Mythological Masti

Lord Rama had 1 sister ????????!!!

Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
I just knew from 1 mythological quiz that Shri Ram had 1 sister...!!

Dashrath A father of Lord Ram, Had also a daughter by his wife Kaushalya

Daughter was given in adoption to her Maternal Aunt Varshini & Uncle Romapada,who was king of Anga.

Her name was SHANTA.

This is something very special & unique for me to know

Can anyone share some more information about this sister ?? Whom who married ?

Some incidence of her related with Ram & Brother-Sister moments.

I have never read or seen this in TV.

I always have seen Ram as all in life...he had all aspects of life but his Loving part to Behena was unshorn & now this is new to hear 

Can anyone fall more lights on this??
Edited by Proud-India - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Her husband was Rishi Rishyashriga who eventually performed the putrakameshti yagna for Dasharatha.

saishyama thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Actually there are many different interpretations regarding this.
Some interpreters say that Dashrath and Kaushalya had a daughter named Shanta who was given up for adoption and then married to a Rishi just because the King wanted sons .
Many authors criticize this act as a sacrifice of a daughter in order to beget a son.

However if one clearly reads the prose mentioned by Shri Valmiki , he writes Shanta to be like a daughter who arrived with her husband when Rajsuyi Yagya was to be performed.

Hence , I dont think Shri Ram really had a sister , though there are many controversies surrounding it.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Valmiki Ramayan says that Dashrath was a childless King in Bala Kanda. They never mentioned Shanta anywhere, and even if Dashrath wanted sons through the yagna, he would not have been called childless had he had a daughter. The legends that have Shanta as Dashrath's daughter do not mention him as childless, and they say that Dashrath gave up his daughter because his friend Romapada was also childless, and he asked for Shanta when she was born. Dashrath was a great daan veer, so he gave up Shanta to his friend though he did love her. Romapada then gave her in marriage to Rishyashringa.
RoseWine thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
interesting never heard of it before!
mallikaBalu thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Hey this is interesting. I never knew about this controversy. I have read only the Valmiki Ramayana and I went back to it. According to it Dasharatha was childless. No mention of any daughter anywhere. I truly wonder when this was added and in which version of the Ramayana. 
I am currently reading a text on Shri Krishna and it is throwing  a lot of interesting insights to all the later addition about Lord Krisna and the time it was done. I wish I could get hold of the original book.

Does anyone here know of any book in any Indian language that demystifies Ramayana and the Mahabharatha?
Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Which version of the Ramayana states this? Or is this a later addition? 
I have also heard of Dasharatha's daughter, but I doubt it would be part of Valmiki's original work...
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
I doubt Shanta exists as Ram's sister in the original Ramayan by Valmiki. I don't remember her being mentioned there. She's a latter addition by more recent writers. In Valmiki, Shanta is simply mentioned as Rishyashringa's wife and the daughter of Rishi Romapada. Later editions say that Dashrath had given Shanta up for adoption to Romapada, much like King Surasena had given Pritha/Kunti up to Kuntibhoja in Mahabharat. I don't know if this is true though.