that boast of a combination of intense family and social drama. Paraaya Dhan and Saathi Re will also see fresh content and some exciting new faces on STAR One."

Here is a quick take on the stories and the women in lead.

Saathi Re with lead Parakh Madan
Saathi Re is the story of Suman - a dutiful daughter, a loving sister, beautiful and idealistic… Traditional but confident… She epitomizes the ideal Indian girl. Her world is her small family with their middle class lifestyle and idiosyncrasies and their moments of joys, togetherness, turmoil and sorrows. This little world of Suman would indeed have been perfect if it were not for one thing. Her recurring nightmares… Nightmares about snakes, which leave her distraught every time and bring her bad luck!

As the story progresses it is learnt that nightmares have a greater significance in her life and indicates a 'Nagin Dosh' (flaw) in her Kundali. What jolts her family further is when they learn that Suman's Kundali will create havoc not only in her own life but also in other people's life around her.

Suman's role is played by newcomer - Parakh Madan, for who says acting is a new domain, but she does have a couple of commercials like Nokia, World Space, etc., to her credit. Parakh comes from a Punjabi family and the whole Gujrati customs and traditions are new to her. She says, "Suman is unlike me, she is mature and reserved, I myself am a brat as I am the younger daughter at home. So we are two different people and this is a sure challenge." Others in cast include Kiran Karmarkar, Indira Krishnan, Neena Gupta and Arjun Punjj.

Betiyaan apni yaa… Paraaya Dhan with lead Gauri Negulkar
Betiyaan apni yaa… Paraaya Dhan is the story of six daughters and one son born into a Zamindar family of Neelkanth Chanda Rana. Reality of millions of Indian daughters is brought on screen in the story of a father who rebukes his daughters because for him they are a burden.

Krishna, the eldest daughter and the protagonist is played by Gauri Negudkar. Krishna's role is based on none other than Lord Krishna's character and personifies his depth of wisdom and understanding.

A simple, honest and principled girl, she is the balancing factor amongst her sisters. Paraaya Dhan may be considered the story of many a home in India where it is believed that a son will take the family name further and a daughter is paraya dhan.

The protagonist role of Krishna is played by Gauri Negudkar who has a few projects up her sleeves. Gauri has been part of a Marathi show called Uttarayan, a couple of commercials including that of Moov. A Mumbaikar, Gauri has one sister and comes to tensil town with a Post Graduation degree in Chemistry, she aspired to be a Chemistry Professor until offers poured in.

Gauri's initiations into acting was when she was asked to be part of a theatre workshop after her 12th grade. A few one-act plays, tele-films and Gauri is here as a new beti on STAR One, "I'm a devotee of Lord Krishna myself and it is a pleasure to play a role that personifies his dept of wisdom and understanding, I hoped I would play a Meera Bhai, but I feel privileged to play Krishna."

Others in cast include Rajeev Varma, Madhuri Sanjeev, Ketaki Dave, Faisal Raza Khan, Gautam Rode, Shilpa Shinde and Ali Asgar.

To find out what Krishna and Suman have in store for you, tune into STAR One for thodi masti, thoda romance, lots of drama and non-stop entertainment…

http://www.indya.com/news/so_oct_shows.html
Star One announces prime time soap 'Betiyaan apni yaa…Paraaya Dhan'

Indiantelevision.com Team

(18 August 2006 9:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Star One is all set to launch one more soap to complete its prime time revamp. The soap Betiyaan apni yaa…Paraaya Dhan, slotted for Monday-Thursday 9 pm, will launch in October.

Announcing the new programming block, Star India senior creative director Shailja Kejriwal said, "We are delighted to bring a whole new entertainment experience to our viewers. With the new season of Nach Baliye 2 coming soon, we are all set to revamp primetime viewing with the two new shows that boast of a combination of intense family and social drama. Paraaya Dhan and Saathi Re will also see fresh content and some exciting new faces on Star One. "
Betiyaan apni yaa…Paraaya Dhan is the story of six daughters & one son born into a zamindar family of Neelkanth Chanda Rana. It is the story of a father who rebukes his daughters because for him they are a burden. They have come into his life only want of a son. Krishna, the eldest daughter and the protagonist, is based on Lord Krishna's character and personifies his depth of wisdom and understanding. A simple, honest and principled girl, she is the balancing factor amongst her sisters. Paraaya Dhan may be considered the story of many a home in India where it is believed that a son will take the family name further and a daughter is Paraya Dhan, says an official release.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k6/sep/sep183.ht m

Wooing viewers with soaps
Usha Thomas
Monday, October 09, 2006  23:50 IST

Two new soaps will be aired in a new prime time band on Star One

Star One has revamped its prime time band with 'Saathi Re' (Tuesday-Thursday, 8.30 pm) and 'Betiyaan Apni Yaa…Paraaya Dhan' (Tuesday-Thursday, 9 pm) from today.  Star India senior creative director Shailaja Kejriwal says, "We are set to revamp prime-time viewing. Both these series boast a combination of intense family and social drama, which should appeal to a large section of the audience.

'Saathi Re' is the story of Suman, an ideal Indian girl. Suman is played by newcomer Parakh Madan and she has leading actors like Neena Gupta, Kiran Karmarkar, Arjun Punjj and Amir Dalvi, amongst others as co-stars. Her world is her small family with their middle class lifestyle and idiosyncrasies and it would have been a perfect world had it were not for her recurring nightmares.

And '..Paraaya Dhan' is a story of six daughters and a son born into a zamindar family. The father rebukes his daughters because for him they are a burden. Krishna, the eldest daughter and the protagonist, is based on Lord Krishna's character and personifies his depth of wisdom and breath of understanding. Gauri Nigudkar plays Krishna and it is a role of a simple, honest and principled girl who is the balancing factor amongst her sisters.

An expert Kathak dancer, Parakh is gung ho about her role, despite no professional training in acting. "I won the Savvy Covergirl contest in May and started getting offers when I appeared on the magazine's front cover. This character appealed to me and I am looking forward to see how I am received by the viewers. My co-stars are senior and experienced actors and I don't hesitate to take guidance from them," says Parakh.

Gauri has acted in a National Award winning Marathi film (2004) and has done a few commercials too. "It's a dream come true for me as I never thought I would be on TV. Playing Meera or Radha is believable but playing Krishna is awesome. There are many shades to the character and the story line is pleasant, full of laughter and colourful scenes rather than the usual teary scenes," smiles Gauri.

Star One was launched with the intention of targeting an upscale audience. Though innovative programming will be part of their strategy, it will also be showing generic stuff, as with time, they have realized that it is the only thing that works.