Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago
Myth does not necessarily mean something false. Our puranas cannot be called history, because they deal with Gods and Gods' incarnations, and history is about people.

However, myth also does not mean something false. This is the official definition of myth.

myth
miTH/
noun
  1. 1.
    a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

As you can see, myth does not mean mere fictional stories. They are traditional stories concerning the early history of people

Maybe we do not have an apt word to describe "puranas". We can call them scriptures, I guess, but the Ramayana and Mahabharata are more than scriptures. They are the word of God told through incarnations that are complex and beautiful. 

Whatever it may be, why concern ourselves with what they're called? We can't make people believe in them no matter what we call them. Belief comes from the heart, not a word.
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Hi Quietly Loud, You're bombarded today 😆😆
but welcome here

Originally posted by: QuietlyLoud

Hello everyone:) I'm new around here.Personally,I think some of the events cited in the scriptures could be true,but the use of Pushpak Viman,Vajrayudh and other supernatural weapons are meant to be taken metaphorically as in an exaggeration of a small scale event/thing and not literally.At the end of the day,it doesn't matter whether it's a myth or a history.The important part is,all religious texts are to be revered for the wisdom and rightfulness they impart rather than their literal meaning

In words of F.E Pargiter, Yoganand Mishra and SC Sarkar  in his books A.I.S.H and Educational institutions in Videha : Pushpak Viman  was a ship with sails like petals of a flower and its frontal part was carved in shape of a stag so Pushpak Viman was a reality and all 3 authors show the drawing of this ship when its sails were opened , well this drawing was their own creation based on description in Ramayana and puranas
Vajrayudha was made of bones of rishi Dadhichi ,it was the strongest weapon in that era ..That weapons were made by sharpening bones is evident in stone age; and which other super natural weapons are you taking about?
At the end of the day it does matter a lot that if our history is called as a mere belief /myth; it falsifies our identity as a nation whose history/identity is only a belief and not necessarily as truth

Edited by Maverick_me - 9 years ago
napster thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
..RamKiJanaki.. you forgot to write the other meaning of 'myth': a widely held but false belief or idea.

anyone still trying to justify Hinduism being called a myth, should also call other religions the same and on India Forums itself. funny to see Hindus themselves playing in the hands of others and putting forth ideas. no wonder supernatural showed such vile things about Kali and Ganesh. the writers knew we ourselves say they are a myth so they can get away with anything.
QuietlyLoud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
@ barbie and Maverick_me

Bible is just another scripture.Like every other religious text,a part it could be true and a part of it -a mere exaggeration of a simple event.The only difference is that, Bible being a comparatively recent work ,one could come up with more evidences to cite.Since I haven't read bible yet and not being familiar about the events mentioned in it ,I'd reserve commenting on what all could be a fact or a belief for later.

I did not say everything mentioned in scriptures are false or did not existed.At the same time,I don't consider everything true,either.For example,some places described in Mahabharata like Mathura,Vrindhavan,Dwaraka etc still exists.Same goes for many places mentioned in Ramayana.That may be considered as an evidence that scriptures are not a mere work of fiction.At the same time,no convincing evidence(like a part of the object or an authentic spoken or written account from the time)of things like Vimanas and varies types of Astras have never been found. Of course any one can easily describe how a Pushpak Vimana might have looked like or what a Vajrayudha is made of.For that one only need to refer the scriptures itself as they're explained very well there.Not any evidence is needed.

The supernatural weapons I mentioned earlier are various type of Astras .Not all astras though,I was talking specifically of those which produce a supernatural effect like a Brahmastra.

You could find many people who take scriptures for their literal meaning ,who believe every event mentioned is true.You could also find many people who consider them as just stories.I personally know a few Hindu atheists who thinks the same.Still they consider texts like Gita in high regard for the philosophy it imparts.Then there are people like me who are between these two extremes.As long as these three group of people exists,it will stay as a matter of belief to one's convenience than a fact.

P.S Thanks for the welcome.😆

Edited by QuietlyLoud - 9 years ago