Historical Discussion on Ashoka and Storyline - Page 3

Posted: 9 years ago
I like Devi 's chractr more than kaurwaki ... maine wiki pe hi pdha ki Devi se Ashok pehle mile like kiya fir Devi ne Ashok se sadi krne se mna kiya uske bad Ashok pe hmla hota hai aur Devi Ashok ko bchati h dekhbhal krti h etc fir uske bad shadi... i wish Ashoka show me Devi pe jyada focus kiya jaye... Devi ki story intresting bhi lg rhi h... !
fair and square - ashoka killed all his brothers right? to ascend to the throne - and he tricked susima into burning coal or something right - not exactly relying on wiki - but that seems to be written everywhere...
its even mentioned that ashoka resorted to violence on two occasions even after adopting to buddhism..

more than anything, Id like clarity on what led to the big transformation of his - the whole kalinga war reason looks a little unbelievable, coz for someone who has resorted to violence on rampant scale, killing his near and dear ones including wives, brothers, ministers and even built a torture chamber...its hard to believe that witnessing dead bodies transformed him?πŸ˜•
Originally posted by Hiral_Halwa

fair and square - ashoka killed all his brothers right? to ascend to the throne - and he tricked susima into burning coal or something right - not exactly relying on wiki - but that seems to be written everywhere...
its even mentioned that ashoka resorted to violence on two occasions even after adopting to buddhism..

more than anything, Id like clarity on what led to the big transformation of his - the whole kalinga war reason looks a little unbelievable, coz for someone who has resorted to violence on rampant scale, killing his near and dear ones including wives, brothers, ministers and even built a torture chamber...its hard to believe that witnessing dead bodies transformed him?πŸ˜•
All these facts are highly exaggerated. Not all scholars blindly believe chronicles. Buddhists highly exaggerated his cruelty. It was important for Ashoka to be cruel in nation's interest. By the way he was not that cruel as it is written in the books. And one scholar mentions he may never had a torture chamber.His cruelty has been exaggerated to glorify his transformation into Buddhism. No matter what he was much better than Akbar who is so called the great king. Ashoka was pretty much a very compassionated king.

Whatever I have wrote you can check it in books. I think you will find my information authentic. 😊
thanks for the explanations...

any particular book reference ud recommend- which is more factually correct? there is actually somewhat an information overload online...and yes a lot of contradicting facts...

or what if ashoka's compassionate side is exaggerated either? I mean we'd never know if he changed for his personal interest too? he had a huge empire to control - u cant control everything by violence - just on that count i find ashoka and jalal similar - both found a more peaceful way of controlling - one by way of religion, another by way of political diplomacy?

thanks for the explanations...

any particular book reference ud recommend- which is more factually correct? there is actually somewhat an information overload online...and yes a lot of contradicting facts...

I'll suggest book of satyaketu vidyalankar and research papers.

or what if ashoka's compassionate side is exaggerated either? I mean we'd never know if he changed for his personal interest too? he had a huge empire to control - u cant control everything by violence - just on that count i find ashoka and jalal similar - both found a more peaceful way of controlling - one by way of religion, another by way of political diplomacy?
NO you are wrong. Akbar was a political man. He was a shrewd statesman. He wanted to see Mughal empire grow by leaps and bounds. For that he again forced jaziya on mewaris and killed them way after he became Akbar. Ashoka after self realization totally renounced the world though kept his authority for governance. Ashoka was great in humanitarian terms, Akbar was great in political terms. There can be no comparison between Ashoka and Akbar.
Originally posted by HaremSultan

I'll suggest book of satyaketu vidyalankar and research papers.
thanks for this - will surely look into these😊
Thanks for the synopsis @Hiral...now if I watch this show, I will have no expectations for historical accuracy. It's just a glorified and longer version of the SRK's movie (which was a let down too)

@Babbar_sher...what was your ID before? πŸ˜Š

@Meself...thanks for clarifying
Edited by bheegi - 9 years ago