Moral Policing-"Kiss of Love"-Your Thoughts ??

Posted: 9 years ago
So how do you feel about :

Fight against moral policing: Kochi to hold "Kiss of Love ... 

Kerala: 'Kiss of Love' meets wall of cops, protesters

As expected , this fight against moral policing drew lots of attention ,criticism & condemnation .. the police thwarted the attempts against moral policing..not only that , the police , though worked against the protesters of moral policing , still had a tough time with controlling the people protesting the protest against moral policing...

For the Topic :

So do you think moral policing is moral?..after all, this is the 21st century India & its embarrassing that such protests needs to be arranged against the violent moral policing..this is not Taliban..all those people claiming that its against our culture to kiss in public need to snap out of their 'victorianized' hypocritical mentality..its baffling how India maintains such a stand when it tops among the most populated countries in the world..may be such an attitude is indeed responsible for such a situation...in India "romantic intimacy" of any kind is strictly reserved for after marriage....it is only meant for people intending to have sex & multiply  & not for the purpose enjoyment..enjoyment is crime.. ..u cant enjoy without feeling guilty....whats even worse is that such a mentality even paves way for marital rapes , since everything is ok within a marriage..moreover, there is a lot of shame associated with sex & sexual intimacy leading to an overall sexually frustrated population which inturn leads to sexual crimes ..whats even worse is that such crimes go unreported due the general sex-negative attitude of the society which further encourages sex-offenders..

To be honest , i am kind of scared & concerned about the girls who took part in this "Love of Kiss" protest in Kochi..and i couldnt help but laugh when it was mentioned that the LGBT community too took part in it..i mean look at the pathetic condition of our society , even heterosexuals dont have the freedom of expressing romantic intimacy in public , going by that LGBT seems like distant dream..

Against the Topic :

Do you think moral policing is indeed necessary since a lot of youngsters need to be taught that sex comes with responsibility ?..a lot of kids in the west are messed up due to early sexual encounters , would u like Indian youngsters to go down the same road ?.. you cant just go fooling around with anybody & everybody you like..u need to respect ur body..we are not animals , we are humans..there is a difference..and when people start behaving like animals , the entire foundation of the human society goes for a toss..if u want to get intimate with ur loved ones,do it in the privacy or comfort of ur home, y do u need to smooch in public ?..if u arent in a position to afford a safe place for sexual intimacy (may be u r a student or unemployed or still stay with parents) then may be u should just keep it aside for the time when u can afford to do so but y in public?..say in a park or beach , lots of people come there (like families with kids, elderly people)..and if u carry on with such activities , u make others uncomfortable..there is a place & time for everything..and may be a bit of moral policing is required after all in order to make this society a better place to live in.. 

Your thoughts ?
Edited by Quixotic5 - 9 years ago

IIT-B to lock lips with Kochi's 'Kiss of Love' movement - The ...

Kiss of Love supporters arrested by Kochi police

You have piles; why should I stop being an asshole? Moral policing is bullshit, in all honesty. Our society is putting moral restrictions and defining others' moral duties since ages. Did it help making it a better place? No. It's only got repulsive with sick ideologies being imposed on others every now and then. Nobody uses the term society and its conduct with positive taste, it's always used to quote restrictions and defining limits. 

And, if pissing along roadside can be overlooked, why not kissing? Former pollutes the space, latter ain't  even spreading any infections. Society needs to sort its priorities or stop talking about betterment and quality growth. 

Today they say we have questionable morals due to western influence, tomorrow they'll enforce laws against people who breathe the air coming from west. What are we? An isolated nation? Why such nonsensical attitude amidst all this globalization? The whole influence, western, eastern, northern or any xyz one, can never be wholly positive. Everything has its downfall and flaws. But putting restrictions is not a solution; they should find better ways to handle situations. Spread sexual awareness at all levels and get out of your comfort zone, if you are so growth conscious. How sensible is it to call 'looking down' on others' harmless decisions as steps towards betterment and growth?
Originally posted by amidstthehues

You have piles; why should I stop being an asshole?

- Not sure what u were going for here.. 🤔..as in if some people have problem with public display of affection, its their problem but why should they impose restrictions on others for their sake ? is that it?..or something else ?..😕..so its similar to - most women cant put up with eve-teasing either but its none of the culprit's concern..

Moral policing is bullshit, in all honesty.

- Yeah but it helps to stabilize a society in some ways..dont u think that a general sense of morality is prudent for a healthy society & therefore the entities threatning to destroy it must be dealt with carefully .a.k.a. wee bit of 'moral policing'.. 

Our society is putting moral restrictions and defining others' moral duties since ages. Did it help making it a better place? No.

- Debatable..kids in the west are generally exposed to sex at an early age but in India the kids are still kept on a tight leash ( that is ofcourse talking about middle-class society only ; the poor class & higher class excluding )..and i feel that it was possible only bcoz of the Indian sense of morality that prevails in the middle-class Indian society..

It's only got repulsive with sick ideologies being imposed on others every now and then. Nobody uses the term society and its conduct with positive taste, it's always used to quote restrictions and defining limits. 

- Yes, moral policing comes with a lot of restrictions & defining limits..but is that enough to make it sick or repulsive ?

And, if pissing along roadside can be overlooked, why not kissing?

-hmm, so kissing in some ways is 'a little better' than pissing..🤔 thats a good argument but may be the solution here is dealing with public sanitation & awareness in the strictest of manner rather than bowing out of moral policing 'only because' people still take a piss on the road due to lack of proper sanitation administration..

Former pollutes the space, latter ain't  even spreading any infections. Society needs to sort its priorities or stop talking about betterment and quality growth. 
-Yes yes, Kissing in public is certainly not as bad as pissing in public..😊

Today they say we have questionable morals due to western influence, tomorrow they'll enforce laws against people who breathe the air coming from west.

- I bet the moral police feels that , today they are asking the freedom to kiss in public & tomorrow people will be having sex in public..

What are we? An isolated nation? Why such nonsensical attitude amidst all this globalization?

- Why should 'globalization' mean that moral policing is a bad idea ?..🤓..are we now supposed to copy other nations rather than working out a solution ourselves ?.. 

The whole influence, western, eastern, northern or any xyz one, can never be wholly positive. Everything has its downfall and flaws. But putting restrictions is not a solution; they should find better ways to handle situations. Spread sexual awareness at all levels and get out of your comfort zone, if you are so growth conscious. How sensible is it to call 'looking down' on others' harmless decisions as steps towards betterment and growth?

- I Agree.. 😊..there are better , more acceptable , practical & logical methods to deal with moral issues rather than 'Moral Policing'..👍🏼 

Originally posted by Quixotic5

Edited by amidstthehues - 9 years ago
'Kiss of Love' 🤣 damn we didnt get newspaper today and I missed it!

Moral policiing and 'kiss of love' are both idiotic 😆

Firstly, and primarily sex, romantic intimacy are personal. People ALL over the world must relegate it to their personal lives - this I mean on two planes - no need of showing your love as though you'd die if you wouldnt kiss your man, another being - taking any PDA if it happens as love, and being indifferent to it - good if it makes you happy, ignore if it looks ugly. But moral policing is simply out of this world, where I believe the parents themselves should just show the pros and cons of anything and leave it to the child for him to decide.

Secondly, yes, I am against PDA because this is a society, grown-ups like you and me can take it in a matured way, but what about kids? OK, our parents would hug and kiss in front of us when we were kids and we're used to taking any PDA as 'love'... but not all kids are like that. As you said, India is not just most populated, it is largely diverse and a heterogenous society. The west could easily cope with the PDA and all, but there are varied factors on different layers to be considered before we veer towards something as simple as PDA. It comes when people as a whole learn to respect societal identities, learn to respect each other, learn to 'live, and let live'.

Please visualise our country - the mindblowing heterogenosity in every aspect of social life. It's not as simple as you're asking for.

Thirdly, this so called 'Kiss of Love' programme which was organised is a direct result of being subject to excessive and a perverted form of moral policing. It's a given people will rebel in silly ways when pushed.

Fourthly, this is 21st century, people should be least concerned about something so small as romantic intimacies... life's got many things better than that, many real issues that need to be addressed on a personal as well on a societal level, so either moral policing or demand for 'freedom' is simply silly in today's context or any time in future. Nobody is going to die if they wont kiss/hug their beloved in public.

One must really have a balanced view. The kind of society he lives in, the realities he's living within, the value or importance of certain things and all.

It's easy to say people must accept, "grow up" ...but the reality is far from that. And, also whatever the reality may be, there are issues that deserve attention more than THIS.

Speaking of romantic intimacy before/after marriage --- whether we accept or not, pre-marital romantic intimacy happens in every corner of the world, even in tribal or the most reserved societies.. no point in condemning or 'accepting' it. The people themselves have to take necessary precautions if they indulge.. this differs from person to person, point is he must know what he is doing.

And dont blame the society for feeling guilty 😆 When you demand freedom from the very society that condemns intimacies, when you know what you want, how can you feel guilty? :)

This is a complex issue or maybe I am finding it difficult to articulate succintly. Hope I made sense... and am not confusing. Thankyou!

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 9 years ago
Also, about having sex in public. If it is made illegal, wouldn't it be unfair to those who are homeless? Should they barge into others' homes and get intimate there? Or will they be given new homes? Or worse, they'll be banned from having sex? 😳 And if they are allowed to continue in public, wouldn't it be unfair to other couples who have homes but would rather do it nature's way? 😳 

Also, about having sex in public. If it is made illegal, wouldn't it be unfair to those who are homeless? Should they barge into others' homes and get intimate there? Or will they be given new homes? Or worse, they'll be banned from having sex? 😳 And if they are allowed to continue in public, wouldn't it be unfair to other couples who have homes but would rather do it nature's way? 😳 

🤔
'in public' ..translates to, 'where you cannot be seen' 😆 

Diseased should be treated, healthy shouldn't be dragged down to his level to maintain the balance. Eve teasing ain't consensual; couple kissing in public is. How can they be compared? 
- Thats a good point ..⭐️..however , if consent of the involved party is the only matter of concern , then what if a couple starts kissing & then groping & then making loud noises with each other's consent in public whilst making the rest of the public uncomfortable, wouldnt that be selfish?..what about the consent of public being completely ignored in public spaces ?..do you see now the point that i was trying to get across ?..may be the previous example wasnt the best..hopefully this should do it..

Yes the diseased should be treated & the healthy shouldnt be dragged down to his level to maintain the balance but in the case of overt public display of affection & public discomfort , it remains to be seen who is 'diseased'  & who is 'healthy'..

On grounds of morality, it stabilizes in a way it makes it rigid. It should be flexible enough to promote growth. Static equilibrium ain't healthy, dynamic is. 

There is difference between moral guidance and moral restrictions. In India, kids are morally restricted from talking about sex and intimacy. It is such a taboo the kid is never comfortable enough to put forth his/her curious questions and doubts to people he should be approaching. There are no sex related talks in a family gathering or discussion. Channels showing such scenes are changed and not watched in a family together. So, even when the kid gets late exposure to intimacy physically, he is preoccupied by it mentally. And he grows up with a mentality that tells him how big of a deal sex is. This restriction ain't healthy, it rather piles up the symptoms, which manifests as disease in late years of that kid's age. It only delays and makes the whole issue more chronic, how is that a solution, then? We have sexually frustrated adults, eve or male teasers, rapists, pedophiles, abusers. If we've had such healthy morals since ages, why haven't we been able to uproot these immoral issues which are also illegal. Are we really growing? 

- True..

What about freedom of choice if others keep imposing their subjective views on others? The couple kissing in public ain't harming no one, let alone public property. 

- Ah, see now this is where most people go wrong most of the times..one should be sensible enough to exercise their right to freedom of 'something' sensibly..

- In this case , yes a couple kissing in public is not literally harming anyone but what would u say about public discomfort caused by this action ?.. is this when we are just supposed to adopt a "just deal with it ! " attitude ?..a quick peck on the cheeks or holding hands is not generally frowned upon in the cities but smooching borders on being a sexual act..the couple is pleasuring themselves in public place..dont u think this is where lines needs to be drawn ?..why should private acts be made public thereby making public uncomfortable & demanding that they just be ok with it ?..i think it would incredibly suffocating public life going by Indian sensibilities .. where is it written that just bcoz foreigners kiss in public , we should do whatever it takes to ape them ?.. what is or where is the so-called progress/growth in that ? 

It's immoral to expose your private parts in public, one can't piss w/o that. Ain't that 'immoral', then? 🤔

It certainly is , but y should that be a benchmark to make 'kissing in public' moral ?..🤔..shouldnt we be fighting for better sanitation administration instead of using it as an excuse to moralize 'kissing in public'?

-Yes yes, Kissing in public is certainly not as bad as pissing in public..😊 
Why is kissing in public even a little bad? 

- well it isnt explicitly so , but its comparison with 'pissing in public' seemed to suggest something on similar lines..😆

- I bet the moral police feels that , today they are asking the freedom to kiss in public & tomorrow people will be having sex in public.. 
What's wrong in that? Ask them to clean up the place or charge them if they don't. 

- WHAT ?? 😕

- Why should 'globalization' mean that moral policing is a bad idea ?..🤓..are we now supposed to copy other nations rather than working out a solution ourselves ?.. 
If flow and use of goods is fine, why flow and adoption of ideas makes one's morals and self-sufficiency questionable? I have mentioned below that we need to work out a solution. Restriction, ain't one of them for it offers superficial short term gains. Doesn't reach the roots. 

- I think there is a difference between business relations & cultural relations ...what might be appealing to the western sensibilities may not be so for the Indian sensibilities..and i dont see anything wrong with that..its just a matter of cultural difference which isnt to say that we should abandon our culture/personality or try to be like others..i dont see any modernization or globalization in that..🤔

The whole influence, western, eastern, northern or any xyz one, can never be wholly positive. Everything has its downfall and flaws. But putting restrictions is not a solution; they should find better ways to handle situations. Spread sexual awareness at all levels and get out of your comfort zone, if you are so growth conscious. How sensible is it to call 'looking down' on others' harmless decisions as steps towards betterment and growth?

- I Agree.. 😊..there are better , more acceptable , practical & logical methods to deal with moral issues rather than 'Moral Policing'..👍🏼 

😊

Originally posted by Angel-likeDevil

'Kiss of Love' 🤣 damn we didnt get newspaper today and I missed it!

Moral policiing and 'kiss of love' are both idiotic 😆

Firstly, and primarily sex, romantic intimacy are personal. People ALL over the world must relegate it to their personal lives - this I mean on two planes - no need of showing your love as though you'd die if you wouldnt kiss your man, another being - taking any PDA if it happens as love, and being indifferent to it - good if it makes you happy, ignore if it looks ugly. But moral policing is simply out of this world, where I believe the parents themselves should just show the pros and cons of anything and leave it to the child for him to decide.

Secondly, yes, I am against PDA because this is a society, grown-ups like you and me can take it in a matured way, but what about kids? OK, our parents would hug and kiss in front of us when we were kids and we're used to taking any PDA as 'love'... but not all kids are like that. As you said, India is not just most populated, it is largely diverse and a heterogenous society. The west could easily cope with the PDA and all, but there are varied factors on different layers to be considered before we veer towards something as simple as PDA. It comes when people as a whole learn to respect societal identities, learn to respect each other, learn to 'live, and let live'.

Please visualise our country - the mindblowing heterogenosity in every aspect of social life. It's not as simple as you're asking for.

Thirdly, this so called 'Kiss of Love' programme which was organised is a direct result of being subject to excessive and a perverted form of moral policing. It's a given people will rebel in silly ways when pushed.

Fourthly, this is 21st century, people should be least concerned about something so small as romantic intimacies... life's got many things better than that, many real issues that need to be addressed on a personal as well on a societal level, so either moral policing or demand for 'freedom' is simply silly in today's context or any time in future. Nobody is going to die if they wont kiss/hug their beloved in public.

One must really have a balanced view. The kind of society he lives in, the realities he's living within, the value or importance of certain things and all.

It's easy to say people must accept, "grow up" ...but the reality is far from that. And, also whatever the reality may be, there are issues that deserve attention more than THIS.

Speaking of romantic intimacy before/after marriage --- whether we accept or not, pre-marital romantic intimacy happens in every corner of the world, even in tribal or the most reserved societies.. no point in condemning or 'accepting' it. The people themselves have to take necessary precautions if they indulge.. this differs from person to person, point is he must know what he is doing.

And dont blame the society for feeling guilty 😆 When you demand freedom from the very society that condemns intimacies, when you know what you want, how can you feel guilty? :)

This is a complex issue or maybe I am finding it difficult to articulate succintly. Hope I made sense... and am not confusing. Thankyou!

@ Red & rest of the post :  👍🏼  👍🏼 ⭐️ ⭐️