Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Nice Topic!

I have a question.All the 18 Puranas were written by Ved Vyas.But why in Srimadbhagavatam Krishna/Vishnu is projected as the Supreme and in Siva Purana, Siva has been described as Lord of all; rest are spoken as servants. Vishnu Purana holds Vishnu on highest pedestal and Shiva and other Gods as servants. For Devi Purana , Devi is Supreme and others totally subordinate; In this way, Shiva Purana describes Siva; Vishnu Purana, Vishnu ; Devi Purana, Devi; Ganesh Purana, Ganesh; Surya, Surya; Vayu, Vayu; etc as author of creation and destruction of universe, but each of them consider the other as created ones, how then a devotee can understand who is the First Cause?
Why did Vyasa present them in a conflicting manner!?😕

Ok,let us believe Vyasa concentrated on the particular aspect Brahma /Vishnu /Shiva /Devi /Ganesh /Kartikeya, whom he was describing in each text he had written.But why do these puranas while praising their divine character defame and talk low of other embodiments!?!?

Cherry, I am trying to answer your qs acc to my understanding 😊

You are right when you said that Vedvyasa focussed on a particular aspect ( /'roop') of the Almighthy while composing each text. With this theory we can come to the answer of your question. Sema has beautifully explained how EACH chosen 'form' of the Supreme Responds to the devotee (of that particular form). Following this theory, Veda Vyasa composed different purans to give the Bliss to the devotees of all the 'forms' of the Supreme, be it Shiva, Vishnu, Aadi Shakti/ Ganesha, or any other form like that. That is the basic concept behind composing various purans focussing on various forms of the Supreme, who is originally without any form ('nirakaar') 😊

Now coming to the second qs,- 'Do such action defame divine characters?'  I feel, they don't defame others. Now trying to explain. 

When a particular form of the Supreme accept defeat in front of anoher form- such happenings can be considered as Humility/ Love/ Respect on the part of the other forms of the Supreme, to present the appropriate opportunity for the dominant form of the puraan to complete his/ her task. Like, if we see Vishnu defeated by Shiva, it shows us the mutural Respect and Love of both the form, for each other. By such action, they help each other to achieve the goal, targetted by that particular form (here Shiva, for example). 

Those situations can be considered as the Leela of the Supreme, making  two or more forms (from his/ her SUPREME 'Self' 😃 ), for the devotees and also playing (interacting) with his/ her own different roops to entertain the devotees, giving bliss to them 😊 

NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

The Various Puranas were transmitted through a succession of sages, starting from Brahma to Narada, and others. These were finally compiled by Sage Krishna Dwaipayana, nad because he compiled them, he was called as "Vyasa" the compiler.

So there is also the chance that the rishis who were transmitting it, felt biased towards their Ishta Deva...

Cab be. Humans have flaws while God has none so may be the sages were unknowingly biased 
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Cherry, I am trying to answer your qs acc to my understanding 😊

You are right when you said that Vedvyasa focussed on a particular aspect ( /'roop') of the Almighthy while composing each text. With this theory we can come to the answer of your question. Sema has beautifully explained how EACH chosen 'form' of the Supreme Responds to the devotee (of that particular form). Following this theory, Veda Vyasa composed different purans to give the Bliss to the devotees of all the 'forms' of the Supreme, be it Shiva, Vishnu, Aadi Shakti/ Ganesha, or any other form like that. That is the basic concept behind composing various purans focussing on various forms of the Supreme, who is originally without any form ('nirakaar') 😊

Now coming to the second qs,- 'Do such action defame divine characters?'  I feel, they don't defame others. Now trying to explain. 

When a particular form of the Supreme accept defeat in front of anoher form- such happenings can be considered as Humility/ Love/ Respect on the part of the other forms of the Supreme, to present the appropriate opportunity for the dominant form of the puraan to complete his/ her task. Like, if we see Vishnu defeated by Shiva, it shows us the mutural Respect and Love of both the form, for each other. By such action, they help each other to achieve the goal, targetted by that particular form (here Shiva, for example). 

Those situations can be considered as the Leela of the Supreme, making  two or more forms (from his/ her SUPREME 'Self' 😃 ), for the devotees and also playing (interacting) with his/ her own different roops to entertain the devotees, giving bliss to them 😊 

Thank You so much for sharing your beautiful thoughts Debi didi!😃

I'll consider all this as 'Divine Leela'!But one thing I would like to understand,what brings in certain derogatory remarks while considering those divine forms other than the one he's describing!?Doesn't all this hurt the sentiments of devotees!?

Originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

The Various Puranas were transmitted through a succession of sages, starting from Brahma to Narada, and others. These were finally compiled by Sage Krishna Dwaipayana, nad because he compiled them, he was called as "Vyasa" the compiler.

So there is also the chance that the rishis who were transmitting it, felt biased towards their Ishta Deva...

Hmm...but why will Great Rishis...realized souls get biased.They knew the Supreme Absolute.Right!?Why do they possess the sense of duality!?😕
srishtisingh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I agree with competition being human trait cause of all this. we always connect more to one particular god or (in my case not really a devotee but neither an atheist) admire a particular supreme personality more.it does not mean I consider other lesser but my admiration and aweness is more for that diety, because somehow I can connect more to him/her and his/her actions.yep but problem arises when one tries to prove superiority of one's fav god over other without thinking the same way that person feels abt his aradhya other person may also have same feeling for "his aradhya" who may b a different diety.