Saira Banu: My gift for Dilip saab is my eternal love

ablazedmelody thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
My gift for Dilip saab is my eternal love
Wife Saira Banu reacts to veteran actor being discharged from the hospital to celebrate his 92nd birthday at home with family and friends

Reshma Kelkar Dabholkar
Dec 12, 2014

Dilip Kumar, who turned 92 yesterday, celebrated his birthday at home with his family. The veteran actor was admitted to Lilavati hospital since the past few weeks but getting discharged and going back home brought a lot of joy for the actor and his wife Saira Banu.

While leaving the hospital, he lovingly looked at the crowd of fans outside Lilavati who were waiting patiently for a glance of their favourite actor. They all started singing Happy birthday' and Dilip saab started singing along as well.

Speaking about Dilip saab, wife Saira Banu said, " He has been discharged from the hospital and is home now. It's a very big step because he has been unwell with bronchitis and pneumonia and the doctors gave him an early discharge to recoup at home on his birthday so he has specially come home for that.

It has to be a quiet time for him obviously.

Earlier, he was not recouping well at home and not reacting to oral antibiotics that's why we had to shift him to the suite in Lilavati." Commenting on the veteran actor turning 92, she added yesterday, " We wanted to celebrate it in a big way. People started the countdown three months before the actual birthday I was telling them not to hype his birthday much. People used to say he is going to be 92. I told them isse nazar lagti hai, meri nazar lagti hai, logo ki nazar lagti hai and I am sure aisi nazar lagi ki we had to take him to the hospital. Nazar aisi cheez hai jo patthar ko bhi tod deti hai so I always like to underplay things. Our house will be lit up today with lights all over. The family will get together for a close and quiet celebration." Finally when asked about what will be her gift to him, Saira Banu said, " My gift for Dilip saab is my eternal love. From the past 48 years and earlier than that too when I loved him even before he married me, it's a lifetime love, which is the best gift for him. I am extremely happy and very grateful to God that he is fine. I was so scared as it is not easy for an elderly person to suffer from pneumonia. But he is a Pathan mashallah! God has been kind to us and he made it back home."