Plus sized women should only wear Sari's - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago
I was surfing the net and I came acorss these comments by Fashion Designer  Tarun Tahiliani:

"Plus-sized women should just wear a sari,' he says dismissively. Honestly, they could never look as good in a Versace as a slender woman would. Another common mistake they do is they dress in tight clothes, which accentuate their bulges. It looks rather ugly,' "

After reading these comments  I would like to ask  Do you agree?  In society where we are seeing anorexia and actresses and models being too skinny becoming huge probelmsand teenage girls suffering from poor body image, do such reckless comments by designers only add to the pressure for women to look a certain way and to feel ashamed instead of celebarting their bodies?

As a designer as his profession I think it's not big deal if he gives any tips/suggestion/statement ……..to take it or not is totally upto us people. I have seen some plus-size women (Indian too) in tight clothes, short skirts, and not all, but the ones who know how to carry themselves and have good dressing sense they look really presentable and decent. I have a friend who is plus size and she is very much into fashion. She wears anything a slim lady would wear and look as decent as them. I would say she has great taste and her dressing sense is very good including her accessories ….so if you can carry yourself well I don't think one looks ugly. So long story short..NO I don't agree with him.

It is sad to see teenage girls suffering from poor body image, but then who said life is fair?
Plus sized means overweight? Is it? πŸ˜•
Originally posted by SolidSnake

Plus sized means overweight? Is it? πŸ˜•

Yes, deepak....these plp from west know best how to use polite and sophisticated words and now our freinds from hindustan also love to use their skill of using polished wordsπŸ˜†

i disagree with the fashion designer...there are many plus sized women n look very good in clothes besides sari's...i think he is very rude with that statement...and there are many women that can carry off designer labels even if they are plus size!...

PS:it is ppl like you in our world that make plus size a bad thing...and ppl are inconfident!😑

Edited by Krishana Tulsi - 17 years ago

Originally posted by sowmyaa

Yes, deepak....these plp from west know best how to use polite and sophisticated words and now our freinds from hindustan also love to use their skill of using polished wordsπŸ˜†

Oh no, Tarun Tahiliani khuda kitna slim hai...πŸ˜†

A well tailored salwar kameez is the best..!!!!! Exposing muffin top midriff probably not a good idea IMHO.

Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Imagine Oprah in a sari.

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Actually Oprah did try Sari when Aishwarya was on her show.. Ash was doing TV rounds when she was the flavor of the week in Hollywood.

Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Would any designer ever dare to say that plus size men should only wear dhotis? If one did, would anyone listen?

Sumo wrestlers in Dhoti would be an amazing sight

Wow! I would like to add fuel to this fire by asking why is it only women have to be appropriate and look quote unquote good in western wear. We dont hear anyone saying men with all those awful bulges shouls tick to kurta pyjama. Frankly watching a obese guy in dress pants and shirts tucked in looks far more awful than obese women in western waer at least we have curves to soften them out!
i think fat women can were anything if it isnt to trappy