Bad handwriting. A hindrance in success?

Posted: 17 years ago

I have a good hand writing since I was a child {thanks to my parents} and normally I do write pretty well.. but I have an illegible handwriting in exams…Reason: My hands start sweating badly when I am nervous.  I even sometimes can't hold my pen properly! A tissue box is must for me.

For this I even suffered from one mark lose in Biology in my 10th grade securing 2nd position in the subject and lost 2nd position in class. The unknown marking teacher wrote at my answer sheet:

"Illegible handwriting" and he put a [-1] for that.😡

I asked myself: Is my knowledge more important or my presentation? I am quite able to do best in my subject, why is my handwriting being a hindrance.🤔 

Once my niece took up a paper where her friend had written something. Her friend is one of the best student of her school but she suffers from bad handwriting. One of our Uncle glanced at the paper and said: What a bad handwriting!? Ur friend is so illiterate.😕

Ur comments.

Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago
If bad handwriting was really an hinderance, the in reality all doctors would be out of job by now... 😉

Kyun Dr Abhi?? Edited by Minnie - 17 years ago
Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Who me? What are you talking about? I cannot tell. I am new in this town.

😆 so maryam, i guess you got the answer 😉....
Originally posted by MNMS

I have a good hand writing since I was a child {thanks to my parents} and normally I do write pretty well.. but I have an illegible handwriting in exams…Reason: My hands start sweating badly when I am nervous.  I even sometimes can't hold my pen properly! A tissue box is must for me.

Oh my,It happens to me too..Especially in exam halls which are badly ventilated,or when the subject is  an arduous one or if the paper is complex.....

In my school handwriting was given the paramount importance..Our junior school teachers were so particular about handwriting( and cursive at that)...🤢...I couldnt write neatly for nuts,and the teacher used to hit me on my knuckles😡😭...and inorder to write neatly,I started writing so darkly with the pencil,infact I used to thrust the pencil on the paper so hard,that the impression would be imprinted till the thrid page😆..and that happens even now when I use a pen...I've had some of the worst experiences over this stooopid handwriting issue 🤢..and over that I have my mother,who never tired of reiterating that "The teacher would feel like reading your paper if your handwriting is nice..especially when the teacher is in a good mood,you would get brownie points for a impeccable handwriting..All this adds to your personality"...

For this I even suffered from one mark lose in Biology in my 10th grade securing 2nd position in the subject and lost 2nd position in class. The unknown marking teacher wrote at my answer sheet:

"Illegible handwriting" and he put a [-1] for that.😡

You guys are lucky to get to see your paper..In the ICSE and then CBSE boards,we dont get to see our papers😕...and worse is that in the 10th  we dont even get individual marks for each science....we get a score for science,which is the average of P,C and B....and similarly,histroy and geography together is called "Social science"..thus we neither get to see our papers,nor get to know the individual scores🤢

I asked myself: Is my knowledge more important or my presentation? I am quite able to do best in my subject, why is my handwriting being a hindrance.🤔 

trust me,Handwriting isnt a hindrance after the primary school😛...Heck,after the 9th grade,handwriting matters naught...As then I wouldnt have scored anything close to what I did all my life😆

Once my niece took up a paper where her friend had written something. Her friend is one of the best student of her school but she suffers from bad handwriting. One of our Uncle glanced at the paper and said: What a bad handwriting!? Ur friend is so illiterate.😕

Sorry,but your uncle was stupid to say that..Some of the most learned people I have met have the most deplorable handwriting(some doctors for example....Cant even guess what they scribble in the prescriptions😆)..and how really does handwriting matter in today's age..I mean,everything is computerized,and as long as a person's english grammar is fine,I think handwriting isnt a hindrance

[Quote=Abhijit shukla]First, I am glad for your penpersonship and admire your willinglenss to give credit to parents but try hard as they can, parents cannot influence hand writings. They are innate to your nature just like your gait or your smile or your pronounciations. Everyone is wired uniquely. Otherwise all children of the same parents would have same quality handwritings[/quote]

Wht i wanted to say was that my parents worked hard on improving my writing by making me practise, practise and practise. But sweaty hands prevented me to deliver my best.

The Biology test was just an example from one of the incidents to illustrate my point.. 😊

The point of typing more and writing less is the most significant one here.. when we don't have to write that much why to pay so much emphasis on handwriting that it turns out of proportion and makes student life difficult {im talking abt school life... as Buffie said after school it just doesn't matter.}.. So it should be totally OUT of one of the parameters of marking!!

Originally posted by Buffie

MNMS= I have a good hand writing since I was a child {thanks to my parents} and normally I do write pretty well.. but I have an illegible handwriting in exams…Reason: My hands start sweating badly when I am nervous.  I even sometimes can't hold my pen properly! A tissue box is must for me.

Oh my,It happens to me too..Especially in exam halls which are badly ventilated,or when the subject is  an arduous one or if the paper is complex.....

In my school handwriting was given the paramount importance..Our junior school teachers were so particular about handwriting( and cursive at that)...🤢...I couldnt write neatly for nuts,and the teacher used to hit me on my knuckles😡😭...and inorder to write neatly,I started writing so darkly with the pencil,infact I used to thrust the pencil on the paper so hard,that the impression would be imprinted till the thrid page😆..and that happens even now when I use a pen [/quote]

Same case here... my school was full of "Good handwriting admirers".... so much importance...esp teachers.. so so so particular that it was impossible to please them🤢... even i started writing so hard that my hand hurts.. and impression is beyond 3 pgs😆😆

i dont even know if i deserve to talk about handwriting... 😆

my handwriting has always been legible. but if you were to give me marks based on aesthetic handwriting, on a scale of ten.............. well, you would give me A MINUS TEN. 😆

my school teachers and professors in college always considered me to be very unique... my handwriting made me unique..... i.e. worst in the class. 😃 nevertheless, i managed to pass school and college with good grades.

good (read neat and legible, no emphasis on aesthetics) handwriting is always a plus. you are not expected to do calligraphy on your answer sheets.

Edited by NNGAL - 17 years ago
NNGAL .. Welcome to DM 😊 Enjoy the debates hereEdited by MNMS - 17 years ago
NO!

As it is with the advent of computers, our handwriting has become less of a necessity. Handwriting has become a thing of past.
Hi Friends!!!
My handwriting is good 😳 that's what crores of people have been saying to me right from  my 4th standard.Prior to that my hand writing was horrible(it seems!!!).Good Hand writing comes by practice its in our own hands.We cannot change the fate written by God (this is all what people say) but we can change our handwriting(I say this ).
However back to the topic.Handwriting should'nt play key role in deciding the marks,grades of the student.Only a foolish teacher/lecturer/Professor cuts marks for handwriting.I never cut marks for handwriting may be I may award atleast half mark more for good answer+good hand writing+neat work.

People who don't have good hand writing keep on shouting that handwriting is not at all important😡.They must be jealous of other's handwriting or should've got frustrated by their own handwriting.
Good handwriting adds beauty to the script.
with best wishes.
Mythili
Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago