Forget Satyamev Jayate: Why Mission Sapne is the must-see Sunday show

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 9 years ago

I'm not a fan of programmes presided over by celebrities pontificating about the woes of India and what we the audience can do to help. The shows and their hosts have such a holier-than-thou air about them that if India's problems don't make you shoot yourself, the sanctimonious air of the anchor will do it.

Firstpost Bollywood Forget Satyamev Jayate: Why Mission Sapne is the must-see Sunday show by Rajyasree Sen Apr 28, 2014 #Colors TV #India #Ranbir Kapoor #Salman Khan #Satyamev Jayate #TheIdiotBox inShare 1 CommentEmailPrint I'm not a fan of programmes presided over by celebrities pontificating about the woes of India and what we the audience can do to help. The shows and their hosts have such a holier-than-thou air about them that if India's problems don't make you shoot yourself, the sanctimonious air of the anchor will do it. Mission Sapne airs every Sunday on Colors. Mission Sapne airs every Sunday at 8pm on Colors. This is where Mission Sapne wins out. Yes, the name is horrible, and it promo spots were dismal: Ranbir Kapoor selling vada pavs, TV actress Dhrasthi was selling flowers and Salman Khan playing barber. The thought of Salman with a knife near anyone's neck - black buck or human - is not very appealing. Worse, the promo leaves out exactly what it is that makes the show a must watch - which I'll get to in a bit. If you went by the promo, you'd think it was a show about film and TV stars playing the aamaadmi for the cameras. Not exactly exciting television. The actual show is much, much more creative and inspiring. The first episode, anchored by SonaliBendre, introduced Sunita, a young child with blood cancer. Her father is a manual labourer who lugs cement packs on his back and she has two siblings - an older brother and a twin sister. Sunita can be cured but requires a year of chemotherapy and hospital charges which costs Rs 4 lakh. Her family obviously doesn't have the money to pay for it. Here's where the celebrity factor comes in. Mere Sapne highlights an urgent financial need and then recruits a celebrity to help solve it by earning this money by doing something which they wouldn't ordinarily do. And whatever the celebrity earns, the programme will multiply by 100 and donate it to the person in need. In this episode, Ranbir Kapoor went out to sell vadapavs to help Sunita. He made Rs 9500, of which Rs 2000 was deducted as the cost of preparing the vadapavs. The channel and its sponsor Tata motors multiplied that Rs 7500 to arrive at a hefty Rs 7.5 lakh donation. Why do I like this show? One, it's not charity. So there's no playing the lazy benefactor who throws money at a problem. The celebrity has to work and earn money. Forget Ranbir Kapoor, who I don't think has spent more than 30 minutes in the sun at a stretch in his life, I would have keeled over if I'd had to stand in the Pune sun hawking vadapavs and allowing fans to maul me for a good cause. Two, when the child and her parents were being interviewed, Bendre's questions were about her illness and how she can't go to school anymore - but they never bordered on intrusive or maudlin. There were no attempts to make the child bawl or ask the parents how they felt at the thought that she may die. Neither did Bendre start crying and take away all attention from the girl and her family. The seriousness of her illness came through as did the need for money to provide her with adequate treatment. But there was no rudaali behaviour like we usually see in programmes like SatyamevJayate - where most guests are so busy watching Aamir Khan tearing up that they forget all else. And there are no cutaways to bawling audience members. The tone of the programme is what makes it special. There's a fun, joyous element which makes you feel happy at the end, not ready to commit harakiri. I like the fact that not only is the programme (channel and celebrity) helping the kid, you're also making her have a blast while you're doing so - instead of making her feel beholden to them. The producers have hit on a winner of a concept, because everyone in India loves celebrities. And that it gets them to interact not just with the guests but also the aam aadmi on the street will warm many a heart. And I bet the little girl will always remember the time when Ranbir Kapoor sold vadapav and earned money for her treatment -- and even better, hugged and kissed and danced with her. It's a feel-good moment that will stay with any child forever. Do the guest celebrities charge to be on the show for that one day? I hope not, because that would defeat the purpose of the show. Bendre is great as the anchor, she's gorgeous, affable, suitably affectionate without being suffocating. It's a much better stint that judging those reality shows. I do feel the programme could be shorter. Watching Ranbir Kapoor sell vadapav for 30 minutes is a bit much, however hot he may be. The tension of watching Salman Khan approaching different people with a scalpel might also be too much for a weak-hearted audience if stretched too long. A 30-minute show might have made more sense - but hey, I'm not in charge of selling advertising. Watch the show. It's worth it. And it's nice to see channels and celebrities put their weight and money behind a good cause and turn it into entertaining programming. At least makes me feel less guilty for watching dodgy Hindi entertainment programming as well. You can watch Mission Sapne on Colors every Sunday at 8pm. Colors is a part of Network18 that also publishes Firstpost.

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/forget-satyamev-jayate-why-mission-sapne-is-the-must-see-sunday-show-1499703.html?utm_source=fpstory_cat

Mission Sapne is amazing concept which is brilliantly executed ..
Everything is Well balanced ..celebs r doing noble cause bt in entertaining way ..
1st epi of Ranbir Kapoor was fab & im looking forward to nxt epi nw ..
Thanks for sharing sona

I love the charity that they are doing through this show seems like not all Is lost in India those people do have some humanity left in them just hope it inspires the rest of the nation. Personally I feel that they should highlight charity and humanity that Indians show rather than today a so and so was raped and the politician of blah blah blah felt that she needed to be hanged cuz it's her fault ... The media should show the positives more often jus like they don't show all of the countries we invade and destroy over oil most people don't even know we r in war that's call good media they protect us from resenting our gov. Anyways I'm damn happy for d because she is a part of such a Nobel cause and she she got roasted toasted and tanned in heat cuz of it (not many girls including me would be walking in the scorching sun to sell lime peppers Indians gettin a tan ain't no fun my beeji be like gori ho ke Gaye se kali ho ke aah Gayi ) it shows how down to earth d is cuz not many actresses would be roaming on the street in the heat ... But damn curious to see Sallu barber but I'm scared for the people whose hair he chops

Girl u be scandalized by the gurdwara pai's I though they were bad in India but here they're very smart they know we were despo n dad lookie good so they doubled the price and he was so shameless he gave us the paper that told us the usual price. Since ur dad is a gurdwara pai does it really cost 68 000 thousand a month to maintain the gurdwara

Sona is my essay long enough lol I didn't know wat else to write on sapne which I agree mission sapne is a very tacky name ...so I started discussing pai problems cuz u wanted a long essay lol

Feel free to buzz me today taking a day off from school stomach buggie :-(
Originally posted by karina88

Tfs

Welcome!!
Originally posted by _SnowFlakes_

Mission Sapne is amazing concept which is brilliantly executed ..
Everything is Well balanced ..celebs r doing noble cause bt in entertaining way ..
1st epi of Ranbir Kapoor was fab & im looking forward to nxt epi nw ..

Aren't we all! Thumps up show gets good TrPs too!
Originally posted by Poseidon

Thanks for sharing sona

I love the charity that they are doing through this show seems like not all Is lost in India those people do have some humanity left in them just hope it inspires the rest of the nation. Personally I feel that they should highlight charity and humanity that Indians show rather than today a so and so was raped and the politician of blah blah blah felt that she needed to be hanged cuz it's her fault ... The media should show the positives more often jus like they don't show all of the countries we invade and destroy over oil most people don't even know we r in war that's call good media they protect us from resenting our gov. Anyways I'm damn happy for d because she is a part of such a Nobel cause and she she got roasted toasted and tanned in heat cuz of it (not many girls including me would be walking in the scorching sun to sell lime peppers Indians gettin a tan ain't no fun my beeji be like gori ho ke Gaye se kali ho ke aah Gayi ) it shows how down to earth d is cuz not many actresses would be roaming on the street in the heat ... But damn curious to see Sallu barber but I'm scared for the people whose hair he chops

Girl u be scandalized by the gurdwara pai's I though they were bad in India but here they're very smart they know we were despo n dad lookie good so they doubled the price and he was so shameless he gave us the paper that told us the usual price. Since ur dad is a gurdwara pai does it really cost 68 000 thousand a month to maintain the gurdwara

Sona is my essay long enough lol I didn't know wat else to write on sapne which I agree mission sapne is a very tacky name ...so I started discussing pai problems cuz u wanted a long essay lol

Feel free to buzz me today taking a day off from school stomach buggie :-(

Sammy Sammy Sammy.. Where do I start with your essay now? Every country has its good and bad be it politicians endorsing rape or countires like US hiding what they are doing at war. What I like about Mission Sapne is it not only talks about the problems in the world it sets an example on how to solve them. Even I feel their should be more positivity in the media. Yeah DD is sure down to earth for ppl able to stay in the sun for hours without throwing tantrums. She is hardworking we already know. But I love see her taking up such nobel causes. Salman and anything evokes danger in man. He is quite the character.

My dad is the Gurudwara President not Pai. He doesn't lead the prayers he just handles the finances and what not. And yes our expenses are higher right now as we are renovating the Gurudwara. 

Im glad to know your feeling better and take care of yourself babes!😳