5 stages of grief - and maybe a baby step towards healing..

Posted: 9 years ago
I think 'La' aka loveanime finally finally did the impossible and gave me the show back.. 🤗

I don't think anything else would have reminded me of something very special to me and given me the strength to move on and celebrate life..

This book - I cannot believe I didn't make the connect before.  This is something I have held in my hands so many times during my teen years reading again and again.. crying every time at an ending of Tamara and Rory just like RR had been making me!! So different, yet so alike! Because just like a person who watched RR simply cannot help but fall in love with Paro, no one who read this book can help themselves from falling in love with Tamara... They are NOTHING alike, Tamara is hellfire while Paro is placidity itself.. But there is a thread of purity in the two of them that just creeps in to your heart and owning it..

https://www.amazon.ca/The-Secrets-within-Emma-Darcy/dp/0778300056
I need to go home today and start reading it again..

These are the 5 stages of grief...

1. Denial and Isolation

The first reaction to learning of terminal illness or death of a cherished loved one is to deny the reality of the situation. It is a normal reaction to rationalize overwhelming emotions. It is a defense mechanism that buffers the immediate shock. We block out the words and hide from the facts. This is a temporary response that carries us through the first wave of pain.

2. Anger

As the masking effects of denial and isolation begin to wear, reality and its pain re-emerge. We are not ready. The intense emotion is deflected from our vulnerable core, redirected and expressed instead as anger. The anger may be aimed at inanimate objects, complete strangers, friends or family. Anger may be directed at our dying or deceased loved one. Rationally, we know the person is not to be blamed. Emotionally, however, we may resent the person for causing us pain or for leaving us. We feel guilty for being angry, and this makes us more angry.

Remember, grieving is a personal process that has no time limit, nor one "right" way to do it.

The doctor who diagnosed the illness and was unable to cure the disease might become a convenient target. Health professionals deal with death and dying every day. That does not make them immune to the suffering of their patients or to those who grieve for them.

Do not hesitate to ask your doctor to give you extra time or to explain just once more the details of your loved one's illness. Arrange a special appointment or ask that he telephone you at the end of his day. Ask for clear answers to your questions regarding medical diagnosis and treatment. Understand the options available to you. Take your time.

3. Bargaining

The normal reaction to feelings of helplessness and vulnerability is often a need to regain control-

• If only we had sought medical attention sooner...
  • If only we got a second opinion from another doctor...
  • If only we had tried to be a better person toward them...

Secretly, we may make a deal with God or our higher power in an attempt to postpone the inevitable. This is a weaker line of defense to protect us from the painful reality.

4. Depression

Two types of depression are associated with mourning. The first one is a reaction to practical implications relating to the loss. Sadness and regret predominate this type of depression. We worry about the costs and burial. We worry that, in our grief, we have spent less time with others that depend on us. This phase may be eased by simple clarification and reassurance. We may need a bit of helpful cooperation and a few kind words. The second type of depression is more subtle and, in a sense, perhaps more private. It is our quiet preparation to separate and to bid our loved one farewell. Sometimes all we really need is a hug.

5. Acceptance

Reaching this stage of mourning is a gift not afforded to everyone. Death may be sudden and unexpected or we may never see beyond our anger or denial. It is not necessarily a mark of bravery to resist the inevitable and to deny ourselves the opportunity to make our peace. This phase is marked by withdrawal and calm. This is not a period of happiness and must be distinguished from depression.

Loved ones that are terminally ill or aging appear to go through a final period of withdrawal. This is by no means a suggestion that they are aware of their own impending death or such, only that physical decline may be sufficient to produce a similar response. Their behavior implies that it is natural to reach a stage at which social interaction is limited. The dignity and grace shown by our dying loved ones may well be their last gift to us.

Coping with loss is a ultimately a deeply personal and singular experience " nobody can help you go through it more easily or understand all the emotions that you're going through. But others can be there for you and help comfort you through this process. The best thing you can do is to allow yourself to feel the grief as it comes over you. Resisting it only will prolong the natural process of healing.

Reading La's post I realized that I was walking along this path unknowingly.. I needed help to get over this loss. Because I am also grieving her like a real person..

1. I went through disbelief - mocked it when it first came - I honest to god thought it was a joke! Denied it till I could as hard as I could..

2. I went through anger, fury like I had never felt before - I screamed sometimes in the anger I felt at what was coming

3. Then I went through bargaining stage - I was ready for any straws to clutch at, at any illogical reasoning as long as I get to keep her breathing..

I again reverted back to denial - I refused to watch the new episode.. I instead had a marathon of RR from during the days when she stood in the rain doing penance and the set of episodes about her trying to convince him of her love.. it was a good way to battle the grief.. For moments at a time i managed to forget.. and breath easily..
I wrote a lot - tried to give myself a closure I could accept, watched those last happy memories so many times just to convince myself that it ended right there.

4. Last two days I have been depressed like I had been just one single time before in life, but its even more deeper this time I guess.. Just a while back I was crying locked in the bathroom at the office.. which is my rational mind says is ridiculous.. but the reality was I was weeping silently.
I love chocolates..in fact I am a serious chocoholic...but I couldn't touch a single one standing right there on my table beside my laptop because I remembered Paro's first time eating a chocolate in that Jaipur hotel room.. I just put them away..

Only good thing I did was I didn't close up.. I am lucky that I have a few incredible people in my life, they might be people I met online, but people I consider as my family. Jaya di thank you for these words -

"Remember, grieving is a personal process that has no time limit, nor one "right" way to do it." You saying it again and again along with trying to get me out of the rut i was in you also told it was ok to grieve..this was there in my subconscious mind.. Because even today morning when I woke up before everything I read what u had left me to read after I had gone off again last night.. I love you 🤗

And Dia di! thank you so much too! Both of you were there every single time I went railing against it in anger.. 🤗

And Anisha di - thank you for being there to talk, to share this grief.. It meant a lot to me! 🤗

The support the 3 of you has given this crazy girl cannot be quantified! I love you all so much! 🤗

5. Acceptance - I think, a baby step has been kept.. a shaky, very wobbly first step...
It was this post here which helped me and triggered that final stage.. - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4116598

So I don't know how long this will take.. but i feel peace, a little bit of peace.. I just might watch that episode tonight..
I still love Paro so much that it hurts.. I will still cry for her... miss her every day for a very long time to come.. I might even still be slightly depressed...
I am still angry too... there is still that hollow empty place left inside me which nothing will fill.. And there will come times when I wanna curl up in to a ball and wail..  But there is a gift in acceptance.. as the above explanations have said..

I don't know if this is a good thing I did by sharing this. Because for some it may seem ridiculous and you may laugh at me for caring so much for something that wasn't real... But this is actually for the ones like Sona di, Zee, Babyji, -Zara-, Sajni, Jas to name a few who just like me are grieving.. and because i know how they must be feeling.. So this is my gift to you..
So just maybe you will manage to embark on your own journey of healing too...Take care🤗

I might not be around till late evening to reply if anyone thinks this post deserves a reply.. So just bear with me!

Edited by princessunara - 9 years ago
This is a very nice post. The different stages which you have described and have been gone through, I can very much understand your pain as I'm still not mentally prepared to accept that Paro has actually died.

1. I went through disbelief - mocked it when it first came - I honest to god thought it was a joke! Denied it till I could as hard as I could..

TBH, I used to laugh reading about the articles of leads dying in other serials and always believed that Rangrasiya will never show any such kind of thing. When this news of Paro dying first started to float around, I never believed in it and thought it to be false. And when I got to know about Paro dying, I just couldn't believe it. I reassured myself that, maybe, they might really not show Paro dying and thought that how could the CV's be so careless to leak the news of Paro's death before it would actually air.

2. I went through anger, fury like I had never felt before - I screamed sometimes in the anger I felt at what was coming.

Well, after I got to know that they had performed Paro's last rights I couldn't help but become angry with the CV's as I realized that all my hopes of Paro's survival had been crushed.

3. Then I went through bargaining stage - I was ready for any straws to clutch at, at any illogical reasoning as long as I get to keep her breathing..

I just wanted the CV's to bring Paro back at any cost. Even though the reason maybe illogical I would still accept it as long as Paro won't die. 

I again reverted back to denial - I refused to watch the new episode.. I instead had a marathon of RR from during the days when she stood in the rain doing penance and the set of episodes about her trying to convince him of her love.. it was a good way to battle the grief.. For moments at a time i managed to forget.. and breath easily..
I wrote a lot - tried to give myself a closure I could accept, watched those last happy memories so many times just to convince myself that it ended right there.

After all this, I just decided that I will consider the further episodes as season 2 and will remember that PaRud lived happily ever after with their child Dhruv. And  that the season 2 will show a new character Rudra, who has a son and who dearly loved his wife who died because of some mishap but they are in no way related to the Paro and Rudra of 1st season .

4. Last two days I have been depressed like I had been just one single time before in life, but its even more deeper this time I guess.. Just a while back I was crying locked in the bathroom at the office.. which is my rational mind says is ridiculous.. but the reality was I was weeping silently.

Even though I imagine it as a different story, but the flashbacks and image of Paro doesn't help me move on.
Although, I'm happy that they show Rudra thinking and talking about Paro and they didn't completely exclude Paro from the story and didn't show Rudra move on by giving the reason #suchislife.

5. Acceptance - I think, a baby step has been kept.. a shaky, very wobbly first step...

Finally, I lost all hopes of Paro being alive. I'm really trying to accept all this mess. 

But then I read the post below and again developed a little hope that maybe, just maybe, the CV's are making us accept Myrah and then give us a pleasant surprise by showing Myrah as Paro.
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4115660

One side of my mind tell's me to never trust the CV's again while the other side doesn't lose hope. Urgh!!!
And I really want to say one thing: Since when did the Indian serials started being based on real life. Rangrasiya was unique and the only Indian show I watch. But we all know that there were some times when the tracks made no sense and weren't close to reality. Although, we didn't like those tracks, we still saw Rangrasiya for PaRud. At those times we didn't tell the CV's that #suchisn'tlife. Hence, when did they started showing us such a harsh reality of life by killing one of the main characters upon the life of which Rangrasiya was based. And then they gave us the famous reason #suchislife. Frankly, if the story was based on the bitter realities of life and if they had told this from the start and if they hadn't convinced us to believe that PaRud ca not seperate, we wouldn't have been this much in denial as we are now.
Sorry, for all my rambling but I really wanted to say this. And Sunara, if I can call you that, thank you for such a nice post. :)
Edited by ARHIFAIRYTALE - 9 years ago
Sunara beautiful post! U know I don't know wer I am ! I always feel this siniking feeling in my heart whenever I think of RR! :( Sanaya and Ashish are awesome and I want to watch for them, but it hurts that they killed paro n my PaRud :(
Sunara thank you ! From the bottom if my heart. Love you loads
Aww sunara honey🤗. Welcome back. We are all in the same boat like you.
I am curently watching the soap for Sanish but am hoping Mrrah turns out to be Paro and will continue to watch till RR ends.
I just realised that I've been through all those stages. In entering stage 5 though it still hurts to not see Paro. I just keep reminding myself that this is Season 2 and Paro was part of Season 1 which ended with Parud and their little babies who lived happily ever after. This is a brand new show with new characters.
You have so read my mind sis. 
These stages are exactly what I'm going through too. Even though I have been forcfully keeping RR off my mind due to Paro's death I feel miserable. I truely haven't even eaten properly. I thought maybe it's just because Ramadan's passed which is why I'm not in the mood to eat, but if I think about it, it must be because I feel miserable about Paro. Even though I cautiously hope that Myrah is actually Paro my logical side tells me 'are you kidding. You want to put your faith in those CV's again!?' It's a horrible feeling.

When Myrah made an entry yesterday I'll be honest I love Sanaya to bits so she looked fabulous, but deep down my heart weeped that this is the character that Mukta et al is going to try and replace Paro with. So I feel like I hate Myrah when I really don't. It's so weird. If I didn't watch RR from the beginning and watched from now I probably would have loved Myrah full heartedly. But having that connection with Paro and OH GOSH Dhruv scenes make me weep more as he reminds me so much of Paro. I wonder if Dhruv will stay under the illusion that Myrah is Paro and when Rudra and Myah are a couple then he find out Myrah isn't and totally hates Rudra for betraying Paro. Children can think like that. 

I totally have nothing against Myrah. She's a fab charatcer but I just feel sad that the CV's didn't think once that from the beginning they've been emphisizing how Rudra and Paro are made for eachother and now that want us to love Rudra/Myrah jodi. I mean WE'RE NOT TOYS THAT CAN FLIP A HEART/LOYALTY SWITCH TO THEIR WHIMS. 

*Sigh*

This is a tough time for all of us sis as I look for Paro in Myrah just so I can reassure myself that I can continue to watch and maybe somehow the CV's could make Myrah=Paro. 

*weeping hugs*
Sunara, you know I'll always be there for you  - that's what family is about whether it's real or virtual - hell  I spend more time online with you than I do in reality with my own daughter😊.
I'm just happy that you didn't close yourself up and you're finding your way out of your grief and don't worry about those who don't understand what you're feeling - it's not about them. Watch the show when you're ready and Sanaya as Myrah will help you heal. You know that on Tuesday night I didn't even want to acknowledge Myrah but she stole my heart in one episode...probably a large part of that is because like you I'm a Sanaya phanki 😆 but honestly though Myrah also seems to have Paro's pure heart and innocence even though she's more worldly. Also watch for Dhruv because he is the essence of Paro and will never let her die in the show. 
Love you baby and you know where to find me if you need me🤗
Beautiful post. You opened your heart here. 👍🏼
Sunara...thank you my dear for this post...I have, as all of us, gone through all these stages & am at the door of acceptance ( because I don't have any other choice ) but this is the DOOR  that's the most difficult to open...I never really knew what Paro meant to me until she was no more...there have been many a times that I have cribbed about her but now I realise WHAT she meant to me...I take all my cribbings back...I have this continuos sinking feeling in me & many a times I think of YOU ( did it this morning too after I woke up ) because i know , you for sure, would be going through the same  as me...
You are again so right about everyone dealing with their pain in their own way...as for me, I can't BEAR to see old videos or picture of Parud because that makes me even more MISERABLE . I watched last night's episode & by the end of it I was trembling & crying...The grief of Paro was all over ,in Rudra & in Dhruv . @Zara@ Jazz@ Arhifairytale...reading your comments ,I felt that you have been a witness to my pain & that's why you all have written EXACTLY the way I feel.
Hope events could turn out in a way that Myrah turns out to be Paro...this ,in no way, be a hinderence in fetching trps...& I don't think that's asking too much...we have grown up on fairy tales , let this one time be a fairy tale from Rajasthan ...
Loads of positivity to all of us because we certainly NEED it ...