Sensational South

DOTW - Actresses

supercool3 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago

The film industries still continue to be male-dominated even today. The popular actors have mass fan followings and the audience simply loves to see them on-screen. In fact, many times the success/failure of the movie rides on the shoulder of the actor and their star power. But in all this craze, are the actresses/heroines being sidelined?

Do you feel actresses are getting enough recognition these days? Are they being given a platform by their producers to be able to prove their talents and show what they are capable of? Or are they continuing to be reduced to just songs and romance in the movies?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

supercool3 thumbnail
I think actresses are getting a chance to play different types of roles these days that are performance-oriented. But that doesn't seem to happen often. And even if they do get such an opportunity, they immediately go back to playing the usual flowerpot type roles in a commercial, hero-centric movie again.

However, there's nothing wrong in being part of a hero-centric movie. But the problem there is that, there aren't many actresses who seem to be capable of playing both type of roles. And yes, it isn't easy to play a one-dimensional character either 

Personally I feel that whenever I get used to and start liking an actress in performance-oriented characters, I can't seem to like the same actress in roles that requires her to not do much. For example, I can think of Samantha. I absolutely loved her in Ye Maya Chesave, Baana Kathadi, NEP/YVM. But when I saw her in a movie like Attarintiki Daredi, I felt disappointed. She just didn't seem to fit the role at all.  
Asherkibiwi thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
i dnt watch films much but that 'soch' did changed n film industry. in this new generation films womens characters hav importance as much as d male lead...some films r revolves around a female character. ..so I would say now female leads r nomore used jst n songs or they r sidelined. ..they too can do strong& powerful character . 😊
supercool3 thumbnail
^ I especially agree with the last bit. They can do strong and powerful roles. But how often do they come across those type of roles. 😕 Sometimes they do these fantastic roles once in a while, and then go back to being sidelined in the next movies that follow. 
munnihyderabad thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Do you feel actresses are getting enough recognition these days? 
Recognition is there not for the roles or the strength of the characters, but they are recognized by the male lead opposite whom they act and what type of songs they get in the movie and the more powerful the male lead is opposite the actress, the actress gets more recognition 

Are they being given a platform by their producers to be able to prove their talents and show what they are capable of? 

Nope, unfortunately, gone are the days where female lead characters were on par with the male lead. 
If a producer attempts to make a movie with strong female character, it is labelled as a heroine-oriented movie and no big heroes would prefer to act in that movie and the heroines career will end there after 2 such movies ... so strong woman characters are almost the scene of the past.

Or are they continuing to be reduced to just songs and romance in the movies?

ATM, no hopes on any strong roles for actresses, they will be confined to songs and romance , I feel 

so, Male characters are becoming strong and powerful, female characters being reduced to songs and romance 
Edited by munnihyderabad - 10 years ago
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Hi.. am new to this forum..
Personally I feel the producers should just skip the heroine role if it is not really required for the film.. Nowadays they come only for a scene that is followed by a song.. 

Bad news is that some heroines do feel good to do these roles as they are less complicated and best paid 😕
-Nakshatra- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Nope I don't think so. It was during Balachandar's era we had a lot of women oriented scripts/films. Now not much. Very few good films that too once in a blue moon. Like Mozhi, 22 Female Kottayam.
We can count the no. of films with female protagonist in the last decade. We are getting regressive as the years pass by. 👎🏼

Actresses hardly get recognized that's why they don't take risk.  Look at Pooja, one Naan Kadavul and she is not even considered for commercial projects not that I care. I prefer she does one good film for an year. 
Edited by -Nakshatra- - 10 years ago
Mani-RK thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Yes because Heroines are offered only flowerpot roles except few like anushka if i think about the acrtress who can carry the movie on their shoulders i can only think of anushka
samantha was th reason for YMC being hit but thats it