Historicals are 80% entertainment and 20% history: Shahbaz Khan

Posted: 10 years ago

Shahbaz Khan
For someone who has essayed powerful roles in historical and fantasy shows like 'The Sword of Tipu Sultan' and 'Chandrakanta' in the last two decades, actor Shahbaz Khan, currently seen in Bharat Ka Veer Putra " Maharana Pratap, feels that historical shows are more about fantasy and imagination these days. He says, "Historicals are no longer showing actual history. If you want to really know about Maharana Pratap or any other historical character, you should hit the library than follow TV shows. Gone are the days when you could follow shows like Bharat Ek Khoj or The Sword of Tipu Sultan and claim you are following history. Today, it is more about weaving stories around characters for entertainment and so, these shows are a work of fantasy than actual history."

We asked the actor if he is enjoying playing historical characters and he says, "It is not about enjoyment. It is just an appeal to the masses to not follow these shows for their historical value. For this, no one is to be blamed. Today's youth look for entertainment and people want results and viewership, so they are justified. In fact, some historical shows have gone ahead and even claimed that they are fiction and do not have any reference to the past."
what ever it is I like his acting a lot and i am a great fan of his acting whether its historical or negative role in movies or serials ,or comedy he is just great actor.and lot of applause to him
thanks for the post. 
So long as the essence of the story is being maintained, and positive characters are not turned into negative ones...it doesn't really matter whether story is historical or fictional. 
Then again, if Pratap is depicted as a true patriot, he would hate the Mughals in any case. Why put it Karnavati's jauhar as the main reason for his hatred towards the Mughals? I'm not saying it depicts him to be any less patriotic or something, but still...
Posted: 9 years ago
Shahbaz Khan is right. Today's shows are not even a patch on historicals and mythos made in past. Most are fan fiction using historical characters like muse.
At least one show has openly put a disclaimer admitting it has nothing to do with history. Others are serving pani puri in name of historicals. 

TRP game is biggest cause of this dwindling quality. 
Absolutely right ! Am glad Shahbaaz is saying so. I wish MP was more history than entertainment.

Originally posted by atominis

Shahbaz Khan is right. Today's shows are not even a patch on historicals and mythos made in past. Most are fan fiction using historical characters like muse.
At least one show has openly put a disclaimer admitting it has nothing to do with history. Others are serving pani puri in name of historicals. 

TRP game is biggest cause of this dwindling quality. 

Does Sony have a disclaimer about MP not having to do anything with history ?
Originally posted by Richah1

agree its all abt TRP...see the example how they r showing all muslim rulers as cruel n heartless especially how they r showing Akbar's character fighting for a girl even in reality in history Uday Singh also fought a war to get a women who was a wife of Haji Khan but Haji Khan refused to give his wife n asked his freinds to help him which eventually Haji managed to save his wife but in serial its not shown

Yeah history is replete with stories of debauchery of likes of US, but the show will cover it all up and maul only Muslim rulers.

Actually Akbar's character is a joke even in a serial named after him. 

Originally posted by dixie123

Does Sony have a disclaimer about MP not having to do anything with history ?

No it does not have any disclaimer.

What should MP makers do? Response and growth were slow as long as they stuck to history and authenticity. They started becoming more populist from Rao Surtan track onwards. It was evident they were doing it to compete with other shows in long run.

They wanted to drag and cash on Faisal's popularity. But earlier tracks were unbearable with Surtan, Meerabai, Pratap's vow to not touch weapons, comparison and rivalry between US' wives etc. They are still dragging but at least not as unbearably as in past 6 months. 

I have no clue whether Phool existed or not.  Never read anywhere about rivalry between Pratap and Akbar due to a Rajput princess! Ajabde is okay but this polygon involving Pratap, Ajab, Akbar, Phool is beyond me!

I had read Akbar and Pratap had never met each other personally. Serial showed them attending a fair together and becoming friends. Whoa!
Thanks for sharing article...