Originally posted by ..HeMish4ever..

NAZ 😕 Am Lojain you forget me or what ?

i will do for sure thanks 😳
Oh goshhh😳 biwi?😳 awww
Posted: 7 years ago

Tutorial#9

How to Sharpen a GIF without making it noisy

Hello everyone,
I have asked in the Questions and Queries Thread if you guys want to see a Tutorial on how to get a Sharpening Effect like this:
https://i.imgur.com/be3EZu5.gif

More than 10 People wanted to see it, so I am here to show you!

So, before I start, I wanted to give the Link of the Sharpening Action from 18shabbo which I have used!
Soft Sharpening Action

So, let's begin then:

S T E P 1 - UPLOADING THE VIDEO ON PS!
Open your Photoshop (I use Photoshop CS5 Extended Version-Download Link on First Page)
Upload your Video which is mp4, other kind of Videos are not working.
How to Upload Videos on PS:
Go to FILE -> IMPORT -> VIDEO FRAMES TO LAYERS

If I want to select which part I want to use for my GIF then I always click to *Select Range Only* and then I select *Limit To Every 2 Frames* because I think the Frames are getting too much and it reduces the Quality of the Video.

S T E P 2 - ADDING ALL THE LAYERS TO GROUP!
When you have uploaded the Video, you will get many Layers. Just click on the Group Button below of you Layers and then click on any Layer of the GIF and just right click on it. Click to *Select Similar Layers* It makes it more easier to select all the Layers. Then just shift the Layers to the Group.

You can close the Group then.

S T E P 3 - CHANGING TO TIMELINE!
So coming to the Frames. Select all the Layers and make all of them *0,07 Sec*. It's best for GIFs when you limit them to 2 Frames.

After that, just click to *Shift to Timeline* on the bottom. Now coming back to the Layers, click on the Group and then go to FILTERS -> CONVER TO SMALL FILTERS
Then it must look like this:

PS- DON'T CONVERT THE GROUP TO SMALL FILTERS BEFORE YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED TO TIMELINE!

S T E P 4 - USE SHARPEN ACTION!
As the Video is too big, I make it a little bit smaller by clicking on IMAGE -> IMAGE SIZE. I mostly write 500 px Width to make it smaller.

After that, I have used the Sharpen Action which I have linked above made by 18shabbo.
But you can make / use your own Sharpen Action. :)

S T E P 5 - NOW CREATE YOUR OWN SHARPENING EFFECT!
Copy the Layer which you have added the Sharpening Effect by your own.

Then go to FILTER -> SHARPEN -> SMART SHARPEN.

Radius should be 1,0px but use a lot of Amount. Like I have used 262%! Don't worry, first it will look too much of sharpen but don't worry, we will fix it:D

Then, this part is very important.
CHANGE IT FROM NORMAL to ***PIN LIGHT***

Then you will get to see too much changes on your GIF. But it won't change the noisiness. It only increases the Sharpeness:D If you still feel it's less, then again go to FILTER -> SHARPEN -> SMART SHARPEN. But this time reduce the Amount and click to OK, do it till you like it. But I prefer to not doing any Action on this, because it depends on the Video Quality and Size, it won't look good if you do an Action and use then for it, so I didn't do an Action easily than writing a big Tutorial.😆

S T E P 6 - ADD COLORING TO YOUR GIF
See, I have added very very less coloring adjustements to my GIF.

It is better if you use less coloring trust me!:)

Now, it will look like this:

S T E P 7 - SAVE YOUR GIF
Save your gif by clicking to FILE -> SAVE IMAGE FOR WEB & DEVICES.
Click to ok.

Now you are done!

If you use this Sharpening Trick, then please credit it. As I haven't seen this anywhere on the Internet (Tumblr or Deviantart), I found it myself.

I hope I could explain you. If you have any Queries, then don't shy, comment here! I would be more than glad to help you out! :)

Here is a difference check:

---

WITH SHARPENING EFFECT TRACK  --------  WITHOUT (USED THE SHARPEN ACTION)

SEE YOU IN MY NEXT TUTORIALS!

Till then, Cheers! :)

Edited by StrawberryParam - 7 years ago
thanks...very helpful  😃
I have always used the sharpening first and then coloring method. But for some gifs they don work because of the quality. Anyways thank you buddy for the amazing tutorial. You rock! 👏
Thank you
I'm going to try this out over the weekend and hopefully be successful
i love how u experiment with ur ps and TUTS u r providing are totallly amazing i think u simply great i love u for it <3 seriously i lost my ps and u posted a portable version oh gosh how can i repay u ? 
This tut is amazing will def try out thank u so so muchhh 
ohh this tut is for gifs. oh gosh! can we have a tut of sharpening effect for non animated sigs? i dont make gifs but this tut is really good! keep it up naz.
Originally posted by priyanshiii

ohh this tut is for gifs. oh gosh! can we have a tut of sharpening effect for non animated sigs? i dont make gifs but this tut is really good! keep it up naz.
you can use them for no animated aswell.. I have written GIFs because it looks too good on gifs.. but as I said you can use them on non animated aswell. :)))
I love all your tutorials :) Helping others is a great Job! Keep up the good work :)