Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Amaal Mallik talks about Salman giving him a break and Sooraj Dooba

Scorpio_Velvet thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
How did 'Sooraj Dooba' happen?

I met Mr Bhushan Kumar with a few songs and he told me he was looking for a youthful party song for Roy. He also informed me that he had given the same situation to five other big music composers and would select the best track. I took up the challenge and returned to the office to play him my track with rough lyrics. He immediately loved the melody and told me my song was on. My happiness knew no bounds! He then put me on to the director to understand the situation and get the lyrics right.

What was the brief? 

Vikramjit Singh (director of Roy) gave me an insight into Ranbir Kapoor's character, a carefree person who believes one should forget everything and live freely. Vicky wanted the track to be about being young and carefree, something that would play in clubs too. Kumaar (the lyricist) has done a splendid job. The minute he came up with the lines 'Matlabi jo jaa zara matlabi, duniya ki sunta hai kyun, khud ki bhi sun le kabhi', I realised we've hit upon something really special, something every person in this world can relate to. The hook line, 'Sooraj dooba hai yaaron, doh ghoot nashe ke maaro' sealed the deal for me. We had a party song with a simple melody, EDM (electronic dance music) beats and non-crass lyrics.

How did you get into music composition? 

I was eight years old when I was enrolled into a piano class by my parents. I have grown up in a family of musicians, so music was all around me. I composed my first song at the age of 15 and played it to my father Daboo Malik. He saw the composer in me and wanted me to learn music production and master my art. He always has me on my toes and is the biggest critic I've have ever had. I went on to complete my degree at Trinity College Of London, assisted music directors, composed for jingles and started making a bank of songs.

Tell us about your breakthrough in Bollywood. 
In 2014, my younger brother met Salman Sir ( Salman Khan) with his personal album. When he heard my song 'Love You Till The End', he liked it and told me to make a romantic Hindi version of the song. I came back in a few days with 'Tumko Toh Aana Hi Tha', with new lyrics and, to my surprise, he told me he's taking the song for his next film Jai Ho. At the last minute, I was asked to compose the title song as well. That's how my journey as a composer began.

How has the journey been so far? 

After the release of Jai Ho, I was on a slight downer as my music went unnoticed due to lack of promotion and other reasons beyond my understanding. One bright morning, Rhea Kapoor called and asked me to compose a special track for her film Khoobsurat the same night. I was excited yet nervous as I had never delivered a track so quickly before, but as the say, magic happens when you least expect it and that's how Naina was born. The song was composed, arranged, written, recorded and mixed within a day, and sung by my brother Armaan.

Which composers and artistes do you look up to? 

I love Hans Zimmer, Michael Buble, Michael Jackson, Coldplay and David Guetta. RD Burman, AR Rahman and Pritam Sir are my favourites back home.

What are you hoping to bring to Bollywood music in future? 

I am working hard to make super tunes with great sound and catchy lyrics. If given a chance, I would love to incorporate more of true RnB, pop, EDM and orchestral elements in my songs. Today, with so much music available online, people are listening to a lot of stuff and are open to new sounds. I compose, programme and arrange songs on my own and this helps me bring my stamp of sound to my songs.

What are you currently looking forward to? 

I'm looking forward to my next releases " Calendar Girls, Mastizaade, Leela, Hero, Junooniyatand Sanam Re.

Your hopes and dreams. 

If I can achieve anything that can bring a smile on my mom-dad's face, that's enough for me. I just want my parents to live their dreams through me.
Edited by Scorpio_Velvet - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Two types of music sell these days; 1. Honey Singh 2. Suni Sunayi Dhoon. And this guy Armaan Malik is making the latter. Suraj Dooba was a copy of Raat Bhar (which was a less promoted song of Hero Panti), that Khubsoorat song was another copy of O Re Manwa Tu Toh (Iktara).

So this guy would also become big like Himesh. 

dhartiamber thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Salman gave work to many people actors, directors, choreographers and countless music directors and singers. Amaal's songs are doing great his song in Jai Ho was the best song in the Jai ho album much better than dumb sajid wajid recent songs. 
I_M_SultaN thumbnail
is this amaal malik  a star kid