Should TV shows be rated like Films? - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago
I started to wonder after reading several topics in "Vaidehi" section. There were barely 13 year old kids commenting " Aryan is impotent" , and jokes like "Isnt it funny how Ayran wait in the living for Neel to be done every night...I find it really funny. What if one night Neel takes a really long time and Ayran is sleepy so he knocks and asks "whats taking you so long"

It made me think kids are getting so exposed to such adult situations, amusing themselves, some are disgusted ................all at a young age of 13 and 14 and even younger !

In Kasam Se they showed a detailed "suhaag raat " scene of Jai and Bani, although it was handled well, if i was a parent of a tean i would have not wanted such a extended suhaag raat scene and would have wanted them to show 2 flowers kissing. On the forum they had young adolescents commenting how romantic these scenes were and they watched it over and over again. I recall as a 13 year old i had to sneak in mills and boons from my parents and would have died from embarrasement if i was caught reading it.

I remember watcing a trailer of some serial in some Star Channel that had Sangeeta Ghosh that showed a suhaag raat scene. I must say it shocked me again.

In the US shows that have explicit scenes and adult situations like sex in the city, Dead like me, Six feet Under come on pay channels making it easy for parents to control what the children view. When these shows are then later shown on National channels they at least censor it !!

Will rating shows like Vaidehi and even Ek Ladki Anjaani see, as PG-13 help???? Should kids under 13, or over 13 watch it with out parents present ???

My debate topic is:

Shouldn't these shows come either with a rating warning parents or shouldn't they censor such scenes.

Even if they did , do you think parents would take heed of such warnings and stop them from watching such shows or the episode that has these "suhaag raat" scenes ????? Will rating it help at all ???!!??

Some young teans feel they can't watch the scenes shown on TV with their parents , so should they be watching it alone then ? Doesn't watching them behind their parents back make it wrong ?

The DM members will know i am against almost anything being banned, but i FAVOUR censorship.😳

Last question, am i being too prudish in this situation.😳

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
good topic aparna di πŸ‘ πŸ‘

yea...i too think tht not just dramas..but bollywood films as well need rating....when i go 2 watch an american movie or when i watch an american show on tv, based on ratings i know what age group it is appropriate for. indian shows and movies both should be rated so that it is easier for parents to decide what their children should or should not watch
Definitely yes....

But moreso,I think its the parents' responsibility,,...Every show these days have some explicit scenes...Kaisa Yeh Pyaar hai went the whole hog by shooting a love making scene between Kripa and Prithvi,and that I feel is the boldest scene till date....

Every show has some explicit scenes..Even shows like Jassi,which were quite popular with the kids,got a bit explicit at one point of time 🀒 ....Teens these days are very much exposed to all adult matters,especially after the elctronic media made inroads....

I am a person who has always felt that everything has its time....and as one grows up,one must gradually start getting exposed ,rather than watching something on television,and then get confused

Tv shows DO need to be rated,and when there is any explicit love making scene that is going to be aired,the show must announce and warn the parents many days in advance.....Parental guidence(or what is it called??something to that effect rightπŸ€”) is
very much needed

I think indian shows and movies should be rated. It is a good system to have. With the movies made for adults, people under 17 should not watch. You see so many kids doing crime and when they are ask what brought upon their crime, they say tv, movie, or video games.
Lolz, that post in the Veidehi section was mine, and im not 13 πŸ˜† See, the issues some of the shows are dealing with are mature. So I think its better if they out a ratin in the show. Like my sister is 9, she isnt allowd to see WB 11 shows liek One Tree Hill or The Bedford Diaries. And in movies..dude, do you know how uncomfortable I felt watching KANK sitting right in the middle of my paretns? If I knew, then I wouldnt have gone to watchi t with them, or at least would have sat in a different row, my 17 year old cousin was saying that he fel like crying while watchin itsince he was next to his parents. πŸ˜† So, i really think they should be rated. but do you really think a 13 year old doesnt know whats going on? They do, and they didnt find out from the show, they found out from school and their friends.
Originally posted by Desi Pride

Lolz, that post in the Veidehi section was mine, and im not 13 πŸ˜† See, the issues some of the shows are dealing with are mature. So I think its better if they out a ratin in the show. Like my sister is 9, she isnt allowd to see WB 11 shows liek One Tree Hill or The Bedford Diaries. And in movies..dude, do you know how uncomfortable I felt watching KANK sitting right in the middle of my paretns? If I knew, then I wouldnt have gone to watchi t with them, or at least would have sat in a different row, my 17 year old cousin was saying that he fel like crying while watchin itsince he was next to his parents. πŸ˜† So, i really think they should be rated. but do you really think a 13 year old doesnt know whats going on? They do, and they didnt find out from the show, they found out from school and their friends.

We all know what 13 year old kids know.  But as a grown up i would be furious at my teanage kid if i catch him speaking about adult issues.

I simply feel if one can NOT watch a show or a film with your parents ( when you are under 18) then you MUST NOT wtach that show behind their back.

I believe shows like Vaidehi are PG-13. You must be over the age of 13 and MUST sit with your parents to watch it. If you are alone and watching it then i am sure your parents will not be happy about it. And here most teen and older debators have confessed " My parents are always right and we must always listen to them" So does that make it right that children( teans  are child ren too BTW) are hiding it from their parents and watching it ????πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

And this is the same point i raised with KANK , if you are embarrased to watch it with your parents and are under 18 then you should not be watching it alone. These shows and movies need parental guidance for children under 18 !!
Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago

Originally posted by Aparna_BD

We all know what 13 year old kids know.  But as a grown up i would be furious at my teanage kid if i catch him speaking about adult issues.

I simply feel if one can NOT watch a show or a film with your parents ( when you are under 18) then you MUST NOT wtach that show behind their back.

I believe shows like Vaidehi are PG-13. You must be over the age of 13 and MUST sit with your parents to watch it. If you are alone and watching it then i am sure your parents will not be happy about it. And here most teen and older debators have confessed " My parents are always right and we must always listen to them" So does that make it right that children( teans  are child ren too BTW) are hiding it from their parents and watching it ????πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

And this is the same point i raised with KANK , if you are embarrased to watch it with your parents and are under 18 then you should not be watching it alone. These shows and movies need parental guidance for children under 18 !!

i dont htink KANK is a rated R movie...i just didnt wanna watch it wuth my parents cuz well..i dont rly share dat kind of a comfort, but theres nothing wrong the movie...dey didnt show anything bad

Originally posted by Desi Pride

i dont htink KANK is a rated R movie...i just didnt wanna watch it wuth my parents cuz well..i dont rly share dat kind of a comfort, but theres nothing wrong the movie...dey didnt show anything bad

Oh no KANK should be rated PG-13 ( 13 year and over can watch under parental supervision)
[Quote=Aparna_BD]So does that make it right that children( teans are child ren too BTW) are hiding it from their parents and watching it ????[/Quote]

Ahem ahem! Aparna di.. with the exception of those teens who are 18+ πŸ˜†

[Quote=Desi Pride]i dont htink KANK is a rated R movie...i just didnt wanna watch it wuth my parents cuz well..i dont rly share dat kind of a comfort, but theres nothing wrong the movie...dey didnt show anything bad [/Quote]

Desi Pride, This is what Aparna di is talking abt.. they might not have shown any thing bad.. but they have dealth with a bold theme and issue... something which under 18 may not be able to understand.. becoz extra martial affiars are no games.. they are serious adult issues... U DO need parents besides u to decide wht to watch and wht not 😊

[Quote=Aparna_BD]Last question, am i being too prudish in this situation. 😳
[/Quote]

NO! im in the same league 😳 Even in Pakistani serials when the wedding night is shown in a serial as groom giving a ring to bride and talking romantically... i wasn't that comfortable to watch with my parents when i was 13 😳 πŸ˜› so i just slipped away... u know... responsible teens πŸ˜†
Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Oh no KANK should be rated PG-13 ( 13 year and over can watch under parental supervision)

I agree. KANK should be rated PG-13. Some level of maturity & guidance is required to watch that movie.

And as for TV shows, they should definately have a rating. Shows like Vaidehi or ELAS (in the beginning with artificial insemination storyline) should have some kind of age limit on them.

Edited by J. - 17 years ago