No Cellphones Please?

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago

The first thing you'll see when you enter our office is a little poster made by yours truly that says just that -- "No Cellphones Please."

Not my idea though... it was my boss who found clients to be "wasting his time and energy" by being on the phone while in his cabin. But such an occurence is not new. A lot of restaurants and some public places have disallowed the use of cellphones because of the "peace disruptions" they cause. It's true after all... imagine taking an important test or watching a tragic love story and suddenly someone's phone goes off with one of those irritating ring tones!! 🤢 Arrrrrgghhh... That's probably what you're thinking while trying to hunt down the one who has very few breaths of life left 😆😆 But eating in a restaurant? Maybe not so much of a trouble...

Actually, I find it fascinating that even grade school kids carry a cellphone. When I was in high school, we had to get special permission from our Professor Umbridge-looking principal just to be able to bring cells to school. And it's amazing how many people are on their phones while driving, including my brother, who scares the hell out of me with his driving skills 🤢

CBS News, reports:

A ban on cell phones in the nation's biggest school system is creating an uproar among parents and students alike, with teenagers sneaking their phones inside their lunches and under their clothes, and grown-ups insisting they need to stay in touch with their children in case of another crisis like Sept. 11.

Parents have written angry letters and e-mails, staged rallies and news conferences, and threatened to sue. Some City Council members are introducing legislation on their behalf.

But Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Schools Chancellor Joel Klein have staunchly refused to drop the ban. They insist cell phones are a distraction and are used to cheat, take inappropriate photos in bathrooms and organize gang rendezvous. They are also a top stolen item.

Students have refused to give up their phones, saying the devices have become too vital to their daily existence and to their parents' peace of mind.

Too vital to daily existence? 😕  I thought the basic necessities of life were Oxygen, water, food, shelter, and clothing. When did Cellphones become included in the list? 😆 Sounds like we're becoming an increasingly paranoid society. Sometimes I wonder, are cellphones keeping us more connected or more distanced? I mean, on one side you can talk to anyone across the globe in a heartbeat but then you are becoming oblivious and indifferent to people standing right in front of you.

So do you guys think cellphones are becoming a problem? Have you ever wished that certain places had a "No Cellphone Use" Policy? Or do you think it's actually absurd to put restrictions on the use of your beautiful and efficient little gadgets?

P.S. Feel free to lock if repeat.

although i could argue with u on the importance of a cell phone it is true that my generation has become obssessed with their cell phones. We are really materialistic, and by taking cell phones away i think that the school is taking up more trouble than it needs.
lol..sandy..my sister was 6 when she had a phone haha..
and i got mine when i was 11..soo unfair lol..
but for me its just playing games and texts all day long hehe 😳 its hard to admit..but like my cell phone is my life..when i say this..they're 2 aspects to it..firstly...i cant live w/o it..its too precious 😳 and secondly if i lose it then i lose my life 😆
getting to the main point, in my school we're not allowed to bring our cellphones, infact..in a way..we kinda are allowed..i mean..as long as it doesnt ring in class and we dont chat in b/w classes..then its ok..and if we do decide to bring it in..then its our own responsibility..school can't help if it gets stolen or lost 😕 but then again, its a necesity 'cos if students have their parents picking them up and their parents get very delayed in traffic, the area can be a li'l dangerous..specially in winter when it gets dark early..because our 6th form college is mixed
and lol..when u say irritating ring tones..it reminded me of the crazy frog..dammn that was annoying lol..
and about the driving part..i've seen people still do it! even though it is against the law, sometimes when you're expecting an emergency phone call..what can you do?

even though i feel like i've gone completely off topic..i still wrote what i felt hehe..

Tina xx
I am and always will be anti cell phones in school. I say let people carry the cell phone BUT........A cell phone must be switched off in school, hospital, movies, meetings, when meeting friends socially etc etc . Use it only when you are alone AND NOT DISTURBING ANY ONE!!!!!!
[Quote=Groovychick] and about the driving part..i've seen people still do it! even though it is against the law, sometimes when you're expecting an emergency phone call..what can you do? [/Quote]

Do wht my father does... park the car immediately and talk 😉

Cell phones disturb me ... espcially when my papa's cell rings in the park, supermarket,etc.. and he needs to find a hide-out to answer it 😆..but then.. it once saved us too from a stampede.. but in school .."Please switch it off or put it in silent" 😛 Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago
a teacher's opinion? 😛 cell phones are not vital for survival.

all of the rest are excuses.

as for the kids, when are they going to say no to one? the parents say that they were given for security purposes, but the kids are using it for all the reasons listed in the article above.
now a days cell phones r very necessary ....... specially 4 me cuz i dont go to home alone my brother takes me from my educational institute when i take my last period i send him miss bell to take me from institute 😆
Originally posted by Mauritian

a teacher's opinion? 😛 cell phones are not vital for survival.

all of the rest are excuses.

as for the kids, when are they going to say no to one? the parents say that they were given for security purposes, but the kids are using it for all the reasons listed in the article above.

👏 totally agree with you!
its not our survival need its time need 😃
If you need to bring your cellphone in school, you should put it in vibrate mode and if you need to answer then walk out of the room. That is the rules of the college I go to. The college alone only has one payphone on the whole campus.

The worst time you can use your cellphone is if you are driving. There is many people in my city that get hit by a car because the driver was bussy talking on the phone and driving. When I drive there is alot of people that almost hit my car because they do not pay attention to the road. You should always be able to have both hands on the steering wheel.