which movie deserves Oscar nomination? - Page 5

Poll Question :

Which Indian movie deserves Oscar nomination?

Poll Choice
Rang De Basanti
Omkara
LRMB
Krissh
Gangster
Fanaa
KANK
15 Park Avenue
Login To Vote
Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by lighthouse

Exactly......

Movie preference is very subjective and personal and we are not talking about which movie is better but which movie appeals more to the Oscar jury and has a better chance of bringing the statue home..

Have'nt seen yet LRMB, heard it's good.

Taking about RDB, Violence/non-violence, I guess is not a factor to have a great impact on the jury. If we see some recent oscar-winning foreign films "Crouching tiger...."( all fighting), "No man's land"(it scored over "Lagaan" based on Bosnia-Serb war plot), "No where in Africa"( Nazi era), I think it's the quality of art that matters.

At least in one area RDB will score over LRMB, that's music and the way music has been used in RDB as background music most of the time that too in part. Music is not the focus of a scene, it just complements the scene. I have seen promos of LRMB, there are all full length songs- which might not be appealing to the western audience. They lack our  sense of music and Indian humour.  

Originally posted by Pradarshak

At least in one area RDB will score over LRMB, that's music and the way music has been used in RDB as background music most of the time that too in part. Music is not the focus of a scene, it just complements the scene. I have seen promos of LRMB, there are all full length songs- which might not be appealing to the western audience. They lack our  sense of music and Indian humour. 

agree with u.

Originally posted by Pradarshak

Taking about RDB, Violence/non-violence, I guess is not a factor to have a great impact on the jury. If we see some recent oscar-winning foreign films "Crouching tiger...."( all fighting), "No man's land"(it scored over "Lagaan" based on Bosnia-Serb war plot), "No where in Africa"( Nazi era), I think it's the quality of art that matters.

Crouching Tiger was very different movie altogether. Haven't seen the others mentioned.

I don't think the entertainment industry in the west relates violence with India as much as they do with Gandhi, Yoga, Spirituality, Music, Colorful women etc.

As for the music in Indian films, not sure if they edit out songs for Oscar jury but I can't imagine them sitting for 3.5 hrs watching Devdas.!!!! Bombay Dreams coulnd't run on Broadway for more then 7-8 months.

Personaly I don't think getting Oscar is a big deal for Indian movies but it does wonders for the bussiness and the bottom line so it is important for the makers of the movie.

Edited by lighthouse - 17 years ago

'Rang De' vs 'Water' at Oscars
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 05:23:09 pm

The awards ceremony in Los Angeles on the 25th of February will indeed be an affair for India to watch out for. It's a heady mix of Indian entries at this years academy awards. Rakesh Om Prakash Mehra's 'Rang De Basanti' and India born filmmaker Deepa Mehta's 'Water', competing against each other in the best foreign film category.

Ironically, 'Rang De' -- an Indian film, patriotic to the core, which is the country's official entry to this year's Oscars is pitted against Canada's official entry 'Water', a movie that many, in fact believe, is even more Indian than the one India has chosen to represent itself.

And while India is all excited about the Aamir Khan starrer, 'Water' could prove to be formidable competition. For now, however, the bonhomie between the two camps is palpable.

Commenting on his film against Aamir's at the Oscars, John Abraham avers:" It is strange that my film is against Aamir's in Oscars, I am pro 'Rang De' and I am happy that the movie has been chosen to represent India. I just hope that both the films are in the top 4-5."

John's confidence is not without reason. For one, Canada's official entry is a Hindi-language film, set in the Hindu holy town of Varanasi and deals with the travails of a group of Indian widows and has just the right amount of subtlety and underlying tones as compared to Rang De Basanti's relatively over-the-top formula, which might be popular with the Indian audiences, but might not suit the tastes of an international audience, known to have strong leanings towards more subtle messages.

Aamir Khan though begs to differ. He avers;"One way or the other, I don't think so. At the end of the day, members do watch lot of films. The committee continuously watch films in language, which they don't understand, they might not even tell one language from the other. What they are really concerned is the storyline of the movie and how well it connects with the audience and the sub-titiles, which convey the film."

"Water' has not yet released in India, but it has grossed more dollars in North America than the earnings of Rang De Basanti. Besides, it also won rave reviews at international festivals.

For now, the main cause for concern for the Rang De Basanti team, however, should be the fact that Fox-Searchlight has already roped in a major international PR agency to look after the entire Oscar publicity and marketing for Water. And considering the run-up to the Oscars is the most crucial part, maybe it would be a good idea for the Indian entrant to focus on their marketing and PR strategy.

Edited by Rajeev Ki Heer - 17 years ago
Originally posted by lighthouse

Crouching Tiger was very different movie altogether. Haven't seen the others mentioned. It had lot of action(those flying stunts stunned the world).

I don't think the entertainment industry in the west relates violence with India as much as they do with Gandhi, Yoga, Spirituality, Music, Colorful women etc. I hope the whole world is aware of the fact that South-East Asia is one of the most disturbed, corrupted place right now, that includes India. Popular movies like Salaam Bombay, City of Joy - tell different story altogether- violence, poverty and corruption.

As for the music in Indian films, not sure if they edit out songs for Oscar jury but I can't imagine them sitting for 3.5 hrs watching Devdas.!!!! Bombay Dreams coulnd't run on Broadway for more then 7-8 months. For "Lagaan" they did not edit a single song.

Personaly I don't think getting Oscar is a big deal for Indian movies but it does wonders for the bussiness and the bottom line so it is important for the makers of the movie. To a person related to this field(director/producer/actor/team), it boosts and gives lot of creative satisfaction. As a NRI, of course I would feel proud if my country gets an award. If I were in India don't know if it would have the been same for me. I surely would have been curious though.

Edited by Pradarshak - 17 years ago