Week One - Hits and Misses

Posted: 10 years ago
So we are done wih the first week of the much anticipated show and here is what I felt

Hits:

Direction- Siddhart Snegupta is amazing when it comes to direction especially dessert scenes. One of the best protrayal of the beautiful yet cruel terrain. One just has to see Gulaal on Star Plus to believe it. Barring a few filmy exaggerations and the fall scene, he has been very good once again. Too bad he will in all likelihood leave after setting up the show.

Cinematography- Another huge pllus point for the show. It makes for amazing viewing

Background score/Music: its so apt and touching. Stays with you for long

Outdoor locales: Its a pleasure to watch different locations instead of the same rooms amd house. I know they will eventually shift indoors but it is nice while it lasts

Costumes: Thumbs up to the costume department (minus the length of Paro's ghagra which sometimes seems a lil short for perfection).

Production value: Its bloody good. they have spend money and it shows. RR sets high standards for a TV show. The only concern is whether they will be able to sustain it for long because they have been unsuccessful in this department in their past ventures which are suffering from penny pinching. Hope they dont repeat the story here too.

Chemistry: Its palpable and how. IMO chemistry though has a lot to do with the paired actors, is not just about them only. it has a lot to do with the situations created and the execution aswell. RR works on all fronts for now. Casting SI and Ashish has to be one of the best decisions the PH took

Ashish: I had no idea abt his work before I got to know he is finalised opposite SI for a new show and was sceptical. But he put all doubts to rest. He perfectly fits the bill of Rudra and how. He has got that toughness, screen presence and and appeal to pull of the rustic look. He not just looks Rudra but is good at emoting as per the different situations too. His voice is the only thing I will probably need time to get used to

Misses:

Violence: The impetus on viloence is too much for my taste. Funny thing is that it doesnt bother me much when I watch it in a 2 hr movie but something about the daily dose in a tv serial which is an intense love story is mildly disturbing. Of course I know its an integral part of the story considering the backdrop of the love story, yet I would like it if it was toned down a bit

On the fence:

Sanaya Irani: The reason I was een interested in the show in the first place.
She looks pretty as Paro, an does the shy coy girl well. But somehow, I cannot connect to her as a Rajasthani girl. To me she still has that city bred air, more so thanks to her accent. That is one aspect they dont seem to have worked on. And a litlle toning down would help IMO.

Story: The premise is good. Nothing earth shattering but then it mostly never is in love-hate stories. Bow the off screen IVs of ST and SI have left me a litlle worried more so given Nautankis history. they all seem to be able to define the male leads character very well but are a tad vague /not talking to the same extent about Paro's character. I hope the story is more or less balanced from both sides

PS: apologies for typos/grammatical errors if any
Good review. Agree on all counts. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Nice post.. Agree on all points...
Originally posted by NalayakShaitaan

So we are done wih the first week of the much anticipated show and here is what I felt

Hits:

Direction- Siddhart Snegupta is amazing when it comes to direction especially dessert scenes. One of the best protrayal of the beautiful yet cruel terrain. One just has to see Gulaal on Star Plus to believe it. Barring a few filmy exaggerations and the fall scene, he has been very good once again. Too bad he will in all likelihood leave after setting up the show.

Cinematography- Another huge pllus point for the show. It makes for amazing viewing

Background score/Music: its so apt and touching. Stays with you for long
Every time i finish watching the episode i am humming the song for nearly an hour! It gets stuck in your head!!Awesome song!

Outdoor locales: Its a pleasure to watch different locations instead of the same rooms amd house. I know they will eventually shift indoors but it is nice while it lasts
I am actually curious as to how are they going to show indoors...i so dont want rudra and paro married just for the heck of it and if they have to be shown under same roof i hope the CVs give a valid reason for it

Costumes: Thumbs up to the costume department (minus the length of Paro's ghagra which sometimes seems a lil short for perfection). 
Well i dont like her chunri style...not at all rajasthani look...but the ghagra can be a little short...in rajasthan the ghagras are a little above the ankles...atleast thats how my grandmothers used to wear them...so thats ok for me...but i wish the chunri was draped properly.

Production value: Its bloody good. they have spend money and it shows. RR sets high standards for a TV show. The only concern is whether they will be able to sustain it for long because they have been unsuccessful in this department in their past ventures which are suffering from penny pinching. Hope they dont repeat the story here too.

Thats bound to happen sooner or later...the money crunch will be there...i just hope the story is strong enough to keep us hooked.
Chemistry: Its palpable and how. IMO chemistry though has a lot to do with the paired actors, is not just about them only. it has a lot to do with the situations created and the execution aswell. RR works on all fronts for now. Casting SI and Ashish has to be one of the best decisions the PH took
They have hit a goldmine with that one!

Ashish: I had no idea abt his work before I got to know he is finalised opposite SI for a new show and was sceptical. But he put all doubts to rest. He perfectly fits the bill of Rudra and how. He has got that toughness, screen presence and and appeal to pull of the rustic look. He not just looks Rudra but is good at emoting as per the different situations too. His voice is the only thing I will probably need time to get used to
So far i cant stop drooling over him!!! And i agree with you about his voice...is it just me or he speaks a bit too low??? You know...trying to be all serious and rugged??? He has very few dialogues so far and i have to strain myself to hear them...but then again it could be because of my ipad too...hopefully future episodes will be better!

Misses:

Violence: The impetus on viloence is too much for my taste. Funny thing is that it doesnt bother me much when I watch it in a 2 hr movie but something about the daily dose in a tv serial which is an intense love story is mildly disturbing. Of course I know its an integral part of the story considering the backdrop of the love story, yet I would like it if it was toned down a bit

Well i am hoping this violence will last as long as they are in the desert...once they shift indoors hopefully no more blood and bullets

On the fence:

Sanaya Irani: The reason I was een interested in the show in the first place.
She looks pretty as Paro, an does the shy coy girl well. But somehow, I cannot connect to her as a Rajasthani girl. To me she still has that city bred air, more so thanks to her accent. That is one aspect they dont seem to have worked on. And a litlle toning down would help IMO.

Story: The premise is good. Nothing earth shattering but then it mostly never is in love-hate stories. Bow the off screen IVs of ST and SI have left me a litlle worried more so given Nautankis history. they all seem to be able to define the male leads character very well but are a tad vague /not talking to the same extent about Paro's character. I hope the story is more or less balanced from both sides

With all the promotion of rudra as indian othello they seem to have either forgotten about parvati or are planning some surprise package for that! Maybe they thought that SI will carry fwd paro with her popularity and its Ashish who needs more promotion hence lets concentrate on that...but in one week only thing about paro is cleared is that she is troubled but shy and innocent...i hope they have planned something more for her...i for one cant wait to see an angry paro...just one of my wish!!!๐Ÿ˜‰

PS: apologies for typos/grammatical errors if any

Nice post!!! Loved reading your analysis!!! Hopefully you will make it a weekly/daily routine๐Ÿ˜Š
C ya around!

@Shweta 1691: I dont want Rudra-Parvati married for the heck of it either. With Rudra probably killing her husband, I dont see it happening. Hope they dont prove me wrong.

Thanks for the info on the Rajasthani clothes. The gaghara looked weird to me but then if that is how they are supposed to be then so be it. And yes the dupatta can be draped differently for sure. I think its their attempt to make Parvati look different.

As for money crunch, yes it will come but I hope it doesnt become as bad as their current shows are

@promotions: I used to follow their maiden serial and that is what makes me uneasy on this front. Plus GH being the writer is another point of concern. He does thevinitial phase well but can seem to denvelop more than one character at a time. I think we might get angry Paro in the start, they all start well and are fiesty when required but its the later phase where they falter.

Thanks for the feedback. will try and write every week till the show hooks me

@aruni50218 and CoochiKoo: Thank u
Wonderful post!I agree on almost all points except one or two. I dont mind the violence. It makes it seem more realistic. Because the story deals with the army and a village whose anndaats deals in arms. Besides almost all the good movies I have seen on Rajasthan have some violence.  As for Sanaya, her accent needs a little improvement but otherwise she is quite relatable to me at least. The only Rajasthani girls I know are from Jaipur and they speak normal Hindi. As for Parvati , I think they have a surprise planned for us. Right now Paro is a girl who wad brought up with love which has helped her deal with her grief to some extent. Although she still has nightmares and a fear of fire She's mature and a little reserved with people but is playful with her close friend. And she dreams of being happily married.  Sounds like any average girl of 18/20 growing up in small town India. What they do further with her character remains to be seen. But I think we shouldnt expect a fiery tigress anytime soon. That will take time. She's too shy and innocent for that.
Very well written review , it felt like I was reading an article in the paper ๐Ÿ˜Š
Nice review. Agree with your points.

Ashish is a good find and fits the role well. Once they move away from outdoor shooting the violence will come down I expect. 

Sanaya needs to work on her accent; she has admitted that she had problems with the language so hopefully she will work on it.
As for the costume, my understanding is that in rural Rajasthan/border, costumes are specific to castes, so much so that if you can see a group of women walking it should be possible to identify which castes they belong to.  Since the story specifically said Birpur has mostly people of one caste, I felt they could have dressed all young women similarly - the shorter lehenga or narrow dupatta could have been used for all.

Hope you continue with your reviews. 

nice review...ll b back later๐Ÿ˜ณ
Excellent analysis!!!!!
Early days yet for San... Lets wait and see!!!!