Music then vs Music now...what happened?

Sharpay.Evans thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
The content of this post has been Hidden by User.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.ProperPatola thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I really don't understand why people say we don't have good music now. I am sure each era had mix of crappy and amazing songsand music...I know our era has crappy raps and sexist songs...but Why do we ignore such soulful and beautiful songs we have today.

Especially last year, albums of Lootera, BMB, Ranjanna, A2, Many of Rahat's songs, are just wonderful. Or even from mid 2000s, songs from veer zara, KHNH, MNIK, etc...Each decade has different flavours of music and it keeps changing and people's taste too. And this doesn't mean I don't love old songs...I love 90s songs, We had lovely melodies. ..and the ones from earlier decades... 
Edited by .ProperPatola. - 9 years ago
KuKKad_MalHOTra thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Each era has the good, the bad and the shit!
You feel the old music was good because you only listen to the good songs. Sometimes, I hear some old songs on the radio and wonder, W*F is playing. There were really really bad songs too in olden days.
Same way, in this decade, there are some really good songs and there are some really shit songs. But 30 years from now, we will remember this era for the nice songs, because hey! nobody likes to pull up shitty songs from the history.😆
They say 80s music was horrible. But when I ask my Dad, he says it was a rage at that time, you know wearing bell bottoms and dancing to disco songs.😆 
Sharpay.Evans thumbnail

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
Sharpay.Evans thumbnail

[HIDDEN CONTENT]
KuKKad_MalHOTra thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
^^^ Maybe because of overexposure.
See, in the olden days, people's access to music was quite limited. Songs could be heard only on the radio or through CDs or atmost on the television.
Nowadays, songs are played in clubs, parties, marriages, everywhere. And the frequency with which they are played is quite annoying. For example, take Tu hi toh hai song from upcoming Holiday. If you keep a music channel on, it will be played every 3 minutes.
When you keep listening to the same thing over and over again, you will be tired of it, to a point you will start hating it. No one likes to listen to the same thing over and over again.
Whereas in the old days, the repetition of songs was less.
I remember that song Dhola re from Devdas. when it was released, it was overplayed everywhere. Everyone was dancing to that song and I used to hate it. But now after nearly a decade of its release, I don't hate it anymore.
It's not about whether the songs are good or not. It's about how much you are exposed to it.
SIR.MEOWINGTON thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Now a days songs have a lesser shelf value coz of the contant hammering through radios, TV etc. You eventually get tired of listening to it.
Also there is less soul put into it, I feel. 

But we do have exceptions also/

Lootera was phenomenal. Even Kai Poche.
Edited by SIR.MEOWINGTON - 9 years ago
sparkle2985 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
each movie has good and bad songs 
ppl remember only good  songs 
even every era we  had good and bad songs 
mohra for eg every one remember cheesbadi hein and tip tip bharasa pani song but it still has 4 songs left ...no one knows those songs also 
similarly ra one has 2 melodies and after few yrs ppl will listen to it but not chammak challo 
same way they were really pathethic songs before also and now also
Edited by sparkle2985 - 9 years ago
Because we have gems like this:

"Chewing Gym Hai Chabbi Ja
Hand Pump Hai Dabbi Ja
Life Ka Joosa Kaddi Ja
Fikar Karein Fukarey"

There are very few movies that come up with good songs. Most songs suck because the lyrics are TERRIBLE. I love older songs too - the tune, the lyrics, the meaning - it sounds so beautiful, meaningful and thoughtful! A few movies are an exception today. I used to be obsessed with music and listen to almost every other music album until 2007 but then I lost interest, because it was just awful.

I love songs with meaning. The ones where a writer puts a lot of thought into it. The ones that make you feel. The ones that take you to another place or another time. So I hate putting up with chewing gum hai chabbi ja. As catchy as that can be it is just utter nonsense.
Edited by AppleCider - 9 years ago
.Bongsookie. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
90s was amazing, today's music is underwhelming compared to the 90s but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. The melodies are in less numbers but there's some great albums each year.

Musicians like Amit Trivedi, A.R.Rahman, Shankar Ehsaan Loy and even Pritam sometimes are bringing something new to the table.

In terms of lyrics, Amitabh Bhattacharya, Swanand Kirkire, Prasoon Joshi and Irshad Kamil and Sayeed Qadri (he used to contribute great lyrics, not sure if he's working anymore) have delivered good lyrics over the years.

90s music was of the highest standards Bollywood has seen in a big while, why compare it to what we have now when we know it's not going to be of that level again. Lets enjoy what we have now. 😳

Just this year: Mast Magan, Maahi Ve, Patakha Guddi, Tere Naina, Muskurane, Shukr Tera, Galliyan, Zehnaseeb, Ishq Bulaava. All romantic numbers, and most of them were very very nice, in terms of music, lyrics and singers. 

There are more films and film music doing well these days, it's not one two and three albums each year that do well like before. There's more variety, and there's way more different tastes these days. Not everyone will love a Tum Hi Ho, or a Balam Pichkari or a Ram Chahe Leela.
And who listens to the radio these days? On zoom and MTV India I always hear Dhat Teri Ki, Tum Hi Ho, Ik Junoon from ZNMD and Tera Hone Laga Hoon occasionally. Plus now if you have a digital copy, you can listen to it yourself. Not everyone listens to the radio, or watches TV to access songs and albums, if you like a song you'll have your own copy of it, in a CD, DVD, or digital copy.
Edited by Humsafar. - 9 years ago