Pankaj Kapur talks about 'Finding Fanny', 'Haider' & Shahid Kapur

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 9 years ago

'Haider can make a difference to both Vishal and Shahid': Pankaj Kapur

August 16, 2014

For over 22 years, Pankaj Kapur has remained one of the finest actors of Indian film and television - quietly and patiently, letting his work set footprints in cinematic memory beyond the hype and hoopla. His last well remembered role would be that of Abbaji in Vishal Bharadwaj's Maqbool' in 2003.

In the interim years, Kapur has dabbled in direction (Mausam), experimental cinema (Happi and Dharm) and entertained Indian households with Office Office'.

Now, he returns with a quirky part in Finding Fanny'- as Don Pedro Cleto Colaco. Given that he is not an easy man to confess, and that sharing screen space with fellow acting legend Naseeruddin Shah is not necessarily an incentive, it mustn't have been easy for director Homi Adajania to sign him on.

"I was the last one to be cast out of the cast. Homi came to me fairly late. It's an English film, so I was a bit apprehensive about that for most of my work is in Hindustani."

Then what is it that made him take up this colorful and quirky role?

"The script was delightful. And the role that was being offered to me was completely different from anything that I've done as an actor. So that's what excited me about the part. When I went on the sets, I discovered that Homi was a very interesting director and sharp person to work with. He has come up with a very unusual story."

That Finding Fanny' is set in a milieu beyond the usual rancor of Goa, also became a draw to take up this English language film.

"To be honest, when you watch the film you will realize that most of these characters have never been portrayed on-screen before, including Deepika's and Arjun's characters. You will need to see the film to understand what kind of world do these characters exist in. I'll give you an example. A large part of the film, we shot across the creek in Goa. We used to cross over, in a large boat, including the cars. Deep down, there would be small village of 15-18 houses. And they don't want a road to be built, or a bridge to be made! They're happy in the world they are, that's their world. It's not like they don't come to work in the city. They travel by ferries, come to the other side, and love their lives in the villages. They have their own lives, and that's something Homi has captured in this film."

Given that his release will soon be followed up with son Shahid Kapur's ambitious Shakespeare inspired Haider', it was only natural to ask if he has watched it already.

"I watched the film, its most certainly a film that can make a difference to Vishal and for Shahid. They have both matured as a director and an actor. People should watch the film for the range that Shahid has as an actor."

As for future projects, Kapur has been waiting in the wings for Shuddhi', the on and off Karan Johar production to materialize. Reports suggest that he let go of other projects for the film.

"It's not completely true that I didn't do other work for Shuddhi, but it's partially true. I take work sparsely, and like to dedicate myself to a film when I am preparing for it, even though the producer or filmmaker may not ask me to work exclusively on the project."

For now, he is open to acting in any good film and for any good role, provided it excites him. Knowing Bollywood films, though, that's a tough call to make.

If Finding Fanny the Christianized version of Matru ki bijlee ka mandola??
Fanny replaces the cow here!
Originally posted by LadyDabangg

missed u ld😳
tfs
I hope haider boosts shahid career
Originally posted by addictedlove

missed u ld😳
What was your past ID??
sorry i don't remember
Originally posted by LadyDabangg

Yes, Dimple's prosthetic fanny is replacing Gulabo here: The object of Pankaj's affection. 

Originally posted by NailClipper

Yes, Dimple's prosthetic fanny is replacing Gulabo here: The object of Pankaj's affection. 

can we anticipate some twerkings or butt shakes??😳

#MKBKM reference