Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by Amara_B

Whether you've done a dissertation on it or not isn't really relevant. For the record, I live in the west too and my entire degree (and dissertation) was mapped around colonialism, post-colonialism, and race theory. Claiming racism is solely concerned with skin colour is a very pedantic and naive definition of racism as a concept.

Racism is not limited to remarks on skin colour, it also pertains to the stereotypes that people uphold and associate with any given race. For instance all black women are hard, all Asian women are suppressed, Indian men are rapists, black men are drug dealers and generally hoodlums, all poc have a white-complex, all east-asian parents are repressive.

All of these are racist stereotypes because they homogenise entire racial groups. When you use a racial stereotype to put someone down, or talk down to or at someone it goes past ignorance and becomes racism. These stereotypes are what allow occident/orient binaries and relationships to continue existing.

I ask you again, what did Lettermen say that you found to be racist??? The examples you gave me are valid but Lettermen didn't homogenous Indians nor did he state that Asian women are repressed! He made a comment on a 30 year old woman living with her parents! There's nothing racist about that!!!!!
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by shorty123

I ask you again, what did Lettermen say that you found to be racist??? The examples you gave me are valid but Lettermen didn't homogenous Indians nor did he state that Asian women are repressed! He made a comment on a 30 year old woman living with her parents! There's nothing racist about that!!!!!

I did NOT say Letterman claimed Asian women are oppressed! I did however say he is condescending and panders to stereotypes, which he does. Making a comment on why or if it's common for '30 year old women to live with their parents'  (as you put it) is a racial stereotype; on a wide platform it promotes an 'alien' perception of orient practices. This is one of the south-asian practices that most people from MEDC's consider 'weird' and 'backward', so yes there is a racial stigma that comes with it.

This question along with the: 'are you going to have an arranged marriage', 'is your mum allowed to work', and 'is your dad a taxi driver' questions are racist questions that are often pitched to Asians living in the west, they are based on stereotypes that are often believed by the individual who asks them, and usually no matter what answer you give they will continue to believe the stereotype.

It's a form of racism. Maybe not an overtly or obviously damaging form of racism, but a form of racism nevertheless.

You can use umpteen exclamation marks and question marks, it won't change anything.

I don't want to be arguing over this endlessly, so that's me done.

Edited by Amara_B - 10 years ago