Mythological Masti

Doubts, and more doubts...

Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
So we know that our Puranas contain various descriptions of various gods and supremacy and all. But that is not my doubt.
Based on this, many scholars have come and established their sampradayas, like Adi Shankara, Madhvacharya, Ramanuja, Vallabha, etc. So, why do these people criticise the others?
I mean, Adi Shankara preached about Advaita and went.
Then came Madhvacharya, who said that Advaita is wrong, established Dvaita and left.
Then came Ramanuja, who talked about another philosophy, Vishishtadvaita, and left.
Then came Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, who criticised Mayavada and the Madhva Sampradaya, and the way of worship of Ramanuja Sampradaya, and established Krishna's supremacy, and Acintya-Bheda-Abheda and left.

WHat is going on????
I half have a heart to call all these scholars here this instant and make them explain clearly what is their problem.

And then the centuries pass, those British come to India, and many more scholars come.
Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, who preached Adi Shankara's philosophy, and at the same time, Radhakrishna philosophy also, and also a great Kali Devi Bhakta, practiced all the religions and proving them equal, left.
Swami Vivekananda arrived, preached to the world, Ramakrishna's message. Did a great work, established Hinduism in the West, and left.
Then comes Srila Prabhupada who establishes the Gaudiya Sampradaya worldwide and preaches the philosophy of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, and sincerely follows Lord Chaitanya in criticising the Mayavada philosophy. Establishes the predominance of Radhakrsna, and after a long, devoted life, left.
Then comes Sathya Sai Baba, who himself claims to be an avatara of God himself, and establishes many social services. He helps everyone, and supports the Advaita of Shankaracharya, etc etc. Now he too left.

Now, when one person contradicts the other, it kind of becomes difficult to follow everyone.
And I am that type of person who wants to follow all, and believe all.

So, exactly what is going on here? Why is Krishna doing this? Throwing in different philosophies, saying "take your pick" and then sending people to criticise one another.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Other religions are like a doctor's prescription. You have to consume the exact medicines which  the doctor has written and also follow   all other dietary restrictions. The same prescription for everyone- regardless of age, gender, mental fortitude.

Sanatana Dharma, OTOH, is like a vast banquet spread. You are free to choose your cuisine, mix and match according to your will. You can have chola- bhatura and masala dosa on your plate. And tomorrow, if you want a change, you can gorge on jalebis and gulab jamuns.

The idea is to satisfy your taste buds and fill the stomach.
Edited by varaali - 9 years ago
Originally posted by: varaali

Other religions are like a doctor's prescription. You have to consume the exact medicines which  the doctor has written and also follow   all other dietary restrictions. The same prescription for everyone- regardless of age, gender, mental fortitude.

Sanatana Dharma, OTOH, is like a vast banquet spread. You are free to choose your cuisine, mix and match according to your will. You can have chola- bhatura and masala dosa on your plate. And tomorrow, if you want a change, you can gorge on jalebis and gulab jamuns.

The idea is to satisfy your taste buds and fill the stomach.

Nicely phrased. Hm.. Chola Bhatura and masala dosa.. 

So you mean to say some people like this combo, but some others say, "Chi, what a combo he is having. i like this better."
Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 9 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

Nicely phrased. Hm.. Chola Bhatura and masala dosa.. 

So you mean to say some people like this combo, but some others say, "Chi, what a combo he is having. i like this better."

Not just the people eating.

The cook from Punjab making Chole Bhature will sneer at thayir sadam (curd rice)

And the nine-yard- saree-clad iyer mami will be appalled if onions and garlic appeared in her kitchen. 
sherlock thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@Surya-krsnbhakt:  I prefer this problem-of-plenty a lot over those ideologies which start off by threatning, "You better believe this only, or hell is your eternal abode." 
Originally posted by: sherlock

@Surya-krsnbhakt:  I prefer this problem-of-plenty a lot over those ideologies which start off by threatning, "You better believe this only, or hell is your eternal abode." 

Oh I am not pointing towards that.. I too believe in diversity.. I was just pointing out the various people criticising the others..
sherlock thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

Oh I am not pointing towards that.. I too believe in diversity.. I was just pointing out the various people criticising the others..

Reading this, SK, I realize and accept that my previous post was woefully incomplete and has failed to convey what I wished to say to you.

Since everyone has this Freedom to read, interpret, give one's own twist to the topics, question, criticize, naturally over a period of time we'll end up with a whole lot of conflicting claims who appear to be contradicting and criticizing and fighting among themselves. And this is what has happened.

But if we don't want a 'my way or highway' scenario, we'll have to live with this situation.