Denizens of Bolly Vs Denizens of telly - Page 5

Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by Maninie Mishra

People come to me and compliment my hubby

This is called hypocrisy..On Kandy Floss,she said something else..It sounded more as though she was mocking those who adore Mihir

In television,things work in a different way,and the importance on glamour and figure is not all that much.It hardly matters if one is married or not,especially for woman,because we have Gauri Pradhan,Shwetha Kawaatra etc working even after marriage...But how many bollywood heroines do we see working after marriage..Sridevi,Madhuri,Sonali Bendre etc quit....

Women married to television actors shouldnt be comparing themselves with bollywood star wives...Because,in bollywood,once a woman gets married,their career is almost over...Kajol is an exception,but even then,how many movies does Kajol do...1 in 4 years..whereas we have Poonam Narula and Smrithi Irani working after their delivery....Because as I said,in television,being married or not being married doent matter.....

But even then,once a woman gets married,the options of her co-stars decreases..Gauri Pradhan has been working only with Hiten Tejwani(infact the audience want to watch only them),Shilpa Saklani has a co-star in Sahil,but she has been playing that role for aeons...Whereas the other married ladies are either typecast as vamps,or are given the behenji roles....AND since Sri and MAdhuri wouldnt agree to do the behenji roles,they retire

and another thing is,in bolly,marriage never creates even a single ripple in the world of the male stars,but for the female stars,their entire world changes...WHy is it that Ash,Bips etc are still not married..because once they marry,they need to hang their boots,and who wouldnt want moneyπŸ˜›

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
Well, what I read through ( it would fill up next two whole pages if I sit and quote πŸ˜† ), the gist that i got is this: Bollywood stars get written about. And tellwood stars get people to write about them.

True. And there lies the difference. And that is all I am trying to say. Telly stars put in 4 times the hard work, with perhaps 10th of the money, and today if they have any takers because people want to know about them.

SRK was my first tele star craze when I was in school. I wanted to find out everything that I could about him. But there was no one, absolutely no one who would write about the tele stars then. SRK did not give interviews because no one would write about him, and they did not until Deewana happened. No one was interested in Gauri Khan, until Darr became a household name.Perhaps the most popular ones did get written about here and there, but no one really went after them, barring a few one off interviews doordarshan would air about them. Parmeet Sethi was perhaps the most handsome and talented actor ever on Indian TV, but he came at a time when though television regularly dealt with adult subjects and real life characters, they were not considered a news material.That is why today's generation knows absolutely nothing about some great television actors of the past. Yet Bollywood was all over the media and still is. Inspite of the huge coverage they get, these bollystars still do things in public that would put so many to shame.

As for tele stars, if they don't project themselves,they simply stop existing in the public memory once the serial slides from a trp chart. Also, today's tele stars have become media savvy, they have started adopting the tricks that till date was used only by the bolly stars. I have seen the kind of craze Sharad Kelkar can have in parts of US, or a Hiten Gauri pair can have. In fact, today, some of the stars have almost as parallel a popularity as a good bolly stars. Some stars will always be more popular than others. Abhishek will draw more crowd anyday than a Fardeen Khan,SRK will make a head away when it comes to comparison with any star today. So comparing them to the telly stars is like comparing apples to oranges.

Tele stars do not compare themselves to any bolly star. They have simply carved a niche for themselves. They prat, they preen, the patter, they cling because there is someone who is going to print about it.

For ages the 'wood' industry all over the world made a line popular ' any publicity is good publicity'. Tele stars have realised it and now they are making the full use of it. Edited by Minnie - 17 years ago
Originally posted by Buffie

OMG,this has so gone so farπŸ˜²πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒ ..I missed all this

and welcome lashy,to DMπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†...

*sigh* *sigh* tsk tsk what you girls are capable of!!!!!!!!!! one must learn never to underestimate you... 😭

Edited by lashforever - 17 years ago
Originally posted by lashforever

*sigh* *sigh* tsk tsk what you girls are capable of!!!!!!!!!! one must learn never to underestimate you... 😭

tsk tsk....i agree with you lashy πŸ˜†
to be honest there r some SUPERB actors on TV who r very dedicated to wards teh craft of acting.
The problem with TV is tht only Ekta's stupid soaps sell, so none of these classy actors actually manage to shine thru'....

Let's take for eg. Aamir BHashir---I knw most of the ppl here dont even knw who the hell he is---WHY? Coz he nvr did an EK soap. BUt he's a fantastic actor. His work in Alpaviram was superb n his small stint in Time Bomb was a treat to watch.
Another eg. Rajeev Khandelwal. I personally think he's a superb actor n can potentially be calld the msot versatile on TV coz he nvr stuck to playing the typical guy frm Balaji soaps.
Pawan Shankar is another example of a dignified n versatile actor (how i lvoe him for rejecting sujal's role! 😳 )

Eijaz, Iqbal n Ronit r gr8 actors no doubt but they r all so monotonous.....IQbal gives the same expressions n the same dialouges in KYPH n KAA. (Btw, Ronit, Eijaz n IQ r all bollywood rejects) I often feel they waste their talent by clinging on to Ekta's pallooo.
Hiten is perhaps THE MOST MONOTONOUS of all.....honestly, all he does is cry, cry n cry even more....it's like torture to watch him nowadays on Kyunki n KYPH.

As for the females...there's a lot of talent out there but none of them seem bollywood material. Aamna Shariff is good looking but wayyyyyy to obsessed with her looks n at times seems very materialistic.....smriti is a gr8 actress but for obvious reasons wont fit in2 b'wood (pun intended). Niki aneja wont do films coz of ehr family ties....the list goes on.

Most of the 'famous' ppl on TV, I feel r solely driven by the love for money rather than the lvoe for the craft of acting which explains why they stick to nonsense shows lik KYPH, Kyunki, KAA etc. Being in b'wood requires tht drive n passion for cinema lik wht Amir n Hrithik have...n telly actors dont have it or have rather lost it in this race for TRP's.

Originally posted by breathing_irony

to be honest there r some SUPERB actors on TV who r very dedicated to wards teh craft of acting.
The problem with TV is tht only Ekta's stupid soaps sell, so none of these classy actors actually manage to shine thru'....

Let's take for eg. Aamir BHashir---I knw most of the ppl here dont even knw who the hell he is---WHY? Coz he nvr did an EK soap. BUt he's a fantastic actor. His work in Alpaviram was superb n his small stint in Time Bomb was a treat to watch.
Another eg. Rajeev Khandelwal. I personally think he's a superb actor n can potentially be calld the msot versatile on TV coz he nvr stuck to playing the typical guy frm Balaji soaps.
Pawan Shankar is another example of a dignified n versatile actor (how i lvoe him for rejecting sujal's role! 😳 )

Eijaz, Iqbal n Ronit r gr8 actors no doubt but they r all so monotonous.....IQbal gives the same expressions n the same dialouges in KYPH n KAA. (Btw, Ronit, Eijaz n IQ r all bollywood rejects) I often feel they waste their talent by clinging on to Ekta's pallooo.
Hiten is perhaps THE MOST MONOTONOUS of all.....honestly, all he does is cry, cry n cry even more....it's like torture to watch him nowadays on Kyunki n KYPH.

As for the females...there's a lot of talent out there but none of them seem bollywood material. Aamna Shariff is good looking but wayyyyyy to obsessed with her looks n at times seems very materialistic.....smriti is a gr8 actress but for obvious reasons wont fit in2 b'wood (pun intended). Niki aneja wont do films coz of ehr family ties....the list goes on.

Most of the 'famous' ppl on TV, I feel r solely driven by the love for money rather than the lvoe for the craft of acting which explains why they stick to nonsense shows lik KYPH, Kyunki, KAA etc. Being in b'wood requires tht drive n passion for cinema lik wht Amir n Hrithik have...n telly actors dont have it or have rather lost it in this race for TRP's.

Great analysis !!!πŸ‘

The thing is, very few can actually make it big in bollywood, and it would take them years. Even an actor like Irfan, who had every possible thing that was needed to make it big in bollywood never could make the cut. It does take a lot of luck, money, and sometimes contacts to get into the bollywood fold. Not every good actor, no matter how great looking and talented has made it. The topmost example that comes to my mind is Kumar gaurav. Drop dead good looks, fabulously talented, rich and resourceful filmy background.......he had everything that he needed yet this is one guy who just could not make it.

So today, many of these actors, though they could be really good but never make the cut for various reasons. And telewood gives them the chance. Ekta Kapoor's serials are like viruses, they have taken over the Indian tv and actors have few choice to survive. So those who need the security have strated treating it like an office job rather than a craft they want to take forward.

For example, Hiten - I beleive he has the potential to be a great actor. He was priceless in Kutumbh, and yet it's difficult to beleive it's the same guy in Kyunki.

Originally posted by Minnie

So today, many of these actors, though they could be really good but never make the cut for various reasons. And telewood gives them the chance. Ekta Kapoor's serials are like viruses, they have taken over the Indian tv and actors have few choice to survive. So those who need the security have strated treating it like an office job rather than a craft they want to take forward.

For example, Hiten - I beleive he has the potential to be a great actor. He was priceless in Kutumbh, and yet it's difficult to beleive it's the same guy in Kyunki.

Exactly! N for tht the audience is to blame to an extent. I dont understand why the hell can't ppl stop watching Kyunki, KZK---is it tht hard? Only if pl stop watching those shows willl ppl lik EK realise tht quality is needed. ONly when tv prod's strive for quality can the best of out of the actors be derived.

Hiten was gr8 in Kutumb coz Kutumb at tht time was a fresh concept.....but 'Karan' frm Kyunki is nothing but pig-headed n the story is jsut ridiculous.

As for luck needed to make it in B'wood....I'm a  very strong beliver of the phrase: the harder u practice the luckier u get! The harder TV actors work towards improving their acting, the luckier they will get.

I guess one more problem is tht some big filmakers lik KJ, Rakesh Roshan, Yash Chopra alwys use the same actors (SRK, rani, preity). They nvr give a chance to a TV Actor. Infact, SRK got Darr only coz no one else was there to do it after Aamir refused it. To be a good actor is one nothing, but to have a good director to extract the best out of u is another matter altogether.