R Indians good at adapting western movies

Posted: 17 years ago

Are Indians good at adapting western movies and soaps???

I watched Aap Ki Khathir today,and i must say,it was terrible rip off of The Wedding Date🤢(which itself wasnt that phenomenal movie and thus it beats me as to why it must be remade in hindi😕)..The movie was bad,acting was at the best low to middling,and songs were 🤢😭🤢

We have the N number of rip offs....Most of them being disastrous replicas of the orinigal🤢

and the less said about the soaps ,the better..soaps like Jassi and Ek Ladki Anjaani Si are adaptations of popular Spanish televovas..and shows like Dancing with Stars and fear Factor too are adapted to the Indian tube

Soaps like JJKn and ELAS start off well,and somewhere in the middle,the makers choose not to follow the Spanish storyline,and implement  their hackneyed desi ideas 🤢,and thus ruin serials...The best example if that of JJKN

So my question is,are Indians generally bad at adapting hollywood movies to indian celluloid???Why is it that most of the rip offs(Murder,Aap Ki Khathir,Zeher) are so pathetic...🤢.With movies like Black and RDB,when one finally thinks that Indian cinema has turned a corner,we're yet again back to square one with such crappy rip offs 🤢

your views😊

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
I agree, but i you use the same story line, as the real show/movie then itz not really you, itz the other person. I write a FF, and i truly all of my ideas are not original, i get an idea from anothe ff and change it around.I understand wut ur trying to day they movies do suck, but itz you!!!! it has to be u, i they use the exact same cocept then itz not u
One more thing is,the blockbusters of the year(RDB,Fanaa,Krrish,PHP,Dhoom 2(which would definitely be a blockbuster)) etc are original stories...

Remaking a hollywood movie isnt wrong,provided the directors do justice to the original script(a la Zinda) ...When they try too hard to make it a desi,they fail.....
I am not a fan of Hindi films ripping off English films !! I haven't liked many. I can't just remember the names of the one i like yet.
Buffie, the thing is that the directors just do not want to admit that they have copied from a hollywood film. And hence they introduce all the twists and turns that really spoils the whole original script. They just want to show that they are working on their original script and not the copied one. You tell me - who will admit that it is not theirs but copied one????
i think it can be made well but i think practice makes perfect so hopefuly - in our life time hollywood copies in bollywood will be gud one day!!!...

i personally dont mind the concept but do mind how its shown...sometimes it reali is bad ...i guess trial n error! 😆
Well, first off, I think bollywood can do MUCH better! They don't have to copy other scripts to prove that our indian movies are just as good as Hollywood movies. Iam sure that if most directors don't copy scripts, out hindi movies could do soo much better. I agree the directors can do better but its not all their fault our indian movies re being westernized. I mean, the west is being influenced so much that nowadays, everyone and everything is being westernized one way or another!
I agree buffie-not once have I come across a decent remake...

Its just like the remixed soings which happen to be everywhere "Worhtless pieces of ear damaging trash " as a good friend of mine calls them 😆

Shows like Fear Factor didnt do to well in india, but Indian Idol and Nach Baliye are quiet popular (even though some still may prefer the orignal version)...

So, i really dont mind the "borrowing" as long as the show/movie keeps u entertained and u dont end up thinking why u wasted your time and money on a rubbish ripped off movie or show 😛
Yeah, I think its dumb how they try to re-create a english movie in hindi. I think its funny, and every re-make turns out so bad, because they try to hard. I think it's fine if take aconcept and tell the story in your way, but like Murder was just Unfaithful with additions of some songs. I think writers should think harder, there are so many stories to tell, its sad if they have to take them from other writers.

ps- black was a copy of a english movie too
Originally posted by abhijit shukla

Not entirely true. 'Parichay' was a good version of sound of music. 'Sholey' was inspired by 'Magnificient Seven' and 'Seven Semuriais', 'Devta' was 'La Miserable', 'Masoom' from 'man, woman and child'...there are a few good otherremakes. The difference is that artisres like Gulzar, Shekhar Kapoor, Sanjeev Kumar, Amitabh Bacchan and Nasseruddin Shah are capable of taking something and giving it back as much or even more back to make a peice or art their own. The Bhatt clan and thier clones are not!

Another recent time movie would be "Dhoom" which was inspired from "Torque". Though I did not find "Dhoom" that great, but I must say the made a presentable movie from a original C grade movie.