Users

Frequent Posters

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

'Bhabhi' goes to Vaishnodevi

After Hours Correspondent
Monday, December 11, 2006 23:59 IST

One of the longest running afternnon soaps 'Bhabhi' recently celebrated its upcoming 1000 episode milestone in a unique way

Two weeks ago, the production house UTV took the entire cast and crew of 'Bhabhi' (Star Plus) to the holy shrine of Vaishnodevi.

The unit, comprising nearly 60 persons, spent five days travelling together, spending time at the pilgrimage centre and meeting numerous fans on the way. "We usually spend a lot of time with each other, thanks to the 12 hour shifts, but this was a very unique and moving experience for us," says Dharam Tanejaa, who has been playing the character of Kukoo on the show since its inception.

"Travelling by train too was a wonderful experience, and we met incredible admirers of the show in places like Bhopal and Gwalior on the way," he says. The unit returned to Mumbai on 1 December, and shooting has begun again after a five day break. The 1000th episode of Bhabhi will be aired on 1 January 2007."

Bhabhi, in its two year long life, has seen many changes. The original bhabhi, Dolly Sohi, quit the show last year to get married and shift to Canada.

She has been replaced by GenNext a new bhabhi, now played by Rucha Gujarathi. Mannish Goel, who played the original bhabhi's husband, greyed to a father's role after the generation leap, but also ended up leaving the show after a while.

Several of the original cast still remain, however, and now look forward to the milestone they will reach next month.
Vandu4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Reena Thapar Kapoor

Sister act: Rucha Gujrati
After a series of showdowns and heated arguments on the sets, Bhabhi actors, Rucha Gujrati and Bhanujeet Sudan have patched up. According to the grapevine, Rucha and Bhanujeet have become real buddies these days. Says Rucha, "After the Vaishno Devi trip, things have improved between us."

However, last week their new-found friendship took yet another turn. Apparently there were two units put up to beat the telecast pressures. Rucha was required to complete her scenes from one unit, and go to the second unit to shoot the remaining scenes.  While the first unit was in Andheri, the other was in Powai. Rucha recalls, "I had to reach Powai in exactly 15 minutes, so Jatin Chahcha, the executive producer of Bhabhi suggested that we go on his bike."

According to the unit members, Bhanujeet lost his cool when he saw Rucha arriving with Jatin on his bike. Says our source in the production house, "We feel that Bhanujeet has a soft corner for Rucha and so does Jatin. After that incident, both Jatin and Bhanujeet have stopped talking to each other.  Bhanujeet sulked the entire day and didn't speak with Rucha at all. Later,
Jealous? Bhanujeet Sudan
Bhanu walked up to Rucha and confronted her saying, 'If you have no feelings for Jatin, then why don't you tie a rakhi on him?"

When contacted, Bhanujeet confirmed the news. He said, "Rucha is a special friend and I don't know if it was jealousy that prompted me to behave like that. But I am certainly very fond of her."

While Bhanujeet was elated about the fact that Rucha tied a rakhi to Jatin, the latter was heartbroken. Said Jatin, "I like Rucha. She is a great person. It was Bhanujeet's insecurity that made him behave like a juvenile. I am not sure about his feelings for her. Otherwise Bhanujeet is a great guy and extremely serious about his work."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=12&contentid=200612140215199065657bb80

Edited by Vandu4ever - 17 years ago
Vandu4ever thumbnail

A two-in-one b'day bash!

Embarrassed or camera shy? - Mannish Goyal, who seems to be going through a trying phase of his career, poured in sans wifey Poonam

Paayal quits Bhabhi!

Paayal Nair, who plays the wicked Meenu in Star Plus' Bhabhi, is
ready to say goodbye to the serial. Paayal doesn't want to grow old
in the serial as it is expected to take a generation leap. Paayal
says, "It was amusing to play the role of a mother to someone who in
reality is only a couple of years younger to me. And now if there is
going to be a generation leap, I'd rather leap out of the serial!"
So where is she going to land next? "For the moment I am enjoying my
theatre performances and am preparing for a play that's part of the
National School of Drama festival in New Delhi in Jan," says Paayal.

Edited by Vandu4ever - 17 years ago
Vandu4ever thumbnail

2006 round up

Looks like Balaji's domination over the small screen is finally over as other production houses take over

Even though the queen of soaps Ekta Kapoor's shows showed a declining trend this year, she still ruled the rating charts with most of her serials securing position in top 10 serials week after week. According to TAM ratings, the top 10 serials viewed in most cable and satellite homes in India were from the Balaji factory. Then too, there were some shows from other production houses who successfully managed to garner audiences' interest.
Prithviraj Chauhan (Star Plus), Bhabhi (Star Plus), Baa Bahu Aur Baby (Star Plus), Sai Baba (Star Plus), Saat Phere (Zee TV) and even C. I. D (Sony TV) gave some tough competition to K serials this year.

The reasons behind these non Balaji serials clicking are manifold. Prithiviraj Chauhan has  offered a fresh perspective to viewers of a different class. The child artist who plays young Prithviraaj has attracted the eyeballs and hence  is still being retained in the show, with model Angad Bedi who was supposed to play the grown up Prithviraj, waiting in the wings.
The Sagars of Ramayan also scored with yet another mythological Sai Baba. Devotees simply lapped up the show despite the fact that a couple of shows had already been made earlier on the popular deity. This goes on to prove that what others do; the Sagars can do better.

Another different approach at exploiting a popular idea worked too. Baa, Bahu Aur Baby was meant for the loyal viewers of saas-bahu serials and the intention was to present it in a different way. The show ended up being a big hit. The afternoon slot has it's own share of loyal viewers. BAG films have been lucky with its popular bahu Kumkum, the protagonist of Kumkum - Ek Pyara Sa Bandhan. Viewers still showed as much attachment towards Kumkum's family as before.

The same goes for Bhabi. This long running UTV show successfully retained its place in the hearts of the family audiences.   The new TV bahu, the dusky Saloni has become a household name now. She ended up being the biggest name of Zee TV with Saat Phere, as it steadily climbed up on the TRP charts.  Last but not the least, we can call CID the only face savior of Sony Entertainment Television which otherwise had a bad year, losing it's no 2 position to Zee. Since many years, CID had been providing thrills and chills to its viewers. This episodic sure has rocked and is likely to do so in many more years to come.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#N on%20Balaji%20hit%20shows

Vandu4ever thumbnail

Manish Goel scripts serial with a difference

Small screen actor Manish Goel, who walked out of STAR One's "Paraaya Dhan" recently, is set to give the Ekta Kapoors a run for their money by scripting a real story starring his wife Poonam Nirula.

Manish has been secretly writing a script for a daily.

"Very different from the standard soaps shown on screen. There will be no mother-in-law and daughter-in-law, no squabbling brothers and no business families making deals on top of rocky-mountains," Manish told IANS.

"I've been quietly writing a script for a daily about the Indian middleclass reality. Having acted in some of the most unreal soaps, I know the counter-view. My situations and characters are completely grounded to middleclass reality. As a TV actor I feel audiences are ready for a change."

Manish not only wants to produce it, he also wants his wife Poonam to play the lead.

"I don't wish to act in the soap I've written. As an actor I've two offers each on television and in films. I'm taking these up," said Manish who has been accused of high-handed behaviour throughout the year 2006.

"People within the TV industry are spreading strange rumours about me. I'm supposed to have become this frustrated work-less and bitter guy who probably feels good about himself by throwing tantrums at home. Sorry to disappoint my well-wishers. I've been busy."

Apart from acting, Manish is also actively involved with an organisation called FLY.

"It's the acronym for Future Lies In Our Youth. It's an organisation for parental guidance. We feel parents are as much in need of counselling as children... I don't want my interests to remain narrowed down to being a television actor. In 2007, I want to expand my horizons."

http://www.india4u.com/india4unews/newsview.asp?ID=11113

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ --------------

Manish Goyal turns producer

It does look like the perfect antidote to being ousted from serials!

While other actors were busy making temporary New Year resolutions, Manish Goyal was doing some long-term thinking. The result: he has launched a production company. And gifted it to his wife, Poonam Narula.

This seems to be the perfect antidote to being ousted from serials, doesn't it? When you can't get along with the boss, turn into a boss yourself…

Big Boss? Manish Goyal
On January 1, Manish walked up to Poonam and handed her a thick file. "This is for you," he told Poonam, who thought that it was just another file that he wanted her to keep safely.

"But he insisted that I read the papers. Initially I couldn't make any sense of its contents, but later I realised what it actually meant," says Poonam.

Manish's company that will make soaps is a New Year gift to his beloved wife. "My wife has stood by me though thick and thin. I want her to grow. This company belongs to her completely. She is the owner and I want her to take complete charge of it," he says.

The couple who are ready with their first script has already started approaching channel heads. "The official meetings will begin soon and I'm hoping that as a producer Poonam will do a good job," he smiles.

Naturally this year is extremely important for Manish as it will mark his debut as a producer. "But I'll continue to act," he adds.

He had decided that the year 2007 had to begin on a positive note. After all he went through last year, Goyal is keen to start his career afresh. "This is just the right time," he smiles. "Everyone knew that I might get into production as I've been writing a script for some time now."

Manish has also quit smoking and is in the process of convincing his friends and family to join him in this good habit. Let's hope that this year the actor will not make the mistakes that he had been repeatedly making in the past. "Amen to that," he says.

Vandu4ever thumbnail

What was the last thing a TV star bought?

Television stars are earning big money these days. So what are they spending it on? Indya.com checks out a few buys.

Parveen Dabbas
To tell you the truth there is nothing major that I have bought so far in the past few months but I do plan on buying a new watch and a new car. I now have an Omega and I want to buy a Rolex or a Cartier. As for cars, I have a Skoda and I'm looking out to get a Nissan or a Toyota Prado. I've been really busy working so have not had time for any big purchases.

Gaurav Chopraa
Will the tax department be reading this? Can I talk about stuff I've bought with black money? (Laughs) I have just bought myself a new DVD recorder which is great because it works like a VCR recording from the television to a DVD. I also bought an Olympus digital camera which is weather proof and an iPod. I might have gone in and bought a lot more but since I lost my laptop and mobile phone I have stopped pampering myself I have no idea where my laptop and phone went. It is a mystery to me as I was really busy that day. I was shooting, doing interviews and rehearsing and was moving from one place to another. It was in my car and in between all the commotion someone had carefully taken the laptop and phone but very cleverly left the bag so I didn't even realize. It was a real Happy New Year for me!

Raja Chaudhury
Well I bought a Mercedes-Benz recently that was probably my biggest purchase. It was bought for our wedding anniversary on the 23rd of December last year. I bought it for twenty nine and a half lakhs.

Ketaki Dave
My biggest buy in the recent months has definitely been my car. I bought Toyota Innova. (approximately nine lakhs)

Rucha Gujrati
I bought an iPod for myself. I bought a portable DVD player for myself. I bought a Gucci watch for myself. I bought a Dior perfume for myself. I am pampering myself a lot! I'm always traveling so its good to have my music around whether on a flight or wherever. I can also download movies and albums on my iPod as well as record from television. Even if I've missed my Bhabi serial I can see it on the iPod so it's very convenient.

Murli Sharma
I can't think of anything of great value that I've bought for months! Over the last year I've bought my Mahindra Scorpio but that was quite some months back and I can't tell you how much I paid for it! (Though we know that the price is about 8 lakhs!)

http://www.indya.com/news/tvstars_purchases.html

monika.goel thumbnail
Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail

Manish Goel pens a soap
Wednesday, January 17, 2007  19:20 IST

The actor wants his wife Poonam Nirula to play the lead in this show portraying the Indian middle-class

Actor Manish Goel, who walked out of the serial 'Paraya Dhan' (Star) a few weeks ago, and was accused of high-handed behavior, is all set to make a   fresh start in 2007.

"People within the TV industry are spreading strange rumours about me. I'm supposed to have become an out-of-work, frustrated and bitter guy who probably feels good about himself by throwing tantrums. Sorry to disappoint my well-wishers, but I've been busy," he says.

Of late, Manish has been writing a script for a daily. "It's very different from the standard soaps. There will be no saas-bahus, no squabbling brothers and no business families making deals on the top of mountains," he declares.

Manish adds, "The script deals with the Indian middle -class reality. My situations and characters are completely grounded. Having acted in some of the most unreal soaps, I know the counter-view. I feel audiences are ready for a change."

Manish not only wants to produce the daily he has written but also wants his wife and actor Poonam Nirula to play the lead   in it. 

"I don't wish to act in the soap that I've written. I will be taking up some film and TV offers."

Manish is also involved with the organization FLY (Future Lies in Our Youth). "We feel parents are as much in need of counseling as children," he explains.

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
Vandu4ever thumbnail

Dolly's back in Bhabhi

aa ab laut chalein: Dolly Sohi and a character from Bhabhi

Dolly Sohi is back in the afternoon soap, Bhabhi. As reported in 'Bhabhi back from Canada' (HITLIST, January 19), the actress is in Mumbai for a short break after relocating to Yukon post marriage. Since she's going to be around for a good three months, the show's producers have approached her to resurface as her character Saroj again.

And here we were, thinking that Saroj had peacefully passed into the afterlife! But anything is possible in our TV land now, isn't it?

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/january/150749.htm

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Dolly Sohi: My life in Canada!

Dolly Sohi-Dhanoa who played the lead role of Saroj in the serial Bhabhi has come back to Mumbai.

The actress who debuted on the small screen as Raano in Kalash has come back to India for a holiday. Saroj whose exit from the show happened when she took up 'sanyas' and gave up all worldly attachments is now back and will be playing the role of a spiritual guide in Bhabhi.

Married to NRI- Software Engineer Avneet Singh Dhanoa, Dolly lives in Canada with her in-laws. She is scheduled to leave sometime in May. So how does a girl from Nerul, Navi Mumbai like life in Canada. Here she talks about how she spent time watching Bhabhi…and learning to love a new life.

"I used to get up at 7 AM, workout for an hour and then I would shower. At around 9 AM, I would have a light breakfast, say a toasted brown bread sandwich, after which I used to go shopping. I love to shop, I bought a lot of different purses, clothing etc… I usually had salads or low calorie sandwiches for lunch. When I was in Canada I was on a very strict diet as I had put on a lot of weight. When my husband came home from work in the evenings we would either go for a movie or go shopping. I got the most aaram I could get over there.

On Sundays my in-laws would come over and we would have a small party. My husband's entire family is there in Toronto… Sometimes I would watch our serials especially Bhabhi. I was not happy with the way the story was going, but I'm loving it right now.".

"My parents stay in Mumbai, but my in-laws stay in Canada, so I will be going back in a couple of months, maybe March or April."

http://www.indya.com/news/dolly_bhabhi.html