Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Siddharth Anand: If I make a morose film, it might appeal to critics

ablazedmelody thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago

"If I Make A Morose Film With Poor People, It Might Appeal To Critics" - Siddharth Anand On Bang Bang's Reviews

October 7
KOIMOI

Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif in a still from movie Bang Bang'

Bang Bang was a slower version of Knight and Day and many who have loved the original cannot bring themselves to like the refurbished, Bollywood-ised desi counterpart. Undoubtedly, the film has opened big and is massively successful so far. In no time it has made more than 100 crores at the domestic box office and 150 plus worldwide. And yet, the critics haven't spoken very favorably about the film.

Speaking of the same, director Siddharth Anand told Koimoi, "There is no film in the history of Indian cinema that has crossed 100 crores and not had mixed reviews, apart from 3 Idiots. But even 3 Idiots was given low ratings by many, with headlines reading Missed Opportunity'. But no film as such can make 100 crores and not have a mixed opinion on the same."

The director was evidently not very pleased with the critics. He feels critics only criticize and in case of Bang Bang, it was largely true. He said, "Critics' job is to criticize. They like films which don't appeal to every Indian and appeal to only their own mental state. So I think their mental state is not a very happy one. Happy films don't appeal to them. But if I make a sad, morose film with poor people, poor clothes, that might appeal to them. They don't like to simply come to the cinemas and relax and just enjoy. Don't take it so seriously, ya. I am only taking 250 bucks from you. I am not asking for your jaaydat. It is a fun, entertaining film. Come have your popcorn. Don't take your popcorn so seriously either."

For Siddharth, Bang Bang was a genre shift and while the initial brush of bad reviews don't seem as perturbing due to reassuring figures, but are apprehensions absolutely absent? Siddharth replies with a smile, "The film was genre changing move for me. It was designed to be a commercial entertainer which means it will appeal to a wider range of people. The more people are drawn to a film, the more money the film will make. I have always made romantic comedies which is a very youth oriented genre. This will appeal to everyone, from kids to grandparents! We were expecting big numbers and thankfully people came to watch the film."

Hrithik and Siddharth along with Fox Star Studios might even consider a sequel of the film. The big numbers are obviously making the team very confident but since it was mounted on a massive budget, it is possible that the film will still take a while to incur profits.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MoronsKiMallika thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Happy films don't appeal to them. But if I make a sad, morose film with poor people, poor clothes, that might appeal to them. They don't like to simply come to the cinemas and relax and just enjoy. Don't take it so seriously, ya. I am only taking 250 bucks from you. I am not asking for your jaaydat. It is a fun, entertaining film. Come have your popcorn. Don't take your popcorn so seriously either."

😲

To prove your point and to defend yourself, if you have to put others down, it says nothing about 'Haiders' , i mean 'Others'. It says a LOT about you.

Petty and shallow. 

Edited by MoronsKiMallika - 9 years ago
bips thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8
<font size="3">Sonam Kapoor Part 2!!!

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">... Don't take it so seriously, ya. I am only asking for some common sense from you. I am not asking for your mensa scores</font></font>

BTW, what the heck was "I am just taking 250rs" nonsense. am I a charity foundation?

so by your reasoning, the entire country should contribute to all your shitty movies from our hard earned money so that you can buy a Ferrari n Rolex and make even further crappy films. Edited by bips - 9 years ago
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Woah just to prove his point, he is putting down others ðŸ˜†  I don think Hirani makes morose films yet critics seem to have loved all his films till date..Same with ppl like Farhan, Ayaan, Balki or his wife..They don make morose films with poor ppl like Sid claims yet they know how to make decent/ good films unlike Sid who is a trashy director..He needs to stop generalizing( and cribbing) and focus on improving his skills ðŸ˜†
Edited by rogerrocks - 9 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Queen, SDR, HTP, HSKD- these were all liked by critics in recent times. From which angle were these sad films?  Edited by nikitagmc - 9 years ago
colossial2015 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
A case of Sour grapes 😆
KhanSinghKumar thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
now i get it why his films don't do well ðŸ˜†... so rude
unlimited_craze thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
no they won't..because frankly speaking you suck at making films..Don't take yourself so seriously,ya.Edited by unlimited_craze - 9 years ago
rogerrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
There is no film in the history of Indian cinema that has crossed 100 crores and not had mixed reviews, apart from 3 Idiots. But even 3 Idiots was given low ratings by many.

Did he actually say this? ðŸ˜† What about Barfi which got brilliant reviews yet managed to earn 100 crores? 😆
palingenesis thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Stop making films and making people including d critics morose u sorry excuse for a director! ðŸ¤¢